kz9's HO Scale Empire.....

Looking very smart Kellan! You're really 'moving' with the layout.....Best of luck on finishing it all soon....I know I can't wait to see it done ;)

Finished up the Walthers Rotary Dumper. Need to cut it into te foam and add rails and power them. I might add a motor to make it work later......

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

Rotary dumper looks really good. I like the weathering on it, alot of dusty coal.

Do you have any idea how to power it with a motor?

Just need a motor and 2 gears with a slow enough ratio. There is a rod with gears that comes out the side

Yes the hold downs work if I put the springs in the bottoms. But they don't lock in the raised position to clear the cars so I left them out so I can just tack them up.

WOW! Kz9!
I don't have the space like you do for such a layout. This ain't no 4x8 is it?

I posted a thread about when do have enough trains? and I think you have a good handle on having enough! {but you still probably need more right? More DCC locos for instance? Oh, the joy of new aquisitions! :D}

I wish I could get some collections cheap from someone{s} getting out of the hobby! But where oh where would I store them? Looks like you have a nice lab table cabinet with plenty of drawers that works perfect for storing trains.;)

Here's a thought on the motor for your rotary dumper: atlas makes a small slow motor to go with their 9 inch HO turntable. You can buy just the motor. I would post a link to now, but my favorite online e-tailer's site is currently down. :(Maybe I can post it later.:)

Good work loved the posting you made here of your endeavors! Keep us posted!
________
SPRINTER

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I have a couple of those Atlas motors. I was looking at one lastnight and saying to myself this would work.

AND....you can never hav enough trains.....lol

Does anybody know if Walthers is going to release another version of the rotary dumper?

Kellan, get some of those rotoary couplers from Seargent. And with the motor you should be all set. If it works out for you, I'm gonna try the same.

Just saw this thread by accident

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kz9

That's very impressive and all in not time at all.

Did you have any former Model RR experience/knowledge ?:confused:

Amazing what you managed to get from people leaving the hobby (any estate sale?)

You have enough stuff to start your own hobby shop:):D:rolleyes:

You are a plumber? For some reason I thought "electrician". You did a
great job with your control stand and track wiring (can't see any. Very neat)
Well organized and tidy layout area. Looks like a brand new home too. Congrats if that is the case.

Thanks for sharing

Looking forward to more updates

Syl

Nope no past MR experience. As a kid I liked to build plastic models, as a teen I was into nitro RC, after I got my first car I got the automotive modifiying bug, and now with the wife and us trying for a family I figured it was time for a in home hobby.

I am a 3rd generation Plumber and I married into a 3 generation Electrian family.lol

Thanks for the comment on my wiring, but to me its a rats nest.lol I will eventually be getting rid of the control board and using manuals were I can reach and DCC on the others/mains.

I only was able to purchase 2 estate sales. One was purely just track, and the other was just rolling stock. All my other stuff was off of sites like Craigslist/kijijii , Josh (Trucklover) has gotten quite abit of my money lately, other memebrs on here. and the yahoo groups. Amazingly I have not even been to an actual MR show, and I think I might just go nuts if I went to one, but I also have stuff I would like to swap as well.

Been awhile since an update......

Since the new addition is coming next summer, I need to finish the basement. This means I need to finish ALL my benchwork so I can have a carpeted rec room for the baby, and NO powersaws....lol

I have boxed up all my stuff that has it box. I plan on wrapping the layout in plastic cause of the drywall dust.

Overview....

IMG_4616.jpg

New paint booth closet. Will have a door and ventilation sysem (other than the booth).

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

New storage cloest

IMG_4619.jpg

New washroom

IMG_4620.jpg

Workbench in a closet

IMG_4621.jpg

My bench I build structures on

IMG_4622.jpg

Future home of a 55'' LED and more bench work, shelf type.

IMG_4623.jpg

Thats a pretty neat installation for the paint booth, while your wall are still opens, i suggest you install a second circuit for lights, so you could install blue bulbs and you could simulate night on the layout !

Looks good Kellan, I was wondering if you had any more progress updates on the layout. Sounds like more construction time for you. But I do like that paint booth, very cool.

Boy is that kid gonna have some fun when he/she's old enough to play with your empire!

Man have the prices on the rotary dumper have skyrocketed on ebay. They are all $200 to $300.

I just hope Walthers will release another version by next year, is when I'll have my steel mill in place. I'm starting construction on my extension room layout in the next couple of weeks.

Back