How to Make Trees and Shrubs

last question..

3. What material do you use for foliage? ( is it dyed sawdust )?
No, this time i used Woodland Scenic coarse turf - medium green and after that I sprinkeled some "Leafs from'" Noch"over it . Both materials , W.S. coarse turf and the leafs of NOch were added with a big sieve!
The product number of "Noch blätter" is: No: 07144= Laub mittelgrün
http://www.noch.de/de/produktkatalog/artikel_detail.php?shop_artikelid=1028399&navi_Kategorie1=NOCH&navi_Kategorie2=Basteln%20und%20Gestalten&navi_Kategorie3=Gras,%20Streu,%20Flock&navi_Kategorie4=

Jos

Thanks for the patience and detailed explenation, I will try to practice these methods and see how I come out, though I'm still not sire if I can find those fibres anywere in my country, I never saw them before.

As for teh trunks, before you apply glue and sprinkle sawDUST, do you wrap the wire with some kind of tape, or thread tape, or just apply glue and dust on it? I saw your tree has some sort of layer visible as if bark is stripped.!!!

I'm still staring at that tree photo and wondering how you made that broken branch part and also the tree trunk & branch without bark, I mean U would not sprinkle and sawdust, but then how do you cover the wire strands!!!!.

Hi Max,

As for the trunks, before you apply glue and sprinkle sawDUST, do you wrap the wire with some kind of tape, or thread tape, or just apply glue and dust on it?
No I don't wrap it with any tape..just add/paint the glue on it . actualy the first time I paint the "naked" wires and add directly the sawdust.
But if you are in a hurry... and you want to thicken the "bark" right away ,just wait some minutes( no problem because you have to do the other branches...;) !) and add the second layer with sawdust. IMPORTANT!! : now you have to be carefull...don't paint to rough so the fresh "bark" can loose from the wires, but let it flow/drop from the ( soaked) brush! You will see that the mix will soaked up/flow over the new bark without any damage! Take the sieve with the sawdust and add it to the fres painted ereas..
The "trick" with the stripped bark ( could be?) the fact that , after the trunk was completed(painted and weathered) I add some very fine sieved : fine turf, burnt grass from Woodland...over the trunk and some big branches with diluted white glue so it has to look like dried moss and alga...(btw: Actualy I don't know what you mean??)
do you mean this:
pict0761lm0.jpg

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I was referring to the part encircled in BLUE

it looks like the branch had its bark stripped off, the colour of wood when you strip off the bark is mostly whitish.

OOHHHW that is what you mean...I encirceled it in red! lol
VERY simple": I use real branches, like the ones from Buxus sempervirens ans from Acer palmatum, and brake them on the right spot. I just don't paint them with the "mix" so it will stay clean.. If the tree is ready( still without its leafs!) I drybrush those part with a grey/light ocre color to have it an old weathered look....
Hope this is the right answer?

Jos

So U mean that part in the red circle is a real tree branch ( stick)!! that's why it looks so real :p I think even the broken branches then are real pieces! cause I was wondering how U could make real looking broken branches out of wire :p

Thanks.

try to post a pic on wich you can see how I "assemble the trunk and big branches.. and here it is..
naamloosku8.jpg

and an other one.. it is an old ,very old trunk, it is all what is left of a giant tree...
olddeadtrunkofatreego0.jpg

and now the "assambling"picture....
howtomakeoldoaktreeikg5.jpg

btw: the ruler is in CM!

Jos

OK!, that's it then, not I understand why they look that realistic :p. At first I thought they were all made out of wire, so I couldn't understand, how you could get that real shaved trunk colour :)

Ok finally here's the tree I was talking about, nothing to do with Jos's trees and I done this about 6 yrs ago, since then I haven't touched any tree modeling, here I only modeled a little the wire, no elaborated work done. This is only made from wire though, no real branches.

tree.jpg

Thanks

btw Maxitrains: did/do you made/make the frame of the tree always like this...?
I mean starting the trunk with many many wires...?

Jos

Yeah, I thought the trees were actually made like that, so I found thick wires with many strands, like welding sets earth cable, and cut the to specific lenghts and started making branches out of it. But now seeing yours I mainly got the idea of how to make big trees.

Hi Maxitrains,

I was wondering because may be this could be an easier way to built a common HO treeframe..( 0,02 cents)
I was always in a fight with all those wires..sometimes my specs felled off!
So i tried to make a "central"( the inside of the trunk) wire of 2 mm and turned a more thin wire( 0,4 mm) around the basic wire and made the branches very easy by adding one or two wires at the place where they could grow out of the trunk...
Add pictures...

Jos

roots or branches...it's the same

Here is a picture of some roots of a pine tree .
They were made the same way as I did with the branches and twigs, only smaller/shorter.
wurzelnfichtenwt9.jpg

had to make the roots because the trees will be "modelled" as if they are blown down by strong gale winds/storm....
btw: it is HO scale

Jos

Jos, You've done it again. You've managed to have more detail in the roots of your trees then most people have on the tops of their trees.

Well done. I remember seeing alot of trees like that in the area I grew in. The soil was moist and soft, and the slightest wind storm pushed them over.

Thanks Ron! =)
btw: hope to show some pictures, in about a year or so, of how "it" ( pushed over trees...) will look like...

Jos

Just another tree..
he he =): some model only trains and cars others buildings and I.....
krippebaumweinachten200mw5.jpg

litlle bit closer:
krippebaumweinachten200ay4.jpg

Jos

Jos, you make the most fantastic trees I've ever seen. I've followed your suggestions and my trees now look better but they'll never be as nice as yours.

Everything I can do ,...you can do better!!!!....(old song)

Hello Jim,
but they'll never be as nice as yours.
I thought for 3-4 years ago the same as I saw the trees made by mr. Brandl( famous European mrrmodeller!) and now I can make tem almost the same as he does...SO why can't it happen to you!! =))
Hereare some of his "creations". he is master in "Landscaping"
just watch for some impressions overhere:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.eisenbahn-journal.de/img/kal08/55070205.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.eisenbahn-journal.de/art/550702.html&h=295&w=425&sz=39&hl=nl&start=17&tbnid=0gADwNurb5Jk-M:&tbnh=87&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bsite:www.eisenbahn-journal.de%2BJosef%2BBrandl%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dnl%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

Jos

sequoia trunks...that is my new item this time.
i was asked more than once to make the bottompart of those huge trees growing in the west coast of the USA.
In HO they would be more than3 feet!!
First i started to watch many many pictures from this kind of tree( google.!!..:) )
cause this tree doesn't grow overhere in that size!! the biggist overhere is only about 65 feet...
after collecting enough information I started how to make the structure/texture of the trunk/
I found some methodes on internet and al were almost/about the same: pulling with sharp sawblade over a round piece of wood( broomstick)
So that is what I did. after this , I sanded it smoothly , not to much, otherwise the texture could be easily sanded away!
First I painted it all with( vey) dark grey( latex wallpaint) and than drybrushed the "red/brown"color over the trunktexture/surface..( Humbrol)
as it dried all night I did finishing it drybrushing it again with the acryl color:ivory
f_trunkSequoim_98c9b67.jpg

f_trunkSequoim_fca8a38.jpg

f_trunkHOsequm_ff8e423.jpg

the branches are made this week...and will add them to the trunk by making small holes with a dremel
and glue them in the small holes at the trunk. The "green stuff" will be added next week I hope, after the branches are colored etc...

Jos

stormy weather causes damages!!

made some "broken" firtrees...
the trunks and roots are made again with wires and covered/modelled with sawdust and whiteglue to look like bark...

Jos

Back