I have to say that I am hooked on Atlas locos

dekker

Just felt like posting tonight about how much I love my Atlas master silver series locos. I have zero complaints. They are so smooth,quiet and very well detailed. I am really impressed with the performance and pulling power of these locos.

Yep, it's hard not to like the Atlas Silver line. Good detail, well made, and excellent pullers. Now, if you really want something, get the Gold line with sound. You'll be hooked after about two minutes. :)

Yes, that is the only difference. I have only one Atlas, and it is the Gold Series version of the FM H24-66. I feel very positive about this engine, and would not hesitate to purchase another of the same model or anything else that Atlas offers.

It helps that I was able to snag it when the Canadian dollar was worth about USD$1.05 about 17 months ago, and when it was already reduced to $149. :D

-Crandell

I've got several Atlas engines. I've never had a problem with any of them.

I must say, having been in the hobby for so long, that the quality of products, from track, to rolling stock, to engines and structures has improved dramatically. Not only Atlas, which has been a leader for years, but with Kato, LifeLike, with their Proto 1000 and 2000 series, Bachman(Spectrum), Athearn(Genesis), Broadway Limited, Rivarossi, and the many other manufacturers and distributors making great leaps in quality and detail. Some of the "oldtimers" know what I am talking about here.

I'm glad to be around to witness the improvements.

Bob

I currently have 4 Atlas Gold engines and love them all. Great quality and good runners. Download the QSI manual (About 200 pages) There are plenty of tweaks to the sound that will make better.

I don't like the QSI sound on the gold (It was great when it came out, but my tastes have "matured" after hearing better sounds from other brands)

The QSI sound system was great when it came out, but other sound systems such as Loksound, Soundtraxx/Tsunami, and even BLI's own Blueline system, all sound better than QSI because QSI recorded the sound of an engine idling, then digitally manipulated the RPMs. Also, I don't like how they recycle the sounds for horns and bells between different models.

Also, QSI has a "closed" decoder where you can't edit the sounds. Loksound and Digitrax decoders have computer editable sounds (you have to buy their decoder programmers AND have a computer for itthough). You can also load your own sound scheme to it if you want to install the decoder in a locomotive that no one has made a sound decoder for yet.

MRC and Soundtraxx/Tsunami have sounds that you can edit/program with your DCC system's throttle and has different bells and whistles that you can select for your particular prototype. (without a computer)

Other than the QSI sound, I do like Atlas locos although they sacrifice prototypical speed for good low speed performance. The detail can't be beat, and the quality is great.

I have 4 of them so far, including a Trainman series GP38-2 with the same hi-quality Atlas drive. Added grabirons and a few other details and now it looks alot like my Atlas Silver GP38.

I don't like the QSI sound on the gold (It was great when it came out, but my tastes have "matured" after hearing better sounds from other brands)....
That's the main reason I prefer to buy Silver series models and install my own sound decoders.
..., I do like Atlas locos although they sacrifice prototypical speed for good low speed performance. ...
Aha - so that's why I've always had a heluva time trying to speed-match my Gold series CW40-8 with my Kato units!:rolleyes:

Ken;

Stop running them at top speed all the time, like a kid with a new train set;), and I bet that problem goes away!:p:D

The speed curves are different between motor manufacturers. You don't have to run them at full speed to get gear grinding and dragging. The speeds can be fixed by reprogramming the speed curve on the DCC decoder, but it takes a while and is not easy.

Back