How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Almost seems like a shame to have such nice looking trees on the ground but that's what nature does. We had thousands of trees down in our tornado in February and it's amazing all the different ways trees can be destroyed, from just snapping off their trunks like yours to just a stump and few branches left but otherwise completely stripped. Nice work, as usual.

Yes Jim nature can be cruel . back in October of 2006 we had a freak Winter storm here . Left two feet of snow on everything . Trees where full of leaves and the snow destroyed thousands of them form branches being broken. We are just now starting to replant them but it will take years for them to reach maturity and look the same. Such a shame !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul,
Indeed. we had a an early storm like that in Cleveland when I was a little kid and it took until I was in high school before our street had some shade again. Portions of Prattville will look like a desert for a long time to come. :)

Made some willows..typical dutch landscape trees! :)
f_knotwilgen2m_bf1c6d8.jpg

Jos

Jos, those are beautiful leaves and branches. I hesitate to even say this but I don't like the trunks. They don't appear to be the right color for the weeping willow trees I'm familiar and they sort of look like burlap bags instead of trunks. Maybe you're just not finished with the trunks?

Awsome as usual Jos!
Trees are on my to-do list, learning lots here!
Um...any chance you can turn that blonde around?
:eek:)

Jim( UPCSX) : " I hesitate to even say this but I don't like the trunks. They don't appear to be the right color for the weeping willow trees I'm familiar and they sort of look like burlap bags instead of trunks "

You are absolutly right Jim but the pollard willows I made for the german public layout will be seen at aprox. 5/6 feet away...and also from above( like from out a balloon, so there was no need to engrave the bark and pay "much" attention to the shape . The color of the trunks on the picture I showed is not the "real one" I think it is part of the way I took the picture: without sunshine!
something like this:
f_knotwilgen2m_34f9e6d.jpg

Rico: " Um...any chance you can turn that blonde around "
f_knotwilgen2m_c6040fe.jpg

that is the only picture I have about the blonde "from the other side"...;)

Oldgettysk: Thanks again sir! :)
here is a pic of some pollard willows from overhere...( attachment)

Jos

Ah, OK, Jos, I was thinking of what we Americans call a weeping willow. This is what I was thinking of:

30_md.jpg

I can see now the tree you were making and, as usual, you've done a great job. That view from above is really nice (as is the blonde). :)

We have some like that here, they grow like that after being lopped off at six to eight feet up
Rico ha ha ha, she's clothed

making extremely cheap shrubs

On KAIKOURA RR (my first 2x1 meter layout) I'm using a unique way to make shrubs.

1.Find the type of tree I found (a big tree with instead of flowers small tumble weed like puff balls) and pick one of the puff balls.

2.Break the puff ball into small pieces.

3.Pour glue over the pieces and then sprinkle green foam (which you can buy) over them.

4.Place the shrubs all over your layout!

Sounds like a great idea, Jack. Any idea what the name of the tree is so I can see if they grow around here?

Damn Grove you make the most realistic trees I've ever seen!!!! I never seen someone so good at so many types!!! :eek:

hey Jim,

overhere we call it too weeping willow..( treurwilg) so
I've made some of them too!
btw are there some "pollard willows" growin at your place??

thanks AGGRO !! ;)

Jos

Jos, pollarding, as far as I can tell by searching the web, is almost exclusively done in the UK and Europe. It just means trimming the trees each year when they get to about 3 to 5 meters tall. Apparently, the trunks assume a rather distorted look when you do this for enough years, or centuries, as may be the case with willows. This seems to be the most common in the Netherlands and Germany. So no, I haven't seen a pollarded tree over here, which is what threw me off when you described those trees as "weeping willows". The tree in the photo on your last post is what I was expecting.

Lombardy poplar

Well folks been busy the last month...up in the sky: modelling Lombardy poplars!!
The "prototype" is already ok so I've got a 'blueprint' for the other ones I have to make....!
here a picture of the result in the midlle of our 'indian summer 'weather we had...
f_populierbenm_5aec194.jpg

Jos

Beautiful job as usual, Jos. I've just started using Woodland Scenics Fine Leaf Foliage to re-do some of the trees on my layout. They don't come out anywhere as nice as yours but at least they don't look as much like clumps of broccoli now. :)

Thanks Jim! =))
and good luck on the re-doing of the foliage of your trees!
btw: broccoli IS(!) very healthy!! =)

Jos

Strooth Jos, if it wasn't for the plastic people you would never know they were models,,, Excellent job, you should be proud of your work, you should be given a knighthood i recon.

Back