Kitbash Long Shark BP20, and a B-unit for DL-109

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

beiland

I've mentioned these two projects in several postings scattered throughout the forum, but I thought I would bring them together in one single subject thread,...and particularly since I intend to utilize the same chassis for both projects.

PRR BP-20 loco (the looong shark)
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122264&postcount=21
"One other idea that I have in the back of my mind just for the fun of it was to create a plastic model of the PRR BP-20 (long Shark engine). I have some older Shark engine shells I was going to experiment with cutting up and making the longer version BP20. (Nobody makes it in plastic(yet) so I thought it might be interesting to experiment on). And the Proto 1000 chassis for the DL 109 makes an almost perfect fit for the BP-20, " NOTE: Well, not a 'perfect fit' as we'll see.
View attachment 35337

View attachment 35338

DL-110 or B-unit fpr DL-109
Santa Fe had one, and several other roads had one or two. On this kitbash it will not be necessary to extend the stock chassis.

Another of my postings that I can not find the images for that I posted ?????

tootnkumin

Staff member
The message I am getting is that they are Invalid links. Where were the Attachments stored? Says to contact the administrator, with a link highlighted.

beiland

Went back and inserted some photos into the discussions on this subject thread. Had to hunt up the photos on an old external hard drive.

I never finished these two projects as I got distracted by getting married to a Thai lady (in Thailand), and going off on some boat design projects.

Building a new layout now down in FL, so eventually I drag these two projects out into the daylight.

[url]http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?40307-Help-Please-design-a-dbl-deck-layout-in-its-own-Hand-House-shed[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

beiland

Thanks Bobby,

I'll probably have to get someone to help me with the painting and decals as I have that ambitious new train layout in planning, and I just don't know when I will ever have the time nor a clean painting station set up anytime soon. (and I lack the experience in painting and decaling train models)

trailrider

Hang in there! I've got about three years of different projects (NOT model railroad) that seem to get pushed back by one thing or another. That could take another 30 years, which is why I tell my doctors I need to last until 108! Right now I'm waiting for some Mantua steam locomotive pilots to arrive, as well as some Cal Scale details from Bowser.
Stay well and safe!

Sirfoldalot

Curse You, Red Baron!
Staff member
BRIAN - I would not concern myself with "paint stripping" at this stage. Before I would do that, I would try a light coat, or two, of primer - then the silver and decals. Looks as if you have done a great job on mating the shells - a little "white" squadron putty and a touch of sanding should cover any seam.

Sirfoldalot

Curse You, Red Baron!
Staff member
I have used the Squadron Green and more recently the "White" version which I like much better.
I have not tried the Testers brand, but that may actually be better due to the smaller tube and expense.
Pretty sure they are the same like material?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.