How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Thanks Steve and Josh! =))
Hey Steve,...I rather prefer to be a kind of "Robin Hood" You know ..I am more a "forresttype" man! lol

Jos

Wel if they won't be so expensive I would buy some of your trees :)

BTW, hello guys, I just returned to take a peep on what's going on in here, haven't been much here lately :) I'm very busy and even my layout has been on hold :(

Hi Ron and Maxitrains! thanks!!=)

Well expensive....? not!!:p
just watch the prices of this company overhere: Silflor:
230-52 Pappel, bis 35 cm 1 Stück Sommer 60,00 ! about = >USA$: 60.-!!:eek:
230-53 Pappel, bis 35 cm 1 Stück Frühherbst 60,00 !
mine: about 1/2 of it!:D...I think
btw: nice to see you too overhere! and:
GET TO YOUR LAYOUT AGAIN!! lol

Jos

ps: Pappel=Lombardy poplar

Last edited by a moderator:
YEP Jim...that much !! .....
but concidering the time that is need to make such tree, using their method to make trees= HANDMADEframe + silflor foliage, , lets say 1 1/2 hour..also here: time is money
Your right about the way I try to make trees it can be less expensive and I hope less time /faster...

Jos

Well I can't stop making trees...lol
Here I tried to make some "American" kind of pinetrees...
Large , cheap and easy to make( only one European thing: litlle bit of time ;-) )
f_beneluxdennm_de5aeb6.jpg

detail:
f_beneluxdennm_e7c1d15.jpg

Jos

Sure...easy for you to make. :) Great looking trees although I think they look closer to our cedar trees than true pines like the Lodgepole or Ponderosa pines.

Jos,
I've been to a lot of clinics at train shows on how to make tree's & handsdown "you" are the best. Model Railroader magazine ought to pay you to show them how to make your fantastic tree's. Quite a few years ago a friend of mine showed me how to make tree's for my HO layout using some of your idea's. He had an N ga. layout & his tree's were not as big as mine. We used Latex Caulk for the covering on the tree trunks instead of the glue mix. It gave us the same look as your tree trunks. We pressed the caulk into the wires & then covered it w/sawdust as you did. We painted them w/a gray spray paint.
Your tree's looked a lot better than ours though.
Great Job. Now, I'm going to have to get busy & make some more wire armatures in all sizes. You gave me some great idea's for larger tree's. I don't spend enough time on the things that really matter, like TREE's.

Larry

Hi. I am from Poland and i make layout in USA style. This topic is great and very helpful. I make my first tree. It's not realy good. I have problem withe fibres (cant fing like yours just make it from heki floor) and i dont know how to put it on the branch. Can u make some photo from this part ? And say something more about it ? And if u can give some links to internet shop wher i can buy fibres (if u have it ofc). Thx

Larry , Steve thanks!
Jim:
I think they look closer to our cedar trees than true pines like the Lodgepole or Ponderosa pines.
yes you're of course! right, I ment cedartrees! thanks!
Ponderosa and lodgepole are "Pinus"trees like my "own"Pinus sylvestris( in dutch= grove den! =) ) and not "Cedrus" kind of trees( Like cedrus atlantica 'Glauca'...or cedrus Libannii
To our Polish friend MET:
One option could be to cut the foliage( HEKI FLOOR) in small pieces in the shape of a triangle and glue these small parts on the ends of the branches( = wires) with "TESA " hobby glue( in a small plastic 'botlle') . it is a kind of glue that glues almost everything and it dries transperant! So it will not be visable anymore...
Start to glue the small parts of foliage on the branches on the base and continue/build it up to the top.
Try to use not much glue.
If you want to use the filterfibers: here is a link:
www.bloemschik.com/c792/Contact.aspx
Klick on: Decoratie = on the light green colom left , the third word under: PRODUKTOVERZICHT.
scrol a litlle bit down and you will see the fibers I use now...the are colered so no ratllecan treatment anymore that is a lot easier and the house wont smell like fresh paint anymore! ;-)I attached an image about what I am trying to tell/make clear to you.
btw: you don't know how to ad the bark on the trunk and branches???

GonefishinYes , those are great Z scale trees...but translating it into a larger scale I think they have to be more detailed! ( I think!)
But for a HO background forrest I think those are indeed the best I've seen ever.

Jos

Jos, so your screen name actually means pine tree in Dutch? How appropriate. :) I tried making long leaf pine trees like Ponderosa's and they are really difficult to recreate realistically. Have you done some of those? I suppose you have but this thread is so long that I've never gone through it all.

I tried making long leaf pine trees like Ponderosa's and they are really difficult to recreate realistically. Have you done some of those? I suppose you have but this thread is so long that I've never gone through it all.[/QUOTE]

Jim,
I went thru the whole thread & read everything. Took me about an hour. Lot of fantastic pictures of Jos's tree's. He's an Artist.

Larry

Den, this fibres are smaller than sisal fibres ? Because i found sisal in my flowershop. I think i know how make te trunk but we will see when i start make it on next tree :D. I just wont see how it's will be look withe foliage. And 1 question more, if u cut fibres on 1 cm length and put it in the "shoesbox" as you said, the fibres not "glued" ?

these filterfibers are what I use in combination with the colored fibers I found some months ago!
f_KopievanHObm_bae6d0d.jpg

And here a picture how I added, with a litlle bit of sprayglue FIRST! , the fine filterfibers on the branches of a HO tree. Try to spray the glue only on the ends of the twigs/branches!
f_filterfaserm_ad5ea6f.jpg

next one with the latest kind of fibers: bought in a flower decoration shp!!the fibers are already colered brown! that easy!!
f_RRLbrownfibm_4f97b5f.jpg

Important too, is before glueing the "leaves" to add some very fine grassfibers from, for example NOCH, again first spray some gluespray on the added filterfibers!
f_RRLfinegrasm_b864f8c.jpg

Here my latest Birch in Ho made in this methode:
f_RRLbirchtrem_6c584e7.jpg

also big shrubs can be made in the same way:
beneluxeurospoor2of1.jpg

Jos

Jos, that birch is fantastic! As you probably know, it's commonly called a Paper Birch over here. Your "big shrub" would suit me fine as a tree. :)

Back