Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to add a bit more to Jerome's thread. I have moved into a new house but I found some of my stuff in storage got a bit of water damage during the floods. One victim was the HH600 box. The loco didn't get wet fortunately. Anyway, I decided to do something with the model at long last.

First off I had to replace the cab windows as the prototype I am modelling has more EMD like replacement windows.

The next step was to disassemble the mechanism, clean it then relube it, finally reassembling and testing it.

Then a lot of detailing followed, which involved a fair amount of time crawling around on the floor looking for the escapee detail parts. I put as much on as I could but there are a few items yet to be installed which would interfere with masking the paint job.

I have started the painting now, the first coat being a nice burnt umber with some extra rust weathering powders and a dull coat. The next bit is gong to be tricky. I want to use the hairspray paint chipping method to achieve the weathering seen on the prototype.

OK, that's all for now.

Time to add a bit more to Jerome's thread. I have moved into a new house but I found some of my stuff in storage got a bit of water damage during the floods. One victim was the HH600 box. The loco didn't get wet fortunately. Anyway, I decided to do something with the model at long last.

First off I had to replace the cab windows as the prototype I am modelling has more EMD like replacement windows.

The next step was to disassemble the mechanism, clean it then relube it, finally reassembling and testing it.

Then a lot of detailing followed, which involved a fair amount of time crawling around on the floor looking for the escapee detail parts. I put as much on as I could but there are a few items yet to be installed which would interfere with masking the paint job.

I have started the painting now, the first coat being a nice burnt umber with some extra rust weathering powders and a dull coat. The next bit is gong to be tricky. I want to use the hairspray paint chipping method to achieve the weathering seen on the prototype.

OK, that's all for now.

Cool, keep us posted, and , um, whats this hairspray paint chipping method you speak of?

Ok, I have completed a trial of the hairspray technique on some Walther's industrial tanks. Seems pretty straight forward, though the instrument used for the scraping seems to matter. I found a short, wide brush with stiff bristles to be good. Possibly other implements, such as tooth picks or cotton buds, might help to get certain effects.

The results I achieved aren't great but I have proved the principle and I have some idea how to proceed with the HH600. Actually, the effect required on the HH600 roof should be fairly easy to do, as removing lots is simpler than a more subtle chipping effect, such as one might like to do on an aircraft cowling for example.

Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to do the rusted blue regions of the HH600 model and then proceed onto the masking and yellow paint work on Friday.

OK, I'm on the home straight.

Still need to fashion some windows for the converted cab back, a bit of paint touch up, apply gloss varnish to decal locations, add the decals. Once set, a final dull coat application before fitting the windows. Then I can do the final assembly, phew! Maybe it will be finished by tomorrow if nothing else goes wrong.

The yellow paint caused me a great deal of trouble. In the end I had to resort to building it up with old fashion dry brushed coats. I tried three different brands, the Vallejo airbrush acrylic proving completely useless. I finally resurrected an almost dry bottle of Citadel yellow with distilled water, which saved the day.

I need to find a brand of yellow paint that can be airbrushed effectively. Preferably acrylic. Does anyone have suggestions?

OK, I'm on the home straight.

Still need to fashion some windows for the converted cab back, a bit of paint touch up, apply gloss varnish to decal locations, add the decals. Once set, a final dull coat application before fitting the windows. Then I can do the final assembly, phew! Maybe it will be finished by tomorrow if nothing else goes wrong.

The yellow paint caused me a great deal of trouble. In the end I had to resort to building it up with old fashion dry brushed coats. I tried three different brands, the Vallejo airbrush acrylic proving completely useless. I finally resurrected an almost dry bottle of Citadel yellow with distilled water, which saved the day.

I need to find a brand of yellow paint that can be airbrushed effectively. Preferably acrylic. Does anyone have suggestions?

Acrylics and I don't mix, but I've never had a problem with floquil. I used to paint Chessie engines, until I decided it wasn't worth the ag factor.

OK, so yellow is just a pain. Pity, I have two more locos that will be yellow. I will try floquil over a white primer next time.

BTW, where is Jerome?

Actually, it got a run at the club today. I plan to run this loco with the slag cars on the RQMC layout at the AMRA exhibition next month (still need to do up three more slag cars to bring the train up to eight cars before the exhibition). But I plan to do some more running in next Wednesday and Saturday week on the club layout.

Why not drop by? You can inspect all the hard work Keith has been doing on the new layout while your there.

http://www.modelflexpaint.com/

Hmm, I wonder if these paints might be OK? I might have to give them a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back