Loco at my doorstep...but it's not mine...is it yours?

Excellent story, and kudos to you! I like the bit they said about the note and I hope you do it. :p

Athearn has gotten better aswell. When my cats pulled down my painted SD70M-2 and shattered everything their CS was great to deal with. Left message and they called right back. Didn't send anything for free but still great to work with LOL
I recently unshelled an N F45 that I bought from old new stock, it was one of the original Big Sky Blue releases from 4-5 years ago. One of the pickup wipers was missing, so I emailed Athearn asking if they sell replacements. They asked for my address so they could send me one gratis. Now unless they paid attention to the .au on my email address they wouldn't have known I was in Australia at that point, but it's been a week and they haven't said the deal is off so I can only imagine they're still doing it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a couple of N Scale stairwell kits from Imagine That Laser Art a few years ago and they mistakenly shipped me about five hundred dollars worth of HO buildings and elevated track structures. I did the right thing and sent the merchandise to the correct customer. I was kinda hoping ITLA would give me a gift certificate or comp my order, but even so it still feels good doing it right.

Greg Amer
The Industrial Lead
gregamer.com

Absolutely!

So has IM lived up to there end of the deal?

Steve,

Yes, indeed they did. A letter showed up last Friday containing a thank you letter, a check for the shipping, and a small but meaningful gift certificate for the purchase of IM products. :cool:

The whole experience reinforces what I've always thought--that IM is a first class operation that is customer service focused. I am happy to support their company with my purchases. :)

Take care,

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for letting the community know about your sort of 'uncommon' experience. Having a package sent to you, with all of your information correct, the only issue being, that 'it's not your item, to begin with,' would give me serious concerns regarding our internal tracking process for 'repair items,' if I were IM's owner. Although perhaps this is the 'one in a million' failure of IM's tracking system, maybe it isn't, because some people might not be as honest as you are.

If I sent a locomotive in for repairs, and never received either an acknowledgement of receipt by the manufacturer, or return of the product I paid for, that didn't work properly, within a reasonable amount of time, I'd be fairly angered and frustrated by the experience.

Given the whole way the hobby has gone in the last couple of years, regarding factory installed decoders, details, + newer drivetrains, etc, and the lack of the typical purchaser to 'fix it themselves,' and/or reliance on a 'factory located repair service,' it makes me sort of miss a less complicated time, all these bells and whistles were 'the only way to go.' It is very reassuring to know that at least one company realizes that 'mistakes can and do happen,' and that not very customer is dishonest.

I agree with everyone else; it reassures that there is still at least one honest man, and one company that cares about its customers, left in our hobby. Thanks for making my day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad,

I agree with everyone else; it reassures that there is still at least one honest man, and one company that cares about its customers, left in our hobby. Thanks for making my day.

Thanks again for the kind words. I was only trying to do what I know was the right thing to do.

Brad,

Thanks for letting the community know about your sort of 'uncommon' experience. Having a package sent to you, with all of your information correct, the only issue being, that 'it's not your item, to begin with,' would give me serious concerns regarding our internal tracking process for 'repair items,' if I were IM's owner. Although perhaps this is the 'one in a million' failure of IM's tracking system, maybe it isn't, because some people might not be as honest as you are.

If I sent a locomotive in for repairs, and never received either an acknowledgement of receipt by the manufacturer, or return of the product I paid for, that didn't work properly, within a reasonable amount of time, I'd be fairly angered and frustrated by the experience.

Given the whole way the hobby has gone in the last couple of years, regarding factory installed decoders, details, + newer drivetrains, etc, and the lack of the typical purchaser to 'fix it themselves,' and/or reliance on a 'factory located repair service,' it makes me sort of miss a less complicated time, all these bells and whistles were 'the only way to go.' It is very reassuring to know that at least one company realizes that 'mistakes can and do happen,' and that not very customer is dishonest.

Its not just this hobby its everything out there. Like I used to love working on my F150's years ago. Didn't mind getting dirty, things were easy to do. Now with my 2011 I look at it and go whooaaaa, where do I begin? whats this for? There is so much more junk under the hood im afraid to touch it. And thats how im sure some modelers feel. The old athearns had a motor, a long motor pickup from truck to truck and that was it. Then they progressed to a wife from each truck. Now, forget it. Decoders, lighting effects, resistors....oh my.

I think intermountain is the best two months after i got a expo86 cn sd40-2w from them the motor fried and the rplaced it and 3 weeks later i got it back

Well done Brad!

I am not surprised at all that you would do that. I don't know you personally, but most model railroaders are the nicest people you will meet.

Louis

Thanks for the kind words...
If any of you guys are ever in or around Charlotte, NC, drop me a line.

Back