I need to formally apologize

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgardner18

Guys,

Back in August I posted a few photos on this website’s “Weekend Photo Fun” of my two engines on someone else’s layout. I forgot to mention that it was NOT my layout figuring that everyone knows that I have only a simple diorama and nothing that excellent. My friend told me of his lack of excitement about my posting, I apologized for making the mistake and we left it at that. After a few months of silence without him replying to any of my emails, He then replied today stating that due to the fact that I have made no effort to remove the photos that he was more than offended therefore we are not friends and I am not welcomed at his layout anymore.

My ignorance has placed me in a great dilemma. I never intended to show the world that I was this great modeler taking credit for his some 30 years of work. I did want to show my engines on his exciting detailed layout to do something else beside my boring diorama. I just forgot to credit him. I then made it worse by not changing my mistake until now.

So to everyone out there that has seen these photos I am publicly admitting my fault and asking forgiveness for my stupid mistake. I never meant to hurt this person nor desire to take credit for his work. I’m not that kind of a person. I hope that his person will find it in his heart to forgive me and allow me to visit his layout once again.

Here is the link so that everyone can see my mistake and his great work.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13961&page=6

Tim, I am once again so sorry from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,

Zak Gardner

dont know the details but glad your working it out. To me it seams odd for one to be upset If someone wants to show off a work of art behind ones trains. I do alot of scenery work at the club and many times I see pics and youtube videos of my work with out credit of who did it. I see no harm in that unless someone stresses that they keep photos private or want you to ask permission to use. regardless Those were great pics and can see that this Tim guy has alot of talent.

Trent

With his snotty attitude I wouldn't want to be his friend, since that's not how real friends act. I say it's better off you're not dealing with his ignorance.

As a final word they ARE your trains, you are posting them. If you took the photos that would be even better since it's your own photographic art.

Whoa!! Not sure that last statement follows from anything posted so far. :eek:

If your former buddy is following, and we must remember that we only have what you have reported as you filter the details, he will be miffed because, once he called you on the infraction, you compounded the 'hurt' by not taking concrete steps to correct the fault. So, it really is no mystery that he continues to think poorly of you. Had you occasioned to confess your error/misdeed...whatever word fits...right away, and to immediately remove the images as a sign of good will (because in a way he is claiming some ownership of them...and justifiably so), he might have stewed for a while and then forgotten it as an error in judgement.

We invest a ton of about six different resources in our hobby, and when things turn out really well, we like to get the credit. Emotion is one of those resources, and it begets pride. I guess this is a lesson of the hard-knock type, and you won't forget it soon. I hope the two of you can move past this and get back together for a layout session. Your statement above, Zak, should go a long way to convincing him that you intended no slight or usurpation of his fine work, but that you were grateful to be able to show off your engines with his craftsmanship playing a strong supporting role. In a sense, it was a form of flattery! :D

And, Zak, even if the fellow can't move past this incident, you have by acting maturely and responsibly. It can't be comfortable for fun for you this way, but in time you will know that you have come clean and must go forward.

-Crandell

I cant speak for everyone here but I say that you are forgiven here. I seen you post before and followed your threads etc. You have made it known that you had no major layout and use your diorama etc....

seems this guy is not to good of a friend. Move on if he cant forgive and forget. I must say though it never bothered me when I had my layout when I lived Arkansas when guys came over and took pics of there trains on my layout....I enjoyed the hell out of it! It made me feel good to provide that and in return having friends in this hobby....Life is to short guys... you dont have to grow up but come on let it go!

Zak it is honorable for you to do what you have done to reconcile but I gotta tell ya if you are ever in my neck the woods look me up here in Florida!

oh dear.

I hope he finds it in his heart to forgive you. There are SO many more terrible things in the world going on to be miserable about. earthquakes, storms, incurable diseases...

sigh.

Back in August I posted a few photos on this website’s “Weekend Photo Fun” of my two engines on someone else’s layout. I forgot to mention that it was NOT my layout figuring that everyone knows that I have only a simple diorama and nothing that excellent. My friend told me of his lack of excitement about my posting, I apologized for making the mistake and we left it at that. After a few months of silence without him replying to any of my emails, He then replied today stating that due to the fact that I have made no effort to remove the photos that he was more than offended therefore we are not friends and I am not welcomed at his layout anymore.
Hi Zack
First things first.
As you stated they were your locos and that was the intent of the photo you posted
There's only one question was it your photo? If it was you did nothing wrong by posting it. Consider when a rail fan takes a photo of a locomotive against the background of a RR station he/she doesn't own the loco or the property in the photo, but since the rail fan snapped the photo it is his/her photo and he/she can post it or allow it to be posted anywhere it is acceptable to display it. Ownership of the photo is the copyright requirement.
Now in the attached photo I don't own any of the trains or the layout ( It was taken at the Truro NS model RR show, it was taken for my own use and I only used it as an example in this post. But I do own the photo because I took the photo. It's not required but courtesy asks that you you give credit and explain what you are showing It's ownership of the photo that's important. I hope you and your online friend get it straightened out.
Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO it was kinda childish of the guy to cry about where the pic was taken. I mean you were taking pics of YOUR equipment not his. I have to agree with CBCNSfan if you took the pic it is yours . there are many pics that are taken of prototipical railroads and you dont hear any class 1 railroads hollering ,thats ours not yours . Plus on top of that i would be proud to know (whether or not anyone else) did that i helped out a friend in making his equipment look better for a photo that he may remember long after i`m gone that he was my friend and he helped me out at one time or another. To me thats what its all about is friendship and comradery not about whats mine and yours we only pass this way once so why let something as trivial as where a pic was taken come between friends ?:)

Just my opinion on the deal.

I could see this guy getting upset if you stoled his beer or raped his dog ,Molested his goldfish, knocked up the cat or somthing deplorable like that!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

IMHO it was kinda childish of the guy to cry about where the pic was taken. I mean you were taking pics of YOUR equipment not his. I have to agree with CBCNSfan if you took the pic it is yours . there are many pics that are taken of prototypical railroads and you dont hear any class 1 railroads hollering ,that's ours not yours . Plus on top of that i would be proud to know (whether or not anyone else) did that i helped out a friend in making his equipment look better for a photo that he may remember long after i`m gone that he was my friend and he helped me out at one time or another. To me thats what its all about is friendship and comradery not about whats mine and yours we only pass this way once so why let something as trivial as where a pic was taken come between friends ?:)

Just my opinion on the deal.

I have to agree with you. Sounds like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum. In any case you (OP) are the bigger man for apologizing and at least trying to right things.

With his snotty attitude I wouldn't want to be his friend, since that's not how real friends act. I say it's better off you're not dealing with his ignorance.

As a final word they ARE your trains, you are posting them. If you took the photos that would be even better since it's your own photographic art.

DITTO! Life is WAY TO SHORT to deal with people like that.

They are your trains sure, running on his layout. Maybe you should have given him a simple credit for the layout part. But in any case, its not like you lied, plajorized his work and claimed it your own either. You didnt send the pictures into a national magazine for everyone in the world to see your layout. All you did was post them on a internet forum that had a post pretty much get burried a few days later and before you know it, everyone forgot about it anyways.

Your so called friend doesnt sound like he is much of a friend anyways if he is still whining about some pictures you posted over 4 months ago. I would remove the pictures to apease(sp) him and then tell him to go pound sand and grow up and dont talk to me anymore until you do.

oh dear.

I hope he finds it in his heart to forgive you. There are SO many more terrible things in the world going on to be miserable about. earthquakes, storms, incurable diseases...

sigh.

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing the amount of egotists we have in the world. :mad:

An old saying: When a husband and wife fight over his shoes being left in the middle of the floor, the fight is NOT about the shoes.

Ask him what is really bugging him. This just doesn't make sense.

Or ... move on.

Zack, for what its worth, i as well don't see anything here to raise fuss about let alone apologize.

I hope he finds it in his heart to forgive you.
i hope he finds enough sanity to realize his reaction was, how should i say this politley... hmmm - inadequate . and if not, well, the loss is not big. as beautiful as his work might be, he does not seem a a very good friend.

Where's the Photo

I guess I'm missing something. The link you posted, modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13961&page=6, doesn't show any photos of your locomotives on a layout.

Of course, it seems you are adding to the offense your friend thinks you've committed by posting a link to the photos your friend thinks were an offense to begin with. Does that make sense?

Ray

I guess his point is that he removed the pics from the post. That's what his
"Friend" was mad about, that he didn't remove the pics after appologizing.;)

Zak, it seems like your friend went over the top. It sounds like he's more of an acquaintance than a friend. At worst, you made an innocent mistake. At best, you've shown his efforts to the world.

I once had a "friend" who acted the same way. Haven't spoken to him in years and don't really miss him either.;)

Personally, I'd tell him to go fly a kite.:D

In defense of Zak's actions
Zak asked the administration to remove the photos (he possibly didn't know how to do this himself). By the time I viewed the thread the photos were gone along with his posts. Zak has apologized for any fault that may or may not have been his.
I don't believe there is anything left to pursue for discussion so I'll close this topic.

Cheers
Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back