How to Make Trees and Shrubs

help making trees...

I do hope so too Steve :) because as I started, 2 years ago learning this way of how to "built" a tree it was also watching zillion times:rolleyes: the Photos and drawings (on internet) of the people I have learned it from. So making these modeltrees I show to you is a product of many modelrailroaders like you all over the world!!! Honour to whom honour is due!!!.
I added only an other way to glue the fine branches and modelleafes to it( fibres and sawdust from MDF)

Picture add: today's newest attempt to make a Ceder:eek:
grove den

N scale

two pictures of a N scale tree 12 cm

:eek: Howly!! :eek: it's midnight...have to go:mad: good night:D to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finished my "howe to make" Hope you liked it. Look at halfway this thread..
Are there any questions?

I've split the "how to" portion of this thread off by itself, to make it easier to find. It's a very useful article.

Excellent photos and descriptions, thank you for taking the time to post this!

Your welcome sir. I liked it too AND I learned a lot: how to write english again:D , how to copy pictures/ post them :D ,I have to read carefuly( before answering!:eek: ) How to use a digital camara etc etc!
Actually I have to thank Bill kosanda!:D
Although I have not a layout of myself I am glad to watch the progress of other layouts wich are also on this forum or "just"watching the pictures that are posted here!:) :)

Jos

American "Look-a-like's" fir trees

Last week I tried to make a fir tree( HO scale) like they grow in your country, it is a start....
The "large one"(on the right) is made with fine turf from Woodland and the "small" one( left) is made with coarse turf also from Woodland.
They are made in the way I wrote already in this thread.
Hope they do like the ones growing in your country/layout:D

Jos

Still busy( also) with the trees!! In all kind of shape/ hights and sorts..
First three are pics of a poplar and the last one is an attempt to make a firtree a la Bill Kosanda...BTW the poplars are in N scale

Some tree"frames

"Here you can see the frame of a pinetree and a beachtree both in HO scale
Pine tree about 10 inches and the beachtree 11/12 inchesso...real big ones( to MRR scale...) The last one could be a fruittree in late spring...also HOscale

small forrest/wood

This is the result of one evening modelrailroadingtreebuildingFUN. the trees are in scale N max.: 9/10 cm( >4 inches)
Found one pic of Pinetrees taken from below and up tothe blue sky... and an other one from an very old( Tillia) I think you call it limetree. It is the tree from tread #17 but now of course with leaves..

I love the fruit tree. The foliage shape is simply great !

attachment.php

Some tree frames, part two

Here are the pics of the next staps after I made the frame of the trees.
The frame of the pine tree is now colored with Latexwallpaint
and the skelleton of the beachtree is now covered with the fibers i told of and the leaves are from Woodland( turf-green grass) and micro flocken from Bush or Noch...

Man Jos, think you could pull this off with some Palms for me!? Though I might have a use for one or two trees, I'm going to have to try my hardest to replicate yours!

Thanks Josh...I'll give the palm trees a try...Totaly new for me but when I am writing this( and that takes some time!) I have already some ideas how to make them...
In the meantime I am finishing the pine tree bit by bit...The added picture (second one) shows it with the glued( aerosol) light green fibers, and the first one a clos up so you can see the fibers...less is more
Next week he will get his dark green needles/leaves...but first I have to "paint"the brancheswith the basic color: Scotsh Pine;) Aerosolpaint( alkyde).
edit: 19 jan. 2007 Here they are is with the leaves/needles(HO)

scotchpinemd1.jpg

Palm trees

Josh: BTW what kind of palmtrees are growing in the area you'r modelling on your layout?? There are so many palmtrees! Do have a picture or links to a website on wich I can see what kind of trees...
thanks,Jos

Grove den, thanks so much for posting this great thread. I am going to have to go get some supplies so that I can make some trees.

Back