Locomotives Query

It's going to be the "Silver" version of the locomotive, which means no decoder (but it has a plug) and no sound, but I believe you are running DC, so that's not a problem.

It's a very nice locomotive - as you can see it's got a lot of detail parts.

I just bought one for $72.50 including shipping, so $77 including an Atlas car (Atlas is very good quality) and free shipping is an excellent price. They retailed at $135 or so, from what I remember.

I noticed in the photo, it appears to be missing the end handrails (typical for a fresh-from-the-box Atlas loco). If the box is missing, I'd verify with the seller that he still has the end handrails for you to put on, or that you can order replacements from Atlas. Maybe you could even fabricate your own from brass wire.

I contacted back the seller and he said that there are the horn and sun shield near the cab, and maybe the handrail as you say, are all missing, since he doesn't have the box. So those are 3 missing details from it, but I still see its got great detail, but only you guys can tell me if its still worth the money. Now he says its € 60 which is equivalent to US $ 84. Hmmm this is starting to sound a little bad. I still like the engine buy donno now if its still worth to get with that money.

Kindly advice, the offer is valid for the next 18 hrs :S

Thanks

Max, I have two Atlas Gold SD24s that are really great running locos and are well detailed. My understanding is the Silver is the exact same engines, but as pointed out...minus the decoder/sound.

The details that do not come attached to the locomotive, but are instead in a series of plastic bags taped to the bottom of the foam cradle in the box, include:
1. snowplows or mu cable trays (dependent on prototype)
2. mu stand
3. end handrails
4. sun shades
5. side window windscreens (clear parts)
6. brake lines (two bent pieces of metal I've found impossible to install)

It worries me a bit more that he doesn't have the box for it - that increases the opportunity for damage in shipping.

Actualy I run more after the engien then the decoder and sound, I mean I can add them later if I really want ( I guess there's the place already set for them, right? )

anyway, I mostly wanted to know if I'm being given a good price for the loco AS IS ( with some details missing ).

Jeff said they are being retailed at US $ 135, so for US$ 77 or US$ 84 its quite a good price, and I also have a grain hopper and free shipping.

HELL!!!

Its a hard decision to take, the price looks good, but with so many details missing it will be a little crude :S, on the other side I'm gaining an Atlas Grain Hopper and no extra shipping added.

GEEEEEEE!!!!

All BUY NOW prices I saw were over US$ 139.00 and have to add shipping to them, this package is only US $ 85.00 :D

Where am I gonna get all the missing parts from :S?

Chip,

Have I seen how you added sound to a GP38?

Oh, and of the missing parts, the only "really bad" ones are the handrails - you can get horns from Details West or Details Associates, and brass sunshades (significantly tougher than the included plastic ones) from A-Line.

Atlas ought to have some spare handrails by now.

Chip,

Have I seen how you added sound to a GP38?

SoundTrax makes or made an LC drop-in replacement. It was more sensitive to dirty track at the club so I added an N scale decoder for locomotion. I got a speaker w/ and enclosure from Tony's. It fits under the fan in the center. It was all very straight forward and I had to do no carving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone, for your help, I ordered the loco just the same, now I will see what I will invent to detail it, but I'm not worried much about that. The most important thing for me is that the loco runs well, as for details there's always an alternative :) after all we are hobbyists :)

Finally my MP15 has arrived, and looks great, I ran it for just a few mins to test it and I can say its awesome, smooth running, silent and steady. Could someone tell me or point me the way where I can find some photos of the prototype?

Here's the loco

MP15_1s.jpg

Hmm I took a look around, but only found out this picture of the 1552 & 1551. No sign of the 1541

844.jpg

Managed to find a picture after some surfing

MP1541BillWeibel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Max,
If you are looking for any ideas of cars or locos to buy, even anything in the hobby of Model Railroading, go to http://www.walthers.com and sign up for their catalogs. The catalogs show the sales and such. BTW, what is the minimum radius for your curves on your layout. If you want to run big cars(73-89'+) you are going to want to get 24'' radius curves. I also checked Walthers for the MP15 handrails. They have MP15DC handrails for Con-cor, but from what I saw, there are not any for the Atlas ones. I'm not sure if you could make the Con-cor ones fit, someone else here would have to help you with that.

Nathan

Back