Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Autoracks anyone??
WMautoracks.JPG

Very nice. What year are those VWs? I'd love to find some vehicles dated 1974.

They would have to be pre-67. The split window went away in 1968. Which makes sense in the picture. The camaros look to be 67's. Wing windows went away in 68 for the Camaro as well.

Thanks.

I once saw a photo of VW bugs/beetles delivered on long flat cars, but can't remember the date of the photo.

I have a bunch of brown plastic Accurail wheels and I was wondering how present day railroads do bulk wheel loads. Do they load them onto flat cars? Gondolas? Do they arrange them in a specific way?

I have a bunch of brown plastic Accurail wheels and I was wondering how present day railroads do bulk wheel loads. Do they load them onto flat cars? Gondolas? Do they arrange them in a specific way?

Eric, the one and only time that ive seen a load of wheels was on a semi heading down the Northway.

Granted, it was heading south so couldve been coming from the Bombardier Plant, or it could be that there just isnt any yards around here that handle repairs. I have no clue if either of those explanations make sense, but theyre my guesses.

Flat car loads spanning two cars.

Okay, so very long items need to be transported. I've seen several model loads that have a long I beam spanning two flat cars. Is this really done on full size scale? If so, is it safe for long distances, or usually for short low speed moves?

Any maybe this is the wrong thread, but any full scale pictures?

Just curious.
Thanks,
Doug

I have a couple overhanging loads, this one is a couple 100' beams riding on two 60' flats.
The cradles aren't finished yet, one just swivels while the other has to slide four directions for curves. (physics ya' know)

I have a crane like that on my layout, its made by Siku,and its a Liebherr LTM1400 which has a capacity of 400 tons.Mainly diecast, with some plastic parts, its about as heavy as a HO loco.

Back