Lookin for feedback on first HO layout design

luke1042

The dimensions are 75" 45" 48" 96" and 120" if you have any questions on which dimensions are which I can help answer. I am looking for ways to improve on this and other various comments. This is planned for mostly passenger operations.

Well, it is good for a first attempt, you kinda sorta have an idea of what you want. However, it does not seem cohesive. meaning it does not look like you really know the purpose of every track. It also doesn't look like there is much room for buildings, roads, parking lots, etc.

Unless that is a table in the middle of a room you'll never reach all the areas of the layout. If it is in the center of the room there will till be some places that will be very difficult.

I would suggest reading my Beginner's Guide to Layout Design, clickable from my signature. It'll take you about 10 minutes to read. It puts into perspective the kinds of questions you should be asking yourself.

Now passenger cars are pretty long. They don't do 18" curves very well. For a mostly passenger layout, you have a lot of freight-looking stubs.

agreed with chip it is not to bad but i'd say you have to much track and it is not really flowing together well. as is it looks like purely industrial district to me. the ladder on the left is the passenger station i take it? then the leads are quite short, the last one will not have room for even one car. and then you have a turnout that leads nowhere, perhaps it could be remnants of abandoned spur but i have feeling that it is not the reason you have it there. also notice your "S" curves. these are bad enough for any kind of rolling stock at any radii but for passenger cars on your tight radii they will be devastating and not only visually. remember the golden rule - between curves of opposite direction use a straight section at least as long as your longest planned piece of rolling stock.
asides chip's guide i suggest to take a look at the book in my sig (perhaps your library has it). they really explain how to create realistic looking rail arrangement within scale limitations. i sure wish i read it before planning my layout.

Thank You

Thank you to both of you I obviously need some rethinking and will post a new one more cohesive to passenger cars in a while. I did need help figuring out what the real difference is between 22" and 18" radius curves. Thanks you guys were a lot of help.

If you're going with passenger cars, I would allow for at least 24" minimum. More if you can work it out. I have 24" curves and I have an Amtrak consist and they barely stay coupled. I had to install long couplers on my Walthers Amtrak Superliners. Don't pay attention to the package, they say runs on 24" curves, but that's not the case without modification. Like I had to do.

If I could do it over again, I would have 28" radius curves.

Maybe, since you like to model passenger trains. Go with a simple single mainline with broad curves. And you can spice it up with a nice passenger station.

I agree with SpaceMouse. Reach will be an issue with your current plan.

It's so tempting to start with a 4x8 table, then add a foot, or make it an "L". Then add another foot. Yeah, you can lean over and reach the center, but think about all of the things that are not in the way. Hills, buildings, power line poles, etc. Then think about a comfortable reach for actually working on stuff. Personally, I am most comfortable reaching 12-18 inches to work on detail items.

THEN you will start to rationalize 'around the room' and 'donut' layouts. That's where I am :)

Let's say you have a 5x8 table. You can't just stick it in a corner. So in order to walk around it, you need about 2 feet of clearance. 2 feet out from one wall, then 2 feet out from the other. Now your 5x8 layout is taking up a 7x10 area. Thank of what you can do with 70 square feet.

Doug

Back