Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last of the parts came in,,,,,the Midland now officially has 3 new engines!
The picture was taken with my (not so ) smart phone. The focus sux, and the colors are skewed. Will have better ones by the weekend for WPF,,,,stay tuned!
Triplets.JPG

Those geeps look very nice. How do you paint the orange and white bands, particularly the end section which flares.

Those geeps look very nice. How do you paint the orange and white bands, particularly the end section which flares.

1st, a base coat of orange (where ever it will show in the end. Then mask as needed and shoot a coat of blue. Unmask and add white decal stripes, being VERY careful as you bent the decal. Add solveset and don't breathe on it til its dry!!:eek:

Its paint jobs like these is why I love my Tamaiya masking tape. Bends great, leaves a nice crisp line.:D

OK, I might have to try the Tamaiya masking tape. I tried using el cheapo masking tape on the HH600 which didn't work so well (left behind gum). The white decal bit sounds like it requires some practice.

OK, I might have to try the Tamaiya masking tape. I tried using el cheapo masking tape on the HH600 which didn't work so well (left behind gum). The white decal bit sounds like it requires some practice.

I usually use it for all the edges of the masking only. Per foot, its find of expensive so I use blue painters tape for the center of a mask

Jerome,,, you still with us??:confused:

Silly me,,, bought another SW unit,,,this time a 1200....must be a sickness!:eek::rolleyes:

Hey Jerome!;)

Here's the newest acquisition.......was a dummy,, added wheels, gears, motor and decoder,,,,now the details. It has half the glass, no handrails, m.u. hoses etc. Also Athearn should have painted the rear facing wall of the cab yellow to match the front,, plus numbering!! So in the car shop line it goes while I start scrounging details.
But it is a good start!;)

Karl, that was an Athearn offering??

It is,, and it isn't.

It is part of a special run of dummy engines done by Athearn for the Canton Railroad. They were given out to shippers, clients, stockholders and for promotional needs. Since they were all dummies, I don't believe they were ever part of Athearn's catalogue. Occasionally one does show up on ebay. My LHS owner was thinning his personal collection, that's how I got mine. ;)

My LHS owner does have a body shell available which is actually an Athearn misprint. The cab lettering is oversized and the Canton "4 point logo" is missing, but the rest of the paint is correct. Price, I have no idea. Interested in another oddball??:confused:

Interestingly, I fitted the trucks with gears, axles, new NS wheels, and I had a motor and driveline taken from my A&P unit when I repowered it with a can. Then I made an interesting discovery.. It had 2 front trucks!!:eek: One truck picked up on the right,,one on the left,,with both contacting the frame!! :eek: Can you say short circuit??!! Good thing I always check this stuff before installing a decoder!;) No real problem, I just cut the contact stips in the trucks with a motor tool, and soldered pickups to the inner side plates. Problem solved.

Decoder and LED lighting is in,,,,now to scare up detail parts and handrails, then repaint the back of the cab yellow to match the front.

I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing this thread! Jerome, I am amazed at the quality of your work, both in the detail and excellent paint/lettering you apply to your switchers. Others have posted some nice work here also. I lack your skill but I'm inspired to add more detail and weathering to my own roster. :)

Jerome,,,,its all your fault! ;)

It's able to move by itself (on DC power) and has been moved to the rear shop track,,waiting on a few details and then a decoder and paint. Next time you see it it will be A&P #51, and will assist 1207 at the cement plant (when built).

C415%20project.JPG

In case you are wondering, I highjacked the trucks, motor and driveshafts out of a Walthers FA1. With the brass subframe under the walkway, it works!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back