Let's get LOADED!!!.....

The next flat car load. Still dealing with the chain issue.
IMG_4532.jpg
IMG_4533.jpg

I am very impressed with the modeling efforts pictured on this thread. Some really great modeling.

Had this older (plastic) Walthers 8 axle drop-deck flat. I wanted to modify it to resemble the Kasgro Rail (KRL) 38181. I stretched the load deck from 20' to 38' to match the prototype, turns out the other dimensions match too, 68' over the end sills, and 92' over the strikers. I filled the deck voids with lead shot and glued them in with CA. The biggest challenges was trying to get some the piping in to match the plumbing on the ends. Used some IM trucks w 36" wheels that lowered to car a bunch, looks way better. I made the decals with my old ALPS printer, man, that thing is getting harder to use, only thing I can get it to print on is WIN98!
DSCN3904.JPG

DSCN3910.JPG

DSCN3912.JPG

Now mostly Red you can see how much longer the load deck is than the original Walthers model.
DSCN3914 (1).JPG

The prototype image.
KRL 38181  1.JPG

My model before being "loaded". The flex hoses between the span bolsters and car is the insulated lining of light bulb leads. Also the trainline hose is wrapped around under the ends to reflect the prototype using the same insulating leads. Coupler cut bars are Plano.
DSC01342.JPG

And now loaded. I made this car to be unloaded, only thing is, it might take as long to unload the model as it would the real one. All one has to do is push the pins out of the scratch built clevises, and lift the transformer off. But pushing those rods out aint gonna be all that easy, I used Moly lube to hold them in place, they are just small. Below it is in the ready tracks waiting for an outbound train. That transformer is an abused Kibri or similar kit, I chucked in the mill, removed the ends and lower sections and then rebuilt. Anyways another project almost done.
DSC01402.JPG

And finally here it heads out behind the power on an eastbound manifest drag.
DSC01411.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01411.JPG
    DSC01411.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 72

Back