Long cars, short curves... what coupler?

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
Okay, I've got 73' centerbeams that need to go around some reasonably tight (18" unfortunately) curves and I'd like to give them all the help I can. The coupler box is mounted on a swing arm.

Do I want longer shanks or shorter shanks for this task? My brain does a bellyflop whenever I start thinking about the geometry on this question. I _think_ the answer is to go short, but I'm just not positive.

Holy kinkage, batman, those are 44 degree curves! If short doesn't work, try long. Do they work with the ones they have?

I like the shot you posted of them getting loaded. The 3006 and "Independence" took a bunch of those same cars toward Banks a little while ago.

They may not look the best (prototypical, that is...) but I wound up using Rivarossi 60 footers due to the small size of my layout area. It makes them look better on those 18" rad. curves...

Bob

Hi Jeff. Kadee makes some adjustable couplers for passenger cars that might possibly be just what you are looking for. They have adjustable length and are made for long passenger cars. If you can get them to work you could adjust them for best running. At 3.50 a pair they are worth a try.

Back