Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerome,

I sure enjoy your thread and the progress shots as you work your way through a model. Bravo !

Johnny

Johnny, Thank you. I enjoy the comments I receive and the ideas that are exchanged. I get a lot of good opinions and ideas from the members here. I was going to make this just a dummy for the junk yard. But after Mark and Jeff got me to thinking, I'm now trying to make this a good working model.

I'm interested to see how the Athearn re-power goes. I've got a painted-unlettered C-415 that I want to be my shop switcher, but the mechanism is pitiful, especially given the deep-carpet running that my unit must have had before I acquired it.

Johnny, Thank you. I enjoy the comments I receive and the ideas that are exchanged. I get a lot of good opinions and ideas from the members here. I was going to make this just a dummy for the junk yard. But after Mark and Jeff got me to thinking, I'm now trying to make this a good working model.

Jerome
Go for it! If I can repower a Tyco C430 with a can motor, you can do this
C415 ! I used a stretched MDC RS3 chassis as a starting point.

OK, last pictures of this one for now. Most of the details are on it, now she's headed to Mark for the re powering and LED installation. I also got the AARB sideframes in this week for it.

101_0657.jpg

101_0658.jpg

Well I received the loco the other day and started to work on it. First thing I did was mill out the frame for the Athearn trucks and mounted a motor at the correct height. Next item will be to make the truck mounts and coupler pads then Flywheels and coupling shafts. Here are some pics.

DSC06561.png

DSC06563.png

DSC06564.png

DSC06565.png

DSC06566.png

DSC06567.png

DSC06568.png

DSC06569.png

DSC06570.png

Just what I have been waiting to see!!! What motor are you using? Time to talk the boss into letting me use the mill at the shop after work......

The motor is one that I got from a friend when he gave me a box of brass loco parts. I have a handful of these motors and I am saving them for other re-power projects. The motor is screwed to a brass bracket that is screwed to the fuel tank and 2 .040" lead spacer sheets to bring it up to an even height for the drive shafts. Now I have to get some 1/4" brass bar to make the truck mounts and epoxy them to the chassis.

While Mark is hard at work re-powering the C415 for me, I've turned my attention back to some unfinished projects I've got on the bench. The CF7 twins got some weathering and final assembly done to them. I'll add a bit more weathering later this week.

101_0660.jpg

Jerome, your work almost makes a CF-7 look like a handsome engine. :) I'm really looking forward to the final kitbash product of the C-415. I did a few of these in my younger days, but none anywhere near as nice as the work I've seen so far. I only lived about 10 minutes from the City of Industry yard, and the C-415's spent almost their entire career there, making up and breaking down trains, and doing transfer runs to Taylor Yard and back.

Thanks! I guess i need to get a new DW catalog. The one i have is from 2007 and does not list those.

While Mark is hard at work re-powering the C415 for me, I've turned my attention back to some unfinished projects I've got on the bench. The CF7 twins got some weathering and final assembly done to them. I'll add a bit more weathering later this week.

101_0660.jpg

Wow, those look pretty awesome Jerome, once again nice work!

And what company modeled the CF7's?

Wow, those look pretty awesome Jerome, once again nice work!

And what company modeled the CF7's?

Rail Power Products originally made the shells. Then Athearn bought them and made the CF7's in their RTR line. They are still available on ebay fairly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back