Let's get LOADED!!!.....

no big deal, I was just gonna bookmark it so I could buy it later. I just spent about $200 on a few projects for right now...

large trucks

Here's the photo's of the 2 mine trucks. The plastic one is aToyshop & the metal one is by Ertl. The 2 pictures shows the scale of the trucks next to an HO figure & the other photo is both w/the dump bodies up.
I've had these trucks for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more new loads on custom made flat cars.:D

One more w/a load of engine electrical parts.:)

Two flat cars

The CNR flat car I built from scratch. The tarps are made from tin foil.

Hi zoe, :)

That tarp is a really cool effect!

How did you keep the foil from getting all crinkly while you were forming it?

Greg

Drape the foil near the top of the load and work in the folds from top to bottom. Use light finger strokes to press the tarp over ridges and other details near the top of the load. Be gentle. Foil tarps are torn easily during draping. Bend the foil down the sides of the load with a soft make-up brush. Gently hold the top of the tarp down on the load with a finger of one hand while working in the folds. I used my finger to gently flatten the folds in against the load.

The tarp on the right looks better because it has a lot of dullcote on it.

Here's a couple autoracks I've loaded with some of the old die-cast cars from Wal-Mart.

3273777083_d13e91af6d.jpg

4204511899_dbbd2780d3.jpg

3273777091_2c42078a8f.jpg

Most of the cars/trucks were stripped and repainted into other colors from the actual AMC and Chevrolet color charts for those models - the Milwaukee Road bilevel is scratchbuilt on an Athearn 85' piggyback flat.

Matt Holman
Spring, TX

Tough acts to follow...

The Bay Bayou and Gulf (BB&G) recently developed a Special Loads Team (SLT) to deliver oversize loads cross-country. Their special train (which is still being modified) includes 2 former BNSF units (CF-7 and GP-15, both now equipped with Digitrax's new sound decoders), a crew car, an equipment and Right of Way Clearance Measurement and Observation car (modified dome car- not pictured,) an equipment flat with generator and air compressor(not pictured), and a special long caboose with bay windows AND a cupola (also not pictured).

The SLT's most recent assignment was the recovery of the last remaining DD-35, which derailed and slid down an embankment. (yes, the DD-35 still needs "wrecked") The units underframe and trucks were too damaged to repair on the spot, and being the last one, scrapping was out of the question. The SLT assembled cribbing to allow the big locomotive to span 2 heavy duty flat cars while the trucks ran on a separate flat.

(the DD-35 sits on 2 brass tubes set in holes drilled through the cars. The cribbing hides the tube and keeps the -35 from rocking. The cars are NOT coupled together, the DD load means they have to slide closer together and farther out. I will have dummy couplers installed soon.)

IMG_0829.jpg

Heading home after dropping the unit off at the shops:
IMG_0831.jpg

Here the SLT delivers a load on BB&G property:
IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

There have been rumors that a Chinese company have offered the BB&G a large contract to ship transformers from the port to customers inland, and that they will provide a large Schnabel car for it. Time will tell...

(I developed the SLT to give me a small, interesting train to work on out on the road, but to also be able to run across the country. Special thanks to: the Silicon Valley Model RR Club, San Jose, CA; the Columbia River Gorge MRRC, Portland, OR; and the Spokane MRRC for letting me run my units, and to the Spokane guys especially for letting me work out the bugs in the DD-35 train.)

My newest flat car load

Just finished the car today! I picked up the tactors at Toys R Us last weekend. A nice addition to my Co-Op Industry.

Very nice stuff guys!
Matt... where did you get those trucks????
I've been looking for just that style!

Wow, metal wheels aren't cheap. You used a whole bunch in your load! :D

I'm stockpiling the brown plastic Accurail wheels. They look nice and would work out very well as a load.

I'll post my photo when I finish assembling my load :D

Back