Is it just me, or does MTH ignore you?

The MRC sound decoders sound OK, but they don't last or like to be programmed on systems other than MRC's (no readback).

Athearn has recently switched to Soundtraxx Tsunami, so all new genesis units with sound will have soundtraxx.

I heard the protosound 3.0 for the SD70ACE on their promo video. It sounds pretty good, on the same level as Tsunami, but I will not buy one until they make full compatibility with DCC.

Or you can wait for Athearn to make them from the Tower 55 tooling. Then you wouldn't need to pay $250 for a loco that you're going to rewire.

The wiring for the DCS decoder and for DCC is not the same. Also, if you do manage to put a Tsunami in there, it will probably get fried due to the high voltage draw from the motor.
Its a worthy sacrifice for the purpose of evaluating the MTH stuff on Model Railroad Tips...

In any case, the decoder runs on DCC now, so installing a DCC decoder should work just the same on outputting the same ~12V power to the motor. The wiring for pick-up and motor power should remain the same cross any platform, and if I re-wire I'd remove an re-install all sound anyways...

In any case even if I do not sacrifice the decoder system, it'll still run on my layout...

I have the original MTH 4-6-2 and I love it. It does DCC, it just does it differently than everything else. Once you figure out how to run it it runs really well and has a lot of features. If BLI had their Paragon2's out at that time I prob would have gotten one of them in lieu of the MTH if those are really as cool as they seem anyway.

I have the MTH and Lionel TMCC units. It took a bit of getting used to with the MTH, adding the light bulb, a couple extra feeder wires to my track, and I replaced all the factory battery packs with the BCR (Battery Component Replacement). I only use the DCS system now. It is far superior to the TMCC system IMO, even the new Legacy system. I can run all my TMCC engines with the DCS and have many more functions and better control. I've called MTH Tech support several times and had nothing but good luck and very helpful information from them.

Obviously the HO equipment is a different world so I can't speak about it. I do prefer the DCS over the TMCC and have many MTH engines in O scale.

I have the MTH and Lionel TMCC units. It took a bit of getting used to with the MTH, adding the light bulb, a couple extra feeder wires to my track, and I replaced all the factory battery packs with the BCR (Battery Component Replacement). I only use the DCS system now. It is far superior to the TMCC system IMO, even the new Legacy system. I can run all my TMCC engines with the DCS and have many more functions and better control. I've called MTH Tech support several times and had nothing but good luck and very helpful information from them.

Obviously the HO equipment is a different world so I can't speak about it. I do prefer the DCS over the TMCC and have many MTH engines in O scale.

The thing is that MTH can compete with other digital control systems in larger scales because theres more than one availible. If MTH's DCS can combine the best of all of the systems and add more, then they can make more money selling their system.

They thought it would work with HO scale too. However, HO scale only has one system, DCC. DCC is all compatible with each other (but some systems/decoders may have limited functionability due to decreased cost or country of origin) and MTH fails to see that they cannot compete with that system. Because theres no competition, everyone uses DCC and will not switch to the DCS system just to run MTH's trains. MTH will have to change to or be more compatible with DCC sooner or later or drop the HO scale line to stay competitive.

Any feedback from people that actually own an MTH loco?

The fact that so few people actually own an MTH loco should tell you a lot.

I test ran several MTH locos at different times, long enough to back away quickly and put my wallet back in my pocket.

When I attempted to run an MTH Mohawk with an NCE DCC system, it behaved much like a sound loco running on straight DC - nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, then at about high noon on the throttle, it takes off like a rocket. Slowing down equally unresponsive.

Then back in Jan. I was at a show, and a guy was selling both an MTH K4 and a DCS system. I found the response even with DCS to be delayed and disconnected, the loco did not run well, the sound seemed to follow it on a 7-second radio delay. That must be to give time to edit out the cussing the operator would be laying on it. The guy was selling it secondhand and telling how great it was, but it was pretty obvious why he wanted rid of it.

If MTH were to offer their Mohawk without DCS/sound for around the $250 that it's worth, I might consider one. But right now, MTH has nothing I want.

Andy

Andy, I assume these were O scale locos, right? How long ago was this. I'm wondering if they have improved. Anyone test one of their HO locos on DCC recently? I'm looking at their HO scale SD70ACe, and have a couple on order now. I am also worried about the abrupt takeoff from stop, that I've seen in videos (even the MTH promo video). Man you guys are really talking me into cancelling this order. I really appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, I assume these were O scale locos, right? How long ago was this. I'm wondering if they have improved. Anyone test one of their HO locos on DCC recently? I am also worried about the abrupt takeoff from stop, that I've seen in videos (even the MTH promo video).

No they were HO locos. The K4 and the Mohawk. I have no interest in O whatsoever.

Andy

Back