How important is the programming track

1. No one is saying you have to put it on the layout, it is just a convenient place to put it for moving the loco on to the mainlines for further testing/adjusting CV's, i.e. you don't have to pick it up and move it. CV's such as speed dependant sounds and acceleration/deceleration that require you to run on long lengths of track for final adjustment can be done by simply throwing a switch and entering the mainline. Why not? It doesn't require any more work or electrical knowledge than having it located remotely.
Totally agree. And for me not messing up my skirt every time I go to program an engine.

Rex,

I have no arguments there. We ran 10 locos on a 20 x 25 layout for about 2 hours on a Zephyr, but I would seriously consider upgrading as that does push the limit. And if you are going to do that all the time it is cheaper to buy the Super Chief up front. However, too many people over buy.

It's not the size of the layout that makes the difference, it's the number of locos. But I'll grant you that the larger the layout, the more likely you'll want to run a larger number of trains.

I agree with you that people do buy well beyond there needs. It is very important for a new person to take an honest look at their goals and themselves and ask themselves: is this size all I will possibly have, will I ever have space for more track/locomotives running, is this just a curiosity that I may not like.

You never really know until you are in the hobby and have gained new ideas and methods. Heck, I went from a half garage to a full garage layout. I know it is hard for one to come up with any absolutes, but at least they can purchase with some reasonable certainty.

Wow! Lots of reading here!
I will drop my 2 pennies here too.

I purchased the following do to the very reasons of expandability, upgradability, and infinite accessories. Also having the FULL programing capabilities.

I have the following:

Digitrax Zephyr
DT400IR
UR91
JMRI program Decoder Pro

I absolutley love it...and when the time comes this system will be able to grow with my layout and meet my demands!

The main reason for me looking to buy the larger unit (Super CHief) up front has to to with the overall economy of the exercise. I can buy the S/C here in SA for the equivalent of about $400 - that gives me 5amp capability and a DT400 hand throttle compared to the Zephyr with 2.5amp and no hand throttle. If I purchase the Zephyr it will cost me about $180 and later another $180 for the DT-400. If I then want to add a booster to increase the current capacity to 5amp, a booster will cost more than the $60 additional I would have spent up front.

This may not be the case in US, but with our exchange rates, it seems to make more sense to go for the bigger system up front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad,

Makes sense to me. I think the DT400 is the best throttle out there right now. (No arguments guys, it's a personal choice and I've used NCE and Prodigy at ops session). If you are paying that much for the two, then go for the Super Chief.

Add the computer interface though so you can use the free software package, Decoder Pro.

Sounds like a good decision and I believe you will be pleased with it. Yeah, using DecoderPro is one of the smartest things I have done. ;) :)

Which programming interface best for DecoderPro

I have been reading up on JMRI DecoderPro in conjunction with the Digitrax system and just wondered which interface would be best for interfacing between DecoderPro and the SuperChief. There appear to be a few options inculding the Digitrax PR-2 and the LocoBuffer interfaces.

Any comments?

I will give you a good reason for getting a system that has a program track; NCE decoders require a program track to be reset, they cannot be reset from the main. As for BLI units with sound, also have to be done on the program track, especially the bluelines with dual dcc decoders. One more point is this, if you ever have a problem decoder, then you would need the program track to read it to discover if it has reset itself or corrupted completely ( had a NCE D13SRJ do just that and had to be sent back to manufacturer).
I hope this gives you a better reason for maybe re-thinking your decision of which dcc system to get. Its easier to get a dcc system that has the capabilites now and just add to it rather than having to upgrade your base system later.
I do believe this was a reason you were asking what a primary need of the program track was for?

I'm having a problem programming on the main with my Super Empire Builder, It'll beep once (looked up meaning: means packed sent) then the LocoNET dies, not returning. Help me please? What I do is I set the DT400 to program and turn off all other tracks as to not kill all other locomotives. Then when I press enter, it dies, no matter what CV packet is sent. Funny thing is, even though it dies, it still programs the decoder.

Hi all,

After the input from all you guys and reading lots of articles on the different systems, I settled for the Super Chief and have been running it for about a month or so. So far, I am very happy with the system and am very pleased I decided on that system and one with a programming track. I had a problem the other day where I accidentally entered an incorrect address and without the program track, I don't know how I would have read the address back from the decoder.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice.

Brad

Very glad you are satisfied.
Have you tried DecoderPro yet? That should be on top of your "to do" list.

I'm having a problem programming on the main with my Super Empire Builder, It'll beep once (looked up meaning: means packed sent) then the LocoNET dies, not returning. Help me please? What I do is I set the DT400 to program and turn off all other tracks as to not kill all other locomotives. Then when I press enter, it dies, no matter what CV packet is sent. Funny thing is, even though it dies, it still programs the decoder.

I am very disappointed that this question has gone unanswered all this time, and that I did not see it to deal with it myself. I would guess that Dude has long since moved on and hopefully solved his problem.

In case someone in the future should happen upon this thread and have the same issue, the DB150 from Digitrax immediately cuts power to the rails upon pressing "enter" in Paged Mode, which is how Digitrax urges users to input their addresses. You must manually restore power using the Pwr key at lower left on the DT400, and then press "y+" up top. I find I must also press "function" to get the display to read as it did earlier.

But if you have input an extended address (a number higher than 127), you should expect that it was successful. You're still only halfway done. You must also enable the extended address before the decoder will respond to its new address. That means entering programming again, but this time in Ops Mode, and changing CV29 to a value of "34". This is critical, or when you dial in the new address, your engine won't respond, and you'll go back to "03" and find that it pouts on that address now, too. You must tell the decoder it has permission to deal with this new long address, and that is where you alter the value in CV29. Note that the value "34" is for dual mode decoders where you do NOT want the decoder to be able to operate on DC as well. If you do want to be able to run it occasionally on a DC layout, the value you must enter to CV29 is "38".

Very glad you are satisfied.
Have you tried DecoderPro yet? That should be on top of your "to do" list.

Hi Rex,

I have not tried DecoderPro yet as I have been busy with various other aspects in preparation for DCC operation. I also need to sort out a suitable interface and then will give DecoderPro a try.

Does anyone know if there is a circuit around to build an interface which will work with the Digitrax Super Chief and DecoderPro?

Brad, I haven't ran across any home designs, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't built a compatible interface. I am a retired electronics type and have found that most across-the-shelf items end up cheaper in the long run than trying to design and build. However, if you have access to free/cheap parts, it is a lot of fun (+self-satisfaction) to build your own. :)

LocoBuffer can be built, however as Rex mentioned, the parts will cost more then a new LocoBuffer USB, not the mention the headaches.

I found a schematic for the LocoBuffer II and I see that it is quite a complex unit and I agree, I think I would rather just get one of the Digitrax PR3 interfaces.

Back