Length of train

Muskieman

How many cars do you normally pull? Been watching Videos most of the morning & seen to long ones which led me to the question.

My layout is small with a folded loop of about 52' main. The ruling grade is 3%..quite stiff. So, with a single heavy steamer, I can typically pull 12 normally weighted coal hoppers with plastic coal loads plus a caboose before I begin to notive some slipping. It is obvious when the slipping happens because my spline roadbed begins to resonate to the frequency of the chirping tires on the rail heads; otherwise the splines are dead quiet.

With lighter engines, the load tops out at 6-8 cars, or at three heavyweights. My BLI Niagara can just sneak four heavies and a front end reefer up the ruling grade, while my Duplex seems to do better (what I feel is a testament to the superb quality of that particular model when considering hits comparative complexity).

If you have two scale miles of open main, long trains behind lashed diesels is surely a thrill...or would be on any railroad. On smaller layouts, it makes more sense to shorten up and run "locals" with between 4-12 cars so that you can enjoy the entire train entering and leaving a scene.

To my way of thinking, at least.

The HO rule used on the layouts that I operate on is 12-15 cars per engines on 2% grades with articulated engines counting as two. This seems to work, but some engines can pull more. But if the number of cars exceed the limit, helper service is required by the operational rules.

Since my ruling grade is less than .5%, I can run just about as long a train as I want. Just for the heck of it, I did run a 50 car mixed freight once pulled by two SD-24's. It worked fine but you get into the dog chasing it's tail syndrome. I have about 65 real feet of mainline and the caboose disappears about one minute before the engines are back again. It's cool to watch a long train like that roll by, especially in a video, but not so great for day-to-day operations. My mainline trains are usually limited to about 15-18 cars and locals to about 10 cars. Yard transfers using my 70 tonner are five cars max.

On the main line I run up to 20 to 29, I have run 38 in the past however due to speeds and sidings this presented an interesting situation when I started my small town switching operations.
I switch 34 to 56 cars on the 3 yards while running a frequent main line.
My model uses the actual days work I have at my job, If I have a heavy day at work and I bring the paperwork home from the day I usually have to reduce the cars by half since our unit coal trains run 99 to 134 cars a day and the River line will pop an axle count of 388..... I cant do that in any way shape or form..YET.. { I have Lowes in my sights for next season}

For op sessions, I limit the length of up to 9 feet including the motive power in RailOp software. This will allow all trains to fit into passing sidings and also doesn't tie-up an operator with too much switching. Trains can have 3-5 cars or up to about 12-15, depending on places available in that route.
When I am just fooling around, I may hook up a long consist like I did the other day of 35 cars pulled by my new PCM Y6b. She didn't even sweat;) :) .

My length of train is governed by my inclines. I like to run a train unattended while I work on scenery. With five to seven cars, my Spectrum 2-8-0 can make it up the grade without having to adjust the throttle. It's a balancing act to figure out the right speed for inclines without going too fast through the flat areas. I actually like how the engine slows down to make it up the hill. I also use short trains so the engine is not chasing it's tail.

My main line (including pass-thru staging) totals ~65ft, and I try to limit my trains to a maximum physical length of 15ft including motive power and caboose. The number of cars varies with their length - meaning I can run 12-13 auto racks or 24-25 bethgons before maxing out.

Ultra-long trains have never thrilled me, especially if they're unit trains. When I get stopped at a grade crossing, I always feel a rush of excitement as the loco consist approaches and thunders past. But after the first dozen cars have gone by, the thrill is gone and I start getting impatient.

Your right Ken L , We have a coal generation plant near us and when your stopped at a crossing waiting for that darn coal train . you can be waiting there for a while and you get bored of watching coal go by after a few minutes !!!

Yeah Ken/Paul, but ain't it fun to watch a real long model train snaking around the curves and hills.;) :D . I know its impractical to run one as a norm, but kwool to look at:D .

Yeah Ken/Paul, but ain't it fun to watch a real long model train snaking around the curves and hills.;) :D . I know its impractical to run one as a norm, but kwool to look at:D .

Rex I agree, that's what modular layouts at train shows are specially suited for! Of course, they need to MU 6 model locos together to provide the necessary tractive force...

my smallest sidings can hold 1 engine and nine 40' freight cars so i try to keep my train at that. its a must when i have trains running in both directions and passing at sideings. if i am switching cars i may have a 15 car train doing laps wile i have a local out pushing cars to industries. i have a few inclines also so anything over 20 cars gets a little heavy for single steam and 4 axel diesels.

Since my layout is relatively small, I run about 9-11 cars max.

But, the Switchin' and Sippin' Society of North Carolina ran a 107 car train at the NMRA convention this year. I think they used about 3-4 locos to pull it. HO Scale. There's a video on YouTube of it.

Kennedy

Back