It has begun, sort of...

Pretty sure I'm going to invest in a hot wire foam cutter and a loe melt glue gun...

20160112_152756.jpg20160112_175939.jpg

Excellent. While we all want more and more space for our layouts, yours is a terrific size allowing for a nice blend of curves and straight runs. I look forward to seeing your rail way and the world it is in come to life.SC

And it do look "purty" with all those soft pastel colors, contrasting with the others scattered about :p:cool:

got to a point where I had to stop and make some choices and changes, so this is pretty much what I proceed with tomorrow, pushing the glue drying time a bit, but I'm not getting bored

plan_rev-6.jpg

I think I like it better with the sidings inside the main line. Nothing much worse than watching glue dry.

Those spur tracks, will it be necessary to coupling/uncoupling on them? If so they need to be straight tracks, because curves make it very difficult to do.

Next step is layout the decline, also 4% so I paused to clean and have a cup of coffee, look over the plan one more time. Everything installed so far has now been glued down after making adjustments so that my open ends lay on the table as they do on the plan.

20160114_131255.jpg

as it turns out, I had about 2' of cork left after completing the bed for the mainline, tomorrow I'll finish laying the track, connect the feeds and make our innaugural run and let the sputtering begin ")20160115_231829.jpg20160115_231841.jpg20160115_231852.jpg

On that incline? Are you 'slamming' right into a 4% grade from zero to 4% or are you 'easing' into and out of it, 1%-2%-4% and back 4%-2%-1% to 0%?

I have found a 4% 'break' in grade has caused derailment issues for me and it would be a drag to see you build it and have them derail at the top or bottom of the hill every time! I'm planning 6%+ grades on the next track plan but I will be 'easing' into and out of them.

At least your using good quality risers, they will give good transistions as New Guy asks.

I avoided joining sections at the entrance/exit points and put a gentle bow in the track that eases the transition, also made sure entrance and exits were on straights, had issues with those areas on the previous setup, that was how I solved them, I've been running a cheapo passenger car around as I go, from experience, if that POS doesn't derail nothing will ")

20160116_092608.jpg

I have to admit, I've impressed myself in my ability to remain focused and actually get as far as I have, I typically live in chaos and disorganization, but there's a few glaring goofs in there, the biggest one is I failed to account for the width of the Woodland ramps so there was 1" less space between them, might not be able to run the outer loop as planned, however I do have a 3% incline which is 4-1/2" - 12' that I could use to add a branch to an elevated industry area that's still floating around in my head, just wouldn't be a loop but could be a good spot for a turntable to be worked in which was also floating around my head...

then again, my head is full of floating things, I have ADD, probably why I like running trains, every time it comes around "oh cool a train"...

Back