Layout Built In A Trailer?.....

SALRy

Howdy Y'all,Anybody ever built a layout or know of one built in a trailer?* An enclosedbox trailer not a travel trailer or mobile home.* I'm in a deep dilemma onwhere I want (or can) build my dream layout.* We, the ol' lday and I, werethinking of moving, but not now the way the economy is.* So we could havea bigger house for me to have a decent size train room.* I'm looking into adding on to our present house.* However the expense would be pretty high.* Even if I only want a 10 x 20 room addition.* The way I calculate itI'd be lucky to get it done for -$25,000- and most likely alot more.* O'kay, why not a trailer?* How about an 8.5 x 24 foot long car hauler type trailer.* The ones I've seen on eBay sell new for around -$4,200-.* I would definitelyhave to do some modificating, but it does sound promising..... What do y'allthink?* Bob

done right could it be made mobile to take to train shows? that would be super cool! or what about taking it to the LHS to work in the parking lot? When I worked in a boat store people did that all the time! :)

Containers are a lot cheaper. You can get a 45 foot container for about $1,000.00 & the delivery fee on average is $400.00. Most are heavily insulated, have large doors on 1 end & are easy to add windows or an A/C. The only problem is; you can't move it around.
You have to see about a building permit before putting it there unless U live out in the country. I've been checking into one for my metal shop where I make metal sculptures since I took over my big shop for my train layout. Anchor trailers in Tampa sells or rents them & you can find many more places on the internet.

Larry

I agree with Larry. Containers are built for rough handling and will last a lifetime. Car haulers are built as cheaply as possible and you're paying a lot of money for a wheels and a suspension you don't need unless you want it to be mobile. We put up a 20'x40' container as a control room for a fish screen at a dam and the whole shebang, including electrical, A/C, the container, and sheet rocking the walls was less than $5000 in California. I'm sure you could get it cheaper in Florida and it would be much more comfortable in the Florida heat.

Layout Built In A Trailer....

Thanks for the comments, guys. I also thought about the shipping containers as a "train room"....LOL. And there is a lot of merit to them
more then a car hauler trailer that's for sure. The main problem would
be setting one up on my property. I don't think the ol'lady and most likely
the county either would't let me put it up next to the house. It would
have to be installed further back on my acre. Which, unfortunately,
flooded during the back to back Hurricanes in 2004. Here in west central
Florida. The trailer has its good points too. The idea of being able to take
it with you I like. Plus, I could probably get away with not getting a
permit. I don't know.... I've been waiting over 40 years to build my dream
layout and I just feel that times is running out.:eek

Bob

Just keep in mind Climate Control... If there are big temp swings or moisture then you may have some problems. Container w/ AC sounds like the better long term choice. Either way have fun!

My trainroom is in a 24X40 Dean Steel building w/no insulation. I live in 1 of the hottest counties in south Fl. On hot days(95 or above) it gets 100 to 105* in my building. I usually don't last past 90* even w/4 big fans moving hot air. Heat or cold doesn't effect my layout or dampness. Dust is my biggest problem & I have to clean my tracks constantly.
Next Spring I'm installing some exhaust fans on 1 end of my building close to the ceiling.
Another small problem I have is Lizards, sm. birds & wasp nests.

Larry

We mounted our continer on a steel frame about six feet off the ground so it would be the right height to interface with the mechanical controls. I think the steel frame with stairs and a landing was about $2000. I imagine you could do this much cheaper with concrete posts driven to refusual and a perimeter steel frame. I don't kow how deep the high water mark gets but I know that raising it six feet is no big deal. It's just materials, a little enginnering for the frame, and crane rental for a day. Worth a thought anyway. I suspect a layout built in a car hauler is going to be in pretty sad shape after a few miles on the road even if you do try to move it.

My trainroom is in a 24X40 Dean Steel building w/no insulation. I live in 1 of the hottest counties in south Fl. On hot days(95 or above) it gets 100 to 105* in my building. I usually don't last past 90* even w/4 big fans moving hot air. Heat or cold doesn't effect my layout or dampness. Dust is my biggest problem & I have to clean my tracks constantly.
Next Spring I'm installing some exhaust fans on 1 end of my building close to the ceiling.

Larry

Larry how long does it take to bake a chicken on your layout during summer?:confused:

Sounds like my train room, a oven during summer and a freezer during winter:D!

My last florida intruder was two rats from next door! They went took the long black train to rat heaven:D They played with my trains more than me:rolleyes:

just an thought if you plan to move the trailer around alot

I drive semi trucks, RVs and all sorts of diffrent things at my Job. An empty semi container or even a enclosed single car hauler trailer has lots of vibration and bounces more over the roadways. It sounds like a great Idea but the trackwork and building will not like the bumps and will cause trouble if not secured down good. If the trailer has some weight to it or you got a trailer with adjustable tandem axel air ride that would help but it costs more $ I would hate to see you build a nice layout and have it vibrate apart on your first move.

hyst my .02
Trent

I live in Wisconsin and at all the big shows around here there is a group that has an N scale layout built in/on a trailer. It is approx. 24' long. A beautiful layout as well. Always one of the star attractions. The trailer is a 'goose-neck' type hitch and has removable sides for display purposes. I've talked with one of the builders and like expressed here, I asked about damage in route. His reply was that no major damage ever occurs and they are extremely happy with the results. Given the amount of mid-west modelers on this forum, I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned it yet.

Happy Modeling,

Johnny

If your zoning allows it, why not an aluminum utility building? You can get them 12x24, painted, finished inside to your specs if you want, and they aren't bad to cool/heat with proper insulating. They even make larger ones or you can put two side-to-side. To move, the building is on skids so just call the company and they will load/drag it up on a flatbed and take it to where-ever for a reasonable charge. There is a lot of competition with these, so the price would be right: guessing under $10k.;)

My trainroom is in a 24X40 Dean Steel building w/no insulation. I live in 1 of the hottest counties in south Fl. On hot days (95 or above) it gets 100 to 105* in my building. I usually don't last past 90* even w/4 big fans moving hot air. Heat or cold doesn't effect my layout or dampness. Dust is my biggest problem & I have to clean my tracks constantly.

Larry

Larry, I live in the Midwest. My train room is a steel garage, and it would get hotter than Hades in Summer and colder than a brass t*t in Winter if it wasn't for the 6" of insulation in the walls. It stays amazingly comfortable year-round. I only turn the A/C on (at 80 degrees) in Summer if needed when I'm actually in there, and the heat is set at 55 degrees in Winter, again only if I'm going to be in there. My electric and propane bills have been quite moderate since I started using that space for my trains in '05. Spiders and dust are my railroad's biggest problems. The dust takes more of a toll on the rolling stock and scenery than it does on the track.

Layout Built In A Trailer?....

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input on my layout in a trailer idea. I've decided to put
the "dream layout" concept on hold...again. Maybe in the future I'll come
up with a feesable plan, but for now it's off. However, all is not lost
and the "powers-that-be" (ol'lady) have relingushed and will let me build
a layout in the living room. Not as big a space as I would like, yet it will
give me enough room to work on my layout building talents. Thanks again.

Bob:)

layout built in a trailer

That is an excellent idea, and exactly what I'm doing. Couple of years ago the wife left me, and when I remarried, her kids think I'm after her money so things are a mite dicey. I picked up a single axel 8X12 enclosed trailer for $1200 and am building in it. If I have to move, I can just hook on and take my layout with me. Bench work is all screwed to the floor and walls so it will never move, shelves under the layout are secured to the wall and framework as well. The power cord goes out to a power pole behind the house and is simply disconnected and pulled into the trailer leaving the male plug outside.
I heat it with a small one pound propane bottle and attached camping heater. I'm ready now for anything, and my little toyota pickup hauls it nicely anywhere. No more teardown and rebuilding for this n scale guy!!!!!!!!

I was at a train show 10-15 years back, and a group had an O-Gauge layout in a large trailer. The side folded down making the layout run the height plus width of the trailer. I can't remember who put that on, but that was impressive. I think they had at least six different mainlines running, and as I recall, the scenery was pretty decent (mountains and the like).

I suppose you could do a search for it on Google or YouTube.

There was a supplier/manufacturer that had a traveling layout in a 32-foot trailer that traveled with the GAT show. Again, I think it was an O-gauge as mentioned. Haven't seen it for few years though.

Bob

In 1975 or 76 there was a trailer(low furniture van) w/the sides cut down to about 3ft high. It had a giant HO scale layout on it. There were steps at the back of the trailer & you could walk around inside the layout. he had a roof that assembled in less than an hour w/2 guys doing all the work. They traveled all over the US back then. The trailer was 48ft. long. They told me that they never had any problems w/scenery or buildings coming loose. It was like an outdoor HO layout.

In 1975 or 76 there was a trailer(low furniture van) w/the sides cut down to about 3ft high. It had a giant HO scale layout on it. There were steps at the back of the trailer & you could walk around inside the layout. he had a roof that assembled in less than an hour w/2 guys doing all the work. They traveled all over the US back then. The trailer was 48ft. long. They told me that they never had any problems w/scenery or buildings coming loose. It was like an outdoor HO layout.
That was Irv Saylor's Railroadeo. He used a retired Mayflower moving van, one of the early air ride trailers. I did some repairs on the layout when he was still traveling with it a bit, in the early 1990's. The control room was in the upper gooseneck area, and the entire right side opened up with plexiglass windows on several scenes. Irv has passed away, but his layout lives on in the train station in Palatka, Florida.

We have just built a new home in Northern Michigan. The better half and I are arguing over the basement. My layout or a family room. She has suggested building an out building in the form of a depot for the trains. I think it would be neat, but I also know who will have to build and pay for it. Takes all of the fun and excitement out of the project. Less money to spend on trains stuff.

I'm thinking of a C&O, NYC, Pennsy or NKP depot. All would be nice I guess. Add a "freight"door. would be rather unique. I need less expensive hobbies....

Bob

Back