Loco at my doorstep...but it's not mine...is it yours?

bigB

Came home yesterday after being out of town for a few days. Inside was the usual junk mail and bills. On top was a package from Intermountain. Strange, I thought, as I wasnt expecting the two locomotives I have ordered from them to arrive til Summer. And even then I expect it to come from a dealer on this forum, not directly from Intermountain.:confused:

So I open the package, and inside is a CN SD40-2W which has been repaired for warranty work. Nice looking locomotive, but it's not mine.:eek: I have never ordered a CN and never owned one. I have several ES44ACs & DCs of theirs and another ES44AC and a SD40-2 on order from IM, but not a SD40-2W.

The package is to me, to my address, with the only mistake being that my last name is misspelled by one letter. I dont have that common of a last name.

I've sent an email to IM to coordinate its return. Just wondering, anybody out there missing and awaiting a return of a IM CN SD40-2W?

Brad

Wow! Crazy!

But at least your a stand up guy, and notifying IM about it. Most people would probably just keep it.

Well, I know how much we care about this hobby and I know very well someone is looking forward to its return.

I was posting this not just to tell the slightly bizarre story, but mainly to see if anyone on this board is missing it or knows someone who is. You know, that whole 6 degrees of separation thing...

Brad

Interesting mix up Brad. Have you ever done business direct with IM? That might explain how they had your address. A typo when preparing the shipping label would have brought up your mailing info. However it happened my hats off to you.

Good to see somebody doing the right thing.

Mike,

Yes I have done biz directly with IM. About 8 months ago, I sent off my CSX ES44AC to them after it developed a squeak/grind under the shell. They repaired it free under warranty repair. Also, theyve sent me a couple replacement handrail parts for the brittle handrails on these locos. So that's how they have my address. That part makes sense.

Whoever was addressing the package label for this CN SD40-2W may have just transposed my name and address to the actual owners because of our close proximity in their customer database. I don't know. Interesting that the warranty paperwork/packing slip is also in my name too though.

I suspect I will hear from IM shortly.

Kudos, Brad, for being one of those rare commodities that we occasionally hear about.............an honest man! Reading this today gave me a little boost! Thanks!

Kudos, Brad, for being one of those rare commodities that we occasionally hear about.............an honest man! Reading this today gave me a little boost! Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. Just doing that old Golden Rule thing...

Brad

Just heard back from IM. I just wrote to them not two hours ago. Guys, their Customer Service is fantastic. Even when they make a mistake, they make it right and even have a sense of humor. Kudos to them.

Brad,

Thank you so much for letting us know about our error.

You are absolutely correct that we have sent you the incorrect locomotive! And I'm sure in the near future I will have a fellow modeler in Canada wondering where his locomotive is at!!

If you would be so kind as to put it back in the box and ship it back to me? Please send it to:

InterMountain Railway Railway
Attn: Service
1224 Boston Ave
Longmont, CO 80501

Please include a quick note saying "THIS IS RICHARD'S SCREW UP!!" - my receiving person will appreciate the humor. Also, let me know the cost of shipping and I will get you a check sent off along with a gift certificate for your efforts and troubles.

Nice, ya I live near IM, they are only like 30 min north from where I live. I went there once to get replacement parts. Everybody there was very friendly.

I had to laugh at the comment "some guy in Canada is wondering where his locomotive is..."

They have always taken care of me when I had screw ups or orders that arrived damaged. I just had 3 of the first run SD40-2W's replaced with the newer run units due to the missing paint on the walkways. They took care of me quickly and I am a happy customer, I will buy from them before I ever get anything from Walthers. I noticed Athearn, Atlas, Intermountain, Bowser take care of their customers unlike some other manufacturers.

wow, brad , you are a stand up guy & intermountian seems to be also kudos to you , ok one of us should email intermountian this thread :)

I've sent an email to IM to coordinate its return. Just wondering, anybody out there missing and awaiting a return of a IM CN SD40-2W?
Nope not me. My "missing" locomotive is a 4-6-6-4. I had really hoped it would come this week.

yea IM customer service is fantastic. When I was custom painting a NS ES44 i wanted to buy the CP handrails as they were already red. I called and spoke to them at lenght telling them i owned a NS unit, stripped it and repainted in it so I needed red handrails. I said i have my credit card ready when they need the numbers to jus say so. All they wanted was my name and address. 3 weeks later I got a box with all the CP Red handrails at no charge. I was like wow thats awesome! When I broke those red handrails I called again to buy more sets, they never wanted to take my credit card they just sent them. They even helped me out when I lost the numberboards from the cab. THey took apart a damaged CP unit and sent me those to use. Stand up company.

Athearn has gotten better aswell. When my cats pulled down my painted SD70M-2 and shattered everything their CS was great to deal with. Left message and they called right back. Didn't send anything for free but still great to work with LOL

Back