How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Thanks Tom!

watching his new "FitBit"..........still 15 kilo to go!
karl monatsbericht 2.jpg

I had wondered about how you were doing the multitude of branches. I have been hand making trees by soldering up individual wire branches. Makes a nice tree but takes forever! Still lacking a 12 V Jack plug to finish my Static Grass applicator!

Cheers: Tom

I had wondered about how you were doing the multitude of branches. I have been hand making trees by soldering up individual wire branches. Makes a nice tree but takes forever! Still lacking a 12 V Jack plug to finish my Static Grass applicator!

Cheers: Tom
Auto battery. Rechargeable too.

747flier:
I had wondered about how you were doing the multitude of branches.
I try to keep it "simple"....the small twigs/brances are actualy fibres of halloweenwigs! So no "individual"wires.
The tall shrub in post #622 has only 3 wires the rest are long- 1 inch max. fibres of a wig.....and of course some smaller fibres like 4 or 2 mm ones before adding the "leaves".

Attachments

• struik 5b.jpg
    struik 5b.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 40
  • lijsterbesMartin1Klform&lijst WEB.jpg
    lijsterbesMartin1Klform&lijst WEB.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 41
You apply the wig fibers through the static grass applicator or apply by hand? I am modeling the WP&YR running fro SE Alaska over the mountains to Yukon so mostly Spruce, Cedar and birch/aspen. Thanks for the help!

747flier: You apply the wig fibers through the static grass applicator or apply by hand?
Well both ...if the type of tree or shrub is "asking" for applying by hand I mostly add these fibres on the tree/shrub upside down... gently strike with some fibres over the top/ends of the wires. These fibres are mostly longer than 1 inch.
When using the applicator I recommend only fibres cut max 1/2 to 3/4 inch an inch!
The branches on the trunk of the aspen are all just one wire........the twigs are 3 different lengths of fibres. Starting with the longest and ending with the 2 mm. I always spray the twigs/branches/ fibres a darker colour as the leaves I add to the tree.

Jos

Attachments

• struik 7a pruikvezels.jpg
    struik 7a pruikvezels.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 39
  • struik 7b detail.jpg
    struik 7b detail.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 39
  • rob aspen sept 2023 c klform.jpg
    rob aspen sept 2023 c klform.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 42
Latest " work"... plus 2 trees " under construction"= only fibres: 15- 20 mm , 12mm and finaly the 4 mm...

Attachments

• 20231201_153904.jpg
    20231201_153904.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231201_154325.jpg
    20231201_154325.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231201_153157.jpg
    20231201_153157.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231201_154730.jpg
    20231201_154730.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231201_153437.jpg
    20231201_153437.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 38
Very nice, currently (pun) awaiting a 12 V female jack plug to be able to build my static applicator. Surprisingly enough I saw some beautiful Cherry Trees in blossom made by the twisted wire method at Michaels crafts store. Even using cheap labor, the cost of doing individually made trees commercially for retail is prohibitive in quantity.

Brilliant! While I've generally assumed I'd make trees--aspens in particular--using wire (I recently bought a thousand feet or so for this very purpose) it had not occurred to me that a simple electrical connection from roots to branch ends could make this so...easy. ???
As regards Aspens in particular, I've wanted to try 3D (SLA) printing them, or at least the trunks, which would be done without internal wires. For Aspens, I think painting or ink printing the trunks should or even must be done light grey colors, along with dark-black horizontal "slashes" where the branches break off, but it's true the upper branches are much darker.

Which begs this question: Couldn't a temporary electrical feeder be set alongside such a trunk (or even a simple wood trunk) to also "capture" these wig branches? Seems to me it might be possible, and without a lot of effort, either. Just imagineering, of course.

In any case, this will be very helpful. Thanks for posting it!

Last edited:
@Snowman

Which begs this question: Couldn't a temporary electrical be set alongside such a trunk (or even a simple wood trunk) to also "capture" these wig branches? Seems to me it might be possible, and without a lot of effort, either. Just imagineering, of course.
The wig( fibres) branches are far to thin for drying in/at the right angle(!!) on the trunk! That is why I use the 0,4 mm floristic wires for the "main"branches....
20230219_131946.jpg

in this case/tree I used no wig fibres but 12 mm fibres first( 1 minute)

20230219_133825.jpg

added 4 mm fibres...( also 1 minute...)

and the end result after an extra minute:

20230219_135622.jpg

May be in Z scale????

@747flier:
A static device is not a must to make conifers( fir, spruce etc.)
When addi ng fibers by using a strainer!! Not by hand) , for example 12 mm ones a hairblower can blow all the fibres pointing down.
The " main" direction of the twigs , using the hairblower, is easily done this way!
Only adding som smaller/ shorters fibres like 4 or 2 mm and ending with fine turf as immitation of the short needles.
Btw I glue the fibres and turf with spray glue.

I use a very strong 3M spray adhesive for the fibers but hand apply them to keep them off of the trunk. Can you do this with the sifter?

sproeienlijmJeorg.jpg

like this!.... most of the glue has to be sprayed over /on the ends of the "branches/twigs.
If.... there are fibres glued to the trunk or other places that shouldn't just remove them with a stiff cheap small brush dipped in white spirit/terpentine and when dry continue with adding the next fibres or the "leaves.

Jos

All that worked pretty well, currently I am making there branches out of fishing line (Monofilament) which seems pretty good, flexible enough to give the branches some toughness. Earlier I was twisting wire to het some forking. Currently I lay a piece across two adjacent branches and glue, then trim out piece between, leaving two forked branches. Before adding the static grass material I am painting the branches in stages with Modgepodge. Not having a hairdryer I just blow on the static grass, though airbrush might do the trick better. Nice having. lathe to round and taper the trunks. After I get these under control maybe move on to Birch (Betula Papiferia) which are common in the Boreal forests, such as where I live.

Cheers to all! Tom

@747flier / Tom:
No pictures about your technique ?? :
Currently I lay a piece across two adjacent branches and glue, then trim out piece between, leaving two forked branches. Before adding the static grass material I am painting the branches in stages with Modgepodge.

Jos

Back