Looking for Liftout or other idea

hamltnblue

Hello All

For about a year I've been using a pseudo lift-out on my layout. My addition was installed diagonal to the original layout and is attached by a bridge with 2 mains. Each time I hook up the bridge I connect the track with joiners. My problem to date is that the tracks enter the bridge at a decent angle. has anyone here done something similar and/or does anyone have any ideas on changing this to a liftout or other that wont require me to screw with joiners each time?

Here's a side view of the 2 sections

IMG_0177.jpg

A couple of angles on the current bridge:

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0175.png

This would be perfect for the swing gate a guy showed a few weeeks ago. Cutting the tracks at an angle and the gate on an angle made it all line up better. I was searching around for the thread but missed it somewhere.

Thanks. I'll study that for sure. The only issue that I might have is the lack of room for a swing out. Maybe I can convert the idea to a pull out.

You could always keep the liftout, but adapt it slightly.

Using the image below, build the framework so that the board can only be pushed so far to the left. Not sure if this is already the case as the image isn't at the angle required to see it. Then a fixing of some sort to hold it firmly when the RR is in use.

Lay the rails over the join, using copper clad board at the edges, remembering to cut a slot along it between the two rails to avoid short circuits.

Cut the rails flush with the edge of the board and the lift-out section.

Then when you remove and replace the lift-out section it should go back in the same place and the rails are already aligned. There is no reason why you are required to use rail joiners, they don't generally on modules.

The only possible problem could be the expansion/contraction os the board and rail, but this is usual in the world of modules and can be overcome.

HTH
Angie

Thanks Angie.
Underneath both ends there is a door hinge that aligns the section and holds it in place.
Do you have a pic or example of the copper clad board in use? I'm trying to picture how it would be used.
Thanks

Wondering if one could construct something out of steel wall studs to keep things more dimensionally stable... Steel plate? Prolly too heavy...

lift out

Lift out, swing out, swing up, swing down, What ever you decide on, the most critical issue is "repeatable precision". By that I mean, always returning to the same position within about .005" although the gap in your joint is not quite that critical, you might get away with as much as .060".
If you chose to swing up, down or sideways, you will need to start with some sort of precision, machined hinge and some sort of precise locating pin and bushing on the other end. You could fix the pin and bushing in place by drilling an over sized, mating, hole in both your fixed bench top and your swing section then using epoxy putty, cement them in place.
Your base board should be as stable as possible, as mentioned before "steel stud". I personally would lean towards a piece of well seasoned hard wood, most of the dimensional instability in wood, due to humidity or the lack of humidity, takes place across the width and not the along the length.
Having re read what i just wrote, it sounds like I know what I am talking about, well SURPRISE, it's all in the mind.
Good luck with you progect.
Mac

What ever bridge type you pick you might think about using 2-3 PC ties to solder the end rails to. You could even do it by soldering the end rails to brass screws. Either way the end rails will be very firm. Seems like aluminum channel would work better than steel studs as they are very flexible. Thats what my modules were built from.

Back