HP and Sackville Railroad

Gary you could find room for another crossover if you use a right and left together as opposed to two rights or two lefts.
Know what I mean Vern? (⬅️obscure reference to Jim Varney)
It would be incorporated into a curve transitioning into a tangent. Not always ideal to have one on a curve but my current layout has this arrangement and so far so good.

At first glance, immediately over to the right in what appears to be a 2' straightaway. Chris has a good suggestion regarding the double crossover, but I have read on this forum that folks have trouble with those. I have no experience myself.
Fair enough, not cheap either I think, but I know these are handmade so it should be ok, I was going to get one myself, but chickened out in the end.

Gary you could find room for another crossover if you use a right and left together as opposed to two rights or two lefts.
Know what I mean Vern? (⬅️obscure reference to Jim Varney)
It would be incorporated into a curve transitioning into a tangent. Not always ideal to have one on a curve but my current layout has this arrangement and so far so good.
Any chance you could show me a pic?

Here’s a couple pictures.
I forgot one switch is curved in this case but I’ve done it with regular as well.
This gained a few car lengths where a regular crossover wouldn’t fit and let’s traffic flow into the curve.

3E5494DD-A621-44DA-878B-0147C57454CD.jpeg

8205E4D6-370A-4310-9942-ADCDFB0F7956.jpeg

edit: just looked at your plan again Gary and you have the perfect spot to use two regular switches… lower right where the curve straightens out before going to the right again.

Last edited:
I am looking at that spot as well, I am considering the smallest Peco switches in this location as we chat about it.

As of last nights attempt, haven’t tried it in real life yet. Still cleaning up after doing the walls.

View attachment 177002
I would definitely not go with shorter switch route. Locomotives and cars don't look good on switches like that and there's more risk of derailments. From personal experience it's wiser to invest in wide curved switches and they look good. I also have a "double scissors crossover" at one end which was necessary at that location:
IMG_20231111_071603064_HDR.jpg

Pros: it looks good, saves space.
Cons: more possibility of derailments-trackage needs to be absolutely level in the area and good switch machines or stands need to hold the points in place to prevent possible movement.

I don't know what your track spacing is, but 4 #6 Atlas turnouts and a 19 degree crossing will make a double crossover with (IIRC) a 3" track spacing. You could do the same with Peco turnouts, but the crossing would need to be a 24 degree crossing.
The track spacing I was aiming for was 2.5”. I have mainly 22 & 24” radius track, but 2” left everything colliding.

I don't know what your track spacing is, but 4 #6 Atlas turnouts and a 19 degree crossing will make a double crossover with (IIRC) a 3" track spacing. You could do the same with Peco turnouts, but the crossing would need to be a 24 degree crossing.
My friend and i did build "double scissors crossover" just like the one i have. He needed it for his layout and we used 4 #6 Atlas switches and diamond crossing. We did all the cutting, measuring and soldering on a flattest piece of board we could find. It was actually pretty fun experience and to hold everything in place for soldering we used rail nails to keep the work in place. We took our time and tested by pushing rail cars extensively before final soldering. It came out very nice.

Looks neat, Gary, but I believe this area will be somewhat of a wiring challenge. I have seen many problems with this design on the forum, oftentimes they work for a while but for some reason all the little switches that change the current have issues:

View attachment 178111

The gold circle. It would be great if it works!!!!

Dave LASM
Dave, thanks for that info! First time hearing that Peco switches can be troublesome, I was always thought that Peco were the best switches…..or do you mean the converter switches that auto change the current for the reverser? Do you just change direction of your engines by hand?

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for that info! First time hearing that Peco switches can be troublesome, I was always thought that Peco were the best switches…..or do you mean the converter switches that auto change the current for the reverser? Do you just change direction of your engines by hand?
I wonder if he was referring to the so called "Electro frog" Peco switches. Those need special wiring. I mistakenly bought few of these not knowing about complications. For me they were a PITA. Got rid of them asap. Other than that Peco switches are great, i have a few normal ones on my layout and they are smooth and more precise than Atlas switches.

Last edited:
Combining assistance from several better planners than me and I think this is getting close, computer is back up and working again.

:) Bricks, bats and bouquets please.

View attachment 178103
Gary: It is coming together! Too bad that you can not work stuff around to get the RH/TT to where it is available to your lower left yard. Also like what Dave LASM said - that wye could be trouble. Looks like you might have a foot that HAS to contain what ever power you are using on one of the legs. If I remember, you are HO so one F9A is about 7 inches and would fit. Might think about a short double track section going up and to the right; at least you would be able to 'double head' stuff.

Later

Back