Let's get LOADED!!!.....

A load I've been
IMG_3766.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg
worked on. A wrecked hopper load that is waiting chain to tie it down.

Well, here is a project I have been working on and off for almost a year.
First it was the problem of finding enough Evergreen Plastic pipe to make the load, ended up buying from Burbank CA, 10 bags (2 pipes ea) of 1/2" pipe, cut to 12" long. Then I needed a jig to aid the build of these loads, some scale lumber for the wood these loads sit on and separate. The pipe was another thing to paint, first was a coat of white primer, then took a long piece of wood strip glued a small cotton ball to the end, dipped in rust colored paint and painted the insides of the pipes and then painted about 2 scale' of the ends, masked the ends and painted the pipe with Rustoleum safety green that was decanted into a 2oz scalecoat bottle.
The jig has marked lines where to place the strips of lumber, so they line up with the channel plastic installed on the decks of the cars.
DSCN3677.JPG

below; You can barely see the wood strips under the pipe and the center wood upright pieces are inside the metal nuts used to hold it all together while drying, Used matt gel for glue.
DSCN3674.JPG

below; I next used 1/64 graphic tape to simulate metal banding around each set of 2 pipes, repeated this process until I had 6 sets of 2 pipes glued and banded. Then I started gluing 3 sets of 2, to make the load, I then used 1/32 tape to wrap the entire load. That was a challenge. I then placed scale 8x8 into the channels and applied glue to the strips under the loads, placed the loads on the car and let them sit over night, resulting in removable pipe loads on these 2 BLMA 89' flats. Kinda looks like this.
DSC00998.JPG

DSC01001.JPG

DSC01002.JPG

Being as these car have shift-able loads, there will be placement restrictions on trains, cant be next to tanks cars or other HAZMAT loads. Need to get some images of the MT cars, and post them too.
Thanks for looking.

I have a bunch of that black chart tape, if you run into a issue, 1/32 and 1/64. let me know if you need a roll, its fresh too. I am sure we can come to terms. BTW can I ask the source of your corrugated pipe? Very nice.
Tom-Iowa scaled engineering, Grain belt models pipe. Very nice people to deal with. Answered my email questions right away.

I like your pipe loads also. I have a few 89' flat cars I'd like to do your pipe loads on.

BTW can I ask the source of your corrugated pipe? Very nice.

Try using aluminum foil wrapped around a threaded bolt to make corrugated pipe. Simply unscrew the finished product off the bolt and paint or spray with Dull Kote or the color of your choice. Easy way to make loads for flat or gons.

Greg

Back