Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh, I notice that BB SW1500 prices keep rising while there are several sellers of RTR SW1500's that are selling them at near $65. There was one not particularly nice Kodachrome BB SW1500 that went for $43. I don't know if it's all your fault or what, but I'd sure rather pay $20 more for an RTR unit than a BB unit. :)

Well there are pros and cons of Blue Box versus RTR in these SW1500's in my opinion. I've gotten 2 RTR ones now, both were under $50. I do like the see-through grills and the smooth operating motor but I'm not too thrilled with the rest of the plastic detail parts. As the prices of the RTR come down, I'll probably add more to my collection, but will replace most of the detail parts.

I must say, Jerome, that after seeing one of your BB SW1500's with the metal handrails, I'm ready to settle for them being slightly oversized compared to the smaller, but immediately breakable, plastic handrails. So many of the BB locomotives look bad because the handrails aren't installed like yours. When they are done right, the are strong and the larger size is hardly noticeable. I'm not as good a detail hound as you but I know the plastic sunshades on the RTR engines break the first time you pick them up, compared to the A-Line brass models, which look better and last forever.

The BNSF "Swoosh" SW1500 just out of decals.

101_0456.jpg

I finally went back to some ex-ConRail units I did. I finished up installing parts and did a bit of weathering. The one on the front far right had a front end accident and was rebuilt. She's now in primer.

101_0467.png

Nice looking Conrail fleet. Looks like some of them have seen some hard miles.

The BNSF Swoosh is probably one of my favorite schemes of theirs, looks sharp.

Those CSX units should make a nice pair as well.

Jerome! Nice work. One nit pick though, if they rebuilt the front, the MU lines would not be in primer, they'd still be the normal black & silver...

Carl's CP unit has decals and some additional paint touch up done. Interior got painted too.

101_0489.jpg

101_0495.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back