Latest version of my trackplan

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I'm 90% sure I'm going with the 2006 (IANR) plan. (I'm gonna throw some CGW eqipment in anyway:) )
layout0820060pa.png

The ethanol plant will have extensive trackage- a small yard, loading of tank cars, and unloading of covered hoppers.

I'll be able to squeeze about a foot more out of each yard track.Also, the Right yard lead will be lengthened.

The "diesel shop" is planned to be a Walthers Diesel House, unless those end up being hard to assemble, then I'll get something like a 2 or 3 stall shop from Pikestuff. The Roundhouse really isn't neccesary, but I'll most likely still have it to house my steamers (which are unprototypical for my era). The yard this is based on the ex-CGW Oelwein yard. It is used today by Transco Railway Products, a freight car rebuilder. The yard simply acts as storage now a days:( So I'll be unprototypical by using the yard to classify freight:p . (modelers license, anyone?;) )

The "KAMPTON Branch" will be extended a foot or two, as I now see those industries won't fit if it's only 8'.
List of industries-
1-Cenntennial Mills (back wall only)
2-Brewery (back wall only)
3- Heritage Furniture (back wall only)
4-Columbia Feed mill (feed mill in 2006?;) )
5-Valley Growers assoc Grain Elevator
6-ADM elevator

I'll have acess to every side of the layout except the side that is the bottom (as it shows on papaer)
All curves are 22", except one. Motive power (for IANR) is GP38-2s, and I may also model IANRs F40PH. A pair of CGW GP30s will be added, along with a CGW S1, just for fun. If there are ever any six axles, they'b be SD40s.

If you decide to go with 2006, and I'm glad you did, the roundhouse is a tad out of date. I made the rest of my comments over there.

dingoix said:
...The ethanol plant will have extensive trackage- a small yard, loading of tank cars, and unloading of covered hoppers...
Have you dreamed up a mini-trackplan for your Ethanol plant yet? Inquiring minds want to know...:D

Chip, there IS still a roundhouse at the CGW Oelwein yard, its used for freght car repair now (I believe it's the paint shop). Besides, where would I keep my 4-6-2 and 2-6-0;)

Ken, once I find out more about the prototype and trackage needed, those inquiring minds will know.;)

Gandy, it is short, but the yard will be a few inches (maybe a foot) longer than shown on the plan. Also Why do you need a caboose in 2006?;)

On my branchline, I have a couple single-stall engine houses which I use as diesel houses. They're buildings that I got at a train show and are like the old Pola, Heljan, etc. buildings. They'll hold a 6-axle if they had to, but they're not really intended for anything more than light servicing. One is actually at a crew change point.

Kennedy

At Oelwein yard, the shops are no longe rused for anything, but on my layout I'll be servicing my motive power there. (modelers license:D )

dingoix said:
Chip, there IS still a roundhouse at the CGW Oelwein yard, its used for freght car repair now (I believe it's the paint shop). Besides, where would I keep my 4-6-2 and 2-6-0;)

Ken, once I find out more about the prototype and trackage needed, those inquiring minds will know.;)

Gandy, it is short, but the yard will be a few inches (maybe a foot) longer than shown on the plan. Also Why do you need a caboose in 2006?;)
So you will be able to fit a single autorack, or two 60' foot box cars. Still seems like a waste of track and space to me. The caboose was an example because it was a short car, and a possible prototypical use for such a short track. Besides you have a turntable, why are you worried about the possibility of a left-over caboose track??? You don't have a caboose for the 2-6-0, that you made a big deal to spacemouse about??? It seems your design philosophy is incoherent and arbitrary.

HaggisKennedy said:
I'd use that track as a RIP track. Put your bad ordereds there.Kennedy
A rip track needs to be accessible by vehicles and other repair and supply equipment. This one is surrounded by other tracks. Not a good candidate for a rip.

So you will be able to fit a single autorack, or two 60' foot box cars. Still seems like a waste of track and space to me. The caboose was an example because it was a short car, and a possible prototypical use for such a short track. Besides you have a turntable, why are you worried about the possibility of a left-over caboose track??? You don't have a caboose for the 2-6-0, that you made a big deal to spacemouse about??? It seems your design philosophy is incoherent and arbitrary.
Did you not read the above post?
the yard will be a few inches (maybe a foot) longer than shown on the plan
I just didn't want to re-do my whole plan to show that.

What made you think I have a turntable? There's going to be turnouts instead. For one, the Atlas TT wont even hold a 2-8-0, let alone a 4-6-2.

Ever heard of a Steam Excusion? That's what the steamers will be for since I do want to run them on occasion.

What do you guys think of the yard plan shown in Track Planning For Realistic Operation, with half of the tracks single-ended and 1/2 double ended? I could add 2 tracks to the small plan shown in TPFRO, and have 3 double-ended tracks and 3 stubs. I'll draw it out in RTS and see what it looks like.

It would be so cool to fit that JA yard on my layout, but alas, I have different needs than that yard serves. I don't know what you are thinking, but in JA's plans every track has a function and there is economy in his trackage. He thinks like a railroad would think and applies it to his layout designs.

Like this
layout082006yard18oq.png

The yard is pretty much based on JA compressed model RR division point yard. Except I added 2 tracks. I do think it's an excellent yard plan.

THATS a nice plan now! Working out the kicks slowly! I like how you adjusted the yard somewhat...

Just remember to extend the yard lead.

Now I'm assuming that you are going to run a 20 car train, right?

Okay, on your layout, you are running this 20 car train counter-clockwise. Car number 10 has to go to industry #6. There are 3 cars in that siding already, at it has to go all the way to the back.The middle car in that siding is empty and it has to go to industry #4.

How you going to get it there? (There's a question behind this question.)

Josh, thanks for the compliment. I like the yard too.

Chip, there will be 20 car trains. Before I get into your questions lets look at this- There will be a daily train that serves that ethanol plant and it will be 15-20 cars and it's highly unlikely that train will serve any other industries. Then there willl be a daily local to serve the industries, which will be 10 cars or less. (they may be combined, depends. I could either run one long train each day to serve industries or 2 shorter ones.)

Remember, the "branch line" will be a foot or two longer.
OK- to get car #10 to industry #6 (ADM elevator) Train comes down the left leg of the wye and stops just before exiting the wye. The engine and cars #1-10 uncouple. The engine pulls forward to clear the switch and backs up the cars into the other wye leg (bottom) once car #10 is in the clear, the engine and other 9 cars cut off, pull clear of the switch and park the 9 cars on the leg of the wye where the rest of the train is. Then the engine runs back down and picks up car #10, in the bottom leg of the wye. I think you can figure it out from here.
BTW, I nearly forgot about that lead. Also, I thinking of eliminating the left lead and have a crossover where the ladder starts. This would also eliminate that sharp (18") inside curve. I could use the track and cork somewhere else. Besides, the JA plan (even the 8 track club size one) has yard leads at only one end.

Also, I think it would make sense to replace the feed mill w/ something more modern, such as the Powerhouse, from DPM. Then I could have a REASON for coal hoppers.

Back