Latest version of my trackplan

You only did less than half the exercise There are 3 cars in #6 and you have to spot the middle one in #4. Depending on the size of the cars, you may not get the #10 in without completely clearing them out to the wye. This is the hardest part of the exercise.

dingoix said:
Did you not read the above post?
Yes, I did. That is how I got 2 box cars instead of just one!

But, I like the new plan much better. Looks like it has much more storage capacity, much more interesting to operate, less wasted space, and much more interesting just to look at.

Chip, one point I'd like to make is that if the distance between industries was that short, chances are the product would be trucked to it's destination.
Here's what I'd do- pull the first car and set it claer of the switch, pull the car to be set out, and couple to the car set out just before, shove it back on track 6, then back the car destined for 4 onto the left leg of the wye. Run clear of the switch and back down the bottom leg onto the main. run up the main and back down the other wye leg (remember our train is still here) and back up into 4 as the car to be setout is at the end of the train.

Gandy, I agree! It's much better.

I take it, give by the comments received and the slowness of this thread, that my plan is pretty well "de-bugged" and this is how I should build it?

The car you moved was an empty needed by the #4.

Okay, you made the point by reminding me that your train was still on the main. Sometime you may come to the realization that operations is a team sport. Ideally on your layout you could have three-four people operating in a session.

This means that you could join a group of people that go from one layout to the next operating a different one each week (month).

Now you just spent what 5 minutes making two moves.

Now lets just bring it closer to home. You have a friend over (maybe a girlfriend) and (s)he's really interested in trying out running trains. You give her/him a passenger train, because all (s)he has to do is run laps and stop at the stations.

Now lets go back to you switching cars on your branch. What does everyone else do while you block the main?

I do realize operation is a team sport. I'm not quite sure how the local could work the branch and have another train running on the main at the same time. I would like the layout to be able to support 2-4 operators, even if I run solo 90% of the time. The layout can support 2 as it is- the yard is wired seperartely from the main-for example, the yard switcher could be making up the local while the ethanol train runs on the main and switches the ethanol plant.

Use a passing siding/runaround instead of the wye. The wye looks cool on a plan, but hinders operations. On the layout, the differnce between a wye and runaround will not be noticible by 99.9% of the people who see your layout.

dingoix said:
I'll think about it- I kinda wanted to turn (steam) passenger trains, tho.
Dingo, have you thought about this - adding 2 new right-hand #4's, and moving an existing one further to the left (see red track on revised diagram)?
dingoIX_layout_revision.gif

Ken, I like that. I have a slight varitation, tho. Let me fire up atlas RTS and modify the plan a bit.

Ok. Now its basically a passing siding with a small wye branching off it. The siding wouldn't be that close to the main, of course. I also don't think curves would be as sharp it's easier to actuallly lay the track than lay it with RTS

layout082006yard1wye14vu.png

SpaceMouse said:
Good move Ken. Or even taking the lower turnout down to the low side of the wye.

I guess I didn't say it clearly, but you made the change I suggested. How's that for coincidence.

BTW, suddenly I want to model '68 again, but this will have almost no effect on the plan.
layout081968version2qo.png

I had a heck of a time adding that wye leg so it isn't on this plan.

Back