In Celebration of the CSX.

Thanks Paul.

Here's a shot of one of the leased units in the consist. I don't know why, but the scheme caught my eye.
IMG_2525.JPG

Ditto to that. It looks nice for only having a couple blue stripes on a white backround.

-Smoke
It's actually not white, but a light primer gray, notice the difference between the nose & hood. Here's a shot I took back in '05 I believe. It really shows off the white to gray on the stripes on the nose. Unusual, but nice.

Good match for the gray would be Model Flex primer, or Testors neutral flat gray. I think Microscale makes decals.

Ah, never mind, its Highball Graphics that makes them, along with other lease units, including the sliver/green SD40-2.
http://mgdecals.com/L-170.htm

I kind of feel like that guy who used to do all the RR paint shop articles in MR.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more from my fav class 1...

Autorack train boils off Sand Mountain. We heard this train on the handheld on our way home this afternoon, turned around and barely made it back to Lacon in time for the shot. I didn't even have a chance to get the tripod out.:eek:
IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

Southbound at Hartselle. There was no grass growing under this one either. ;)
IMG_2782.JPG

Overpass action
IMG_2863.JPG

Headin south from Boyles Yard
IMG_2726.JPG

Man Grandeman, you're turning into a true railfan, when are we going to get you back!?

I haven't gone anywhere, I'm just trying not to bore ya'll to tears with proto pics... :rolleyes: Trust me, I'm a lifelong model railroader. I go thru cycles that grab my interest, but I love model trains ( real ones too ;)) and always will.

Heat Wave! Train Q7516 blazes south on a hot June afternoon near Hartselle, Al.
IMG_2778_heat_wave.JPG

CSX downtown. This is a view looking down 14th Street from a looong way off. ;)
It was taken from atop Red Mountain at a private restaurant called "The Club". An item of interest is, it's on the site of the former Valley View iron ore mine (1904-1924). There are still mine openings and a concrete portal on site. The Vulcan Walking Trail runs directly beneath the property. It is on the old L&N Mineral RR right of way that ore trains shuffled loads from the mines to the District's many blast furnaces over.

IMG_3067.JPG

CSX 7878 rolls by the Amtrak passenger loading platform on it's way to Boyles Yard in Tarrant.
IMG_3049.JPG

Thanks Paul. Glad you went "downtown" with us. :cool:

Here's a few shots from Decatur yesterday afternoon. CSX serves the Meow Mix cat food plant there and we caught a friendly crew switching there late in the afternoon.

Street sign
IMG_31011.JPG

Switch action
IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

Huh,I knew there was a Grande Man, but didn't know there was a Little Grande Man.:D

-Smoke

Back