History of All Kinds

Brooks Robinson Jr. - Mr. Oriole (May 18, 1937 – September 26, 2023)

Words can never do justice to what Brooks meant to the Orioles, the city of Baltimore and all of MLB. He was truly a man of the highest honor and humility. He treated everyone with respect. Even though he is one of the true greats of the game his autograph has little monetary value. Because he never turned down anyone who asked for one. We will all miss you, Brooks.

1695869525817.png

1695925509711.png

1696137059094.png

Now he is.

Last edited:
Brooks Robinson Jr. - Mr. Oriole (May 18, 1937 – September 26, 2023)

Words can never do justice to what Brooks meant to the Orioles, the city of Baltimore and all of MLB. He was truly a man of the highest honor and humility. He treated everyone with respect. Even though he is one of the true greats of the game his autograph has little monetary value. Because he never turned down anyone who asked for one. We will all miss you, Brooks.

View attachment 174615

View attachment 174628
I love it when a talented athlete has time for his fans!

He will be fondly remembered by many...

Thanks for posting, Dave LASM

I love it when a talented athlete has time for his fans!

He will be fondly remembered by many...

Thanks for posting, Dave LASM
Dave, I must share this with you,

I never knew Brooks personally. I spoke with him briefly many times when I was the doorman at the Hit and Run Club in Memorial Stadium. He would often say hello as he came in. The club was in the main entrance of the Stadium, under the words on the memorial. From my post looking out towards 33rd street, the Orioles clubhouse entrance was to my right and the visitors' clubhouse entrance was to my left. As soon as you entered the right (looking into the stadium) doorway from outside there were doors on the left leading to the ramps to the concourses, upper and lower decks.
1696008058385.png

Poor kids from the neighborhood would wait outside those doors hoping to see players. Brooks was the Color Analyst for WMAR TV2 after he retired from baseball. Brooks was always running late to his broadcasting job. He would literally run in and up the ramps to the press box where he did the broadcast for the games. That is a long step run! He would tell the kids, "I'm sorry, I'm running late, but if you wait, I will be back" He had to tape the pregame show. To my amazement Brooks always came back! Many times, the kids would be gone. Brooks would look out the door and ask me "are they gone". I would reply "yes sir". If the kids were still there, he would sign every autograph and spend time with those kids. Then he would go back up to the press box. Walking up those ramps to the upper deck was a long strenuous walk. I had always heard Brooks was a great man. That was tangible proof of his greatness for me.

21st November

HMHS Britannic,
the largest Olympic-class ocean liner of the White Star Line and sister ship of RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic was sunk, with the loss of 30 lives. There were a total of 1,066 people on board, with 1,036 survivors taken from the water and lifeboats, about two hours after the ship sank at 9:07 am. She was the largest ship lost during the First World War.

21st November

HMHS Britannic,
the largest Olympic-class ocean liner of the White Star Line and sister ship of RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic was sunk, with the loss of 30 lives. There were a total of 1,066 people on board, with 1,036 survivors taken from the water and lifeboats, about two hours after the ship sank at 9:07 am. She was the largest ship lost during the First World War.
pretty amazing only 30 lost!

Thanks for sharing Dave LASM

22ND NOVEMBER 1869

The clipper "Cutty Sark
" was launched In Dumbarton, Scotland. She was one of the last clippers ever built, and is the only one still surviving today. She is preserved as a museum ship, located near the centre of Greenwich, in south-east London.

John F. Kennedy

U.S. President John F. Kennedy assassinated

Last edited:
28th December 1879 THE TAY BRIDGE DISASTER

The Tay railway bridge collapsed whilst the Edinburgh to Dundee train was crossing. The original crossing was the longest railway bridge in the world but during the storm the wind was said to have blown the iron girders in the central section away 'like matchwood. The engine and carriages plummeted into the icy river below killing 59 people.

In 1979 British Rail commissioned a special train to take people across the new bridge at the exact time of the original accident ....... 19:15 GMT. On 28th December 2013 granite memorials to commemorate the disaster were unveiled on both sides of the river.

22ND NOVEMBER 1869

The clipper "Cutty Sark
" was launched In Dumbarton, Scotland. She was one of the last clippers ever built, and is the only one still surviving today. She is preserved as a museum ship, located near the centre of Greenwich, in south-east London.

John F. Kennedy

U.S. President John F. Kennedy assassinated
Looks like one of the "players" in assassination plan is smirking in the back.

28th December 1879 THE TAY BRIDGE DISASTER

The Tay railway bridge collapsed whilst the Edinburgh to Dundee train was crossing. The original crossing was the longest railway bridge in the world but during the storm the wind was said to have blown the iron girders in the central section away 'like matchwood. The engine and carriages plummeted into the icy river below killing 59 people.

In 1979 British Rail commissioned a special train to take people across the new bridge at the exact time of the original accident ....... 19:15 GMT. On 28th December 2013 granite memorials to commemorate the disaster were unveiled on both sides of the river.
Amazingly the locomotive was supposedly pulled out of the wreck and rebuild to serve for several years afterwards.

Amazingly the locomotive was supposedly pulled out of the wreck and rebuild to serve for several years afterwards.
True. It was number 224 a North British Railway (NBR) 4.4.0 locomotive and tender. The train was five carriages and a luggage van.

On attempting to lift the engine from the River Tay it fell back down into it as the chains broke. A second attempt was unsuccessful. On the third attempt it was brought ashore.

On being repaired Scottish crews would have nothing to do with it, calling it 'The Dipper'. Unlucky it was said. The NBR Management then sent it to England; to Reedsmouth Shed, the southernmost depot on the NBR.
However, on the 29th anniversary of the disaster, 28 December 1908, no. 224 was used on the Sunday evening mail to Dundee via the new Tay Bridge.

The locomotive was withdrawn from service in 1919.

Last edited:
The 1958 NFL Championship Game was played on December 28, 1958, at Yankee Stadium in New York City. It was the 26th NFL championship game and the first NFL playoff game to be decided in sudden death overtime. The game was played between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, with the Colts winning 23-17. The game has often been called "The Greatest Game Ever Played".
1703884939315.png

1703884980164.png

12th January 1899

Unable to launch their lifeboat at Lynmouth because of heavy storms, the crew, horses and helpers dragged their 10 ton lifeboat Louisa and carriage, in the dark, the 15 miles overland to Porlock Weir. The 11 hour journey across Exmoor included a haul over Countisbury Hill (gradient 25% : 1 in 4) followed by descending another 1 in 4 hill down into Porlock where the corner of a house had to be demolished to gain access. Their rescue of the 18 crew from Forrest Hall was successful. The journey was re-enacted in daylight on 12th January 1999.

24th January 1972

Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi was found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II. He was among the last three Japanese hold-outs to surrender after the end of hostilities in 1945, almost 28 years after the island had been liberated by allied forces in 1944

8th April 1838
Steamship Great Western

The day before his 32nd birthday, Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s 236 ft steamship Great Western sailed from Bristol on her maiden voyage to New York. The journey took 15 days, half the time of the fastest sailing ship. She became the first steamship to make regular Atlantic crossings.

8th April 1838
Steamship Great Western

The day before his 32nd birthday, Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s 236 ft steamship Great Western sailed from Bristol on her maiden voyage to New York. The journey took 15 days, half the time of the fastest sailing ship. She became the first steamship to make regular Atlantic crossings.
hard to believe that was 1838...seems like it was just yesterday

Dave LASM

Fifty years ago today, April 8th, 1974. Henry Louis (Hammerin' Hank) Aaron breaks George Herman (Babe) Ruth's Record!

Hank Aaron connected for the 715th home run of his illustrious career, breaking the longstanding record held by Babe Ruth.
1712610382384.png

1712610566693.png

Hank Aaron was often asked in his many interviews "How do you want to be remembered?" He often gave detailed answers. His answers always meant the same, but in one interview he simply said, "As a good man"

Hank was more than one of MLB's greatest players. He was one of mankind's greatest people!

Last edited:

Back