Is it just me, or?

Josh, you've just discovered an ugly truth about California - Dowboard (and compatibles) is impossible to find there! I don't know if it's some obscure state law or whatever...

Josh, you've just discovered an ugly truth about California - Dowboard (and compatibles) is impossible to find there! I don't know if it's some obscure state law or whatever...
Maybe, with all the stuff you cannot throw away (electronics being number one... talk about a rip off, you pay extra to buy the dang thing, then pay someone to take it when you're done with it? :confused: :mad: )... Though that bring up an odd topic, why do they sell the expanded crap then?

I found a site online linking an insulation distributor, I'll call them tomorrow and see if they carry any.

The problem is you probably went to a big box consumer home store.

Look for a contractor building supply or big lumber yard. The will have accounts with the major insulation suppliers and if they don't have it in stock, be able to finagle you some.

Is it "known in the state of California" to cause cancer? It's funny how California is sooo much smarter than the other states. :D

Foam Insulation Board!

Say Josh,
I'm also in the process of ordering the same board myslef and my local Lowes does stock it, so try another store in your area to see if they have it?

If it's available at one it should be available at some of the others although I'll have to admit their selection of plywood sure sucks with hardly no variety to choose from and no literal 1/2" either?

David

Does NO ONE sell insulating board, like DOW board, in California!? I guess no one in Cali thinks of keeping the heat OUT.

Lowes stocks 1/2" x 4' x 8' sheets, just not in Cali.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=15348-46086-15348&detail=&lpage=none

Home Depot only carried the expanded (beaded) stuff. Anyone know of another source?

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is you probably went to a big box consumer home store.

Look for a contractor building supply or big lumber yard. The will have accounts with the major insulation suppliers and if they don't have it in stock, be able to finagle you some.
Tried a few before, thus why I've started looking for insulation dealers. Migth work better.

Say Josh,
I'm also in the process of ordering the same board myslef and my local Lowes does stock it, so try another store in your area to see if they have it?
[...]
David
As for Lowes, I checked the availability of all stores it would let me click to, within 150 miles! Nothing, not at any, and the site says they only stock 3/4" Dow Board. They have some other brand but it does not tell me if its extruded of expanded, I need to go physically check, as the site claims that they have it in 1/2", 3/4", 1" & 2" thicknesses.

Josh,
I suspect the problem is the California Uniform Building Code. If I remember correctly,the minimum R value for walls is 6 and the 1/2 inch Dow board ony has an R value of 3. If you can't find it at a contractor's supply house in stock, they would probably order if for you in something like dozen sheet lots but it won't be cheap.

Lots in stock here at Home Depot, even different colours. Oh yeah, I'm in Canada and we are expecting 6 inches of snow this afternoon. :)

I guess the availability and variety of foam board can be considered a benefit of living in a place where -30C is common in winter... :D

Mark

Did you try looking for Owens Corning Fomular board? I believe that is the pink insulation. Their website lists quite a few Home depots that are suppose to carry it within a hundred miles of San Diego.

You mean, Owens Corning Fan Fold? That might work, I'll check it out, 4' x 50' humm...

Whew, Lake Elsinore! Thats quite a drive. I wonder if I can have it shipped to the local Home Depot.

Josh, don't trust the online Hodo or Lowes to show everything they carry (besides, their keywords in the search engine are a pain in the...). It's best to give them a call or go by there.

Type of Insulation.

Josh,
What my local Lowes has is named, 'Insulfoam' and I believe it's the same thing I looked at in the past, a closed cell foam board sheet in various thicknesses.

Oddly enough my buddy who lives fairly close by and buyes building supplies from them quite often says they only have 1.5" and not the 2" the web states
they have?? :confused: A bit confusing to say the least!

David

Tried a few before, thus why I've started looking for insulation dealers. Migth work better.

As for Lowes, I checked the availability of all stores it would let me click to, within 150 miles! Nothing, not at any, and the site says they only stock 3/4" Dow Board. They have some other brand but it does not tell me if its extruded of expanded, I need to go physically check, as the site claims that they have it in 1/2", 3/4", 1" & 2" thicknesses.

I'd like to recant my previous statements... Somewhat...

I just realized that the "Tuff-R" board on HD's site, *IS* Dow board... Now to see if I can't con someone in the store to dig me up some, if they have any.

Josh -

Lowes #1013
2318 Northside Drive
San Diego, CA 92108

has 63 pieces of Dow Extruded Foam Insulation in stock. It is Lowes' item number 14539 - 1" x 2' x 8' sheets. (Cost is $7.58 a sheet here in New Hampshire, no idea what it is in CA {didn't think to look}.)

None of the other stores in San Diego's district stock any of the extruded foam. Other item numbers are 15348 - 1/2" x 4' x 8' and 14542 - 2" x 2' x 8'. Ask if they will "Special Order" the other sizes if you need them. Takes our store 3 business days to get it.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

PS: Lowes web site s**ks. It is had to navigate and is frequently incorrect. I can search for a item that is sitting right in front of me and the web site will tell me it is unavailable in my store.

Oh hey thanks Kevin, I'll check that store!

Huh, odd, thats the store that told me they don't stock insulating foam, on the phone this morning. Guess I shall look anyways.

Hi Kevin,

I read you and Josh talking about Dow Extruded Foam Insulation board and would like to know if there's any difference between the Insulfoam board available at my local Lowes?

Am I assuming corrcetly that both boards are closed-cell foam? Also how is the extruded different from the other boards?

David

Ps: Lowes site does suck IMHO from the standpoint they don't give any real discription of the item other that to tell it's size. If you didn't know what you were looking your SOL!

Josh -

Lowes #1013
2318 Northside Drive
San Diego, CA 92108

has 63 pieces of Dow Extruded Foam Insulation in stock. It is Lowes' item number 14539 - 1" x 2' x 8' sheets. (Cost is $7.58 a sheet here in New Hampshire, no idea what it is in CA {didn't think to look}.)

None of the other stores in San Diego's district stock any of the extruded foam. Other item numbers are 15348 - 1/2" x 4' x 8' and 14542 - 2" x 2' x 8'. Ask if they will "Special Order" the other sizes if you need them. Takes our store 3 business days to get it.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

PS: Lowes web site s**ks. It is had to navigate and is frequently incorrect. I can search for a item that is sitting right in front of me and the web site will tell me it is unavailable in my store.

I'd like to recant my previous statements... Somewhat...

I just realized that the "Tuff-R" board on HD's site, *IS* Dow board... Now to see if I can't con someone in the store to dig me up some, if they have any.

David, the stuff you're talking about is the "expanded foam", the stuff that looks like little foam beads suck togeather. Extruded foam, is smooth, like the stuff they show in Model Railroader all the time, it cuts smoother, less mess too. They're both just about as strong.

So, the "Tuff-R" stuff is a no-go, its the foil covered yellow crap. I wandered down to the Lowes, and found 1"x2'x8' tongue & grove sheets, which might actually work out well, because the trunk on my wifes car is only 3' wide (back seat folds down in her car, mine does not), which means I can avoid the $65 (!) delivery fee. None of the modules are over 2' deep anyways.

I picked up the 1"x2" boards for the leg bases and the end stringers, now I just need the 1"x2" legs (was not sure if I could fit longer then 4' boards in my car), the 1"x4" platforms and rear stringers. I'm going to pick up a few of the foam sheets tonight, or tomorrow, and some of the 1 1/2"x2'x4' expanded foam sheets from Home Depot for the module frames.

Oh, I need some washers and bolts to bolt the sections togeather too...

Its getting there, very fast!

Josh, take you a straight edge and a utility knife to Hodo and cut the sheets to fit your car, but still ok for your use.

Back