History of All Kinds

You captured my curiosity on this one, Louis. The average pay in 1939 was something over .50 per hour, so with essentially two weeks of work you would be able to afford a 6 year old vehicle.

I know their taxes were way less and we didn't have the burden of health insurance as a major expense. Granted, the cars were not as nice but assuredly easier to work on.

Are we better off.

The big question, are people any happier today?

Dave LA
Dave: I also been thunking on that question. Humans in general are born ( at least should be ) with a few traits, Eat, Drink, Sleep and Pro-create. The 1st two and the last one keeps one busy. How could they not be happy doing those four? Boy, People. People in general, not sure but probably not; and that depends on their general overall mind set.

So generally speaking, add simple communication ( Bell ) and people could find out easier with one-ringy-dingy, two-ringy-dingy of what other people thought, what they were doing and felt.

Next was mass one-way communications ( Farnsworth ), then you could click, click click ( or twist, twist twist ) see what other people were up to. You could easily tell what they were doing, but not how they felt. The producers/writers handled that with happy/sad/mad stuff on the set with props that your brain picked up, and you probably felt the same way without thinking about it.

Now day, mass two way communication ( Berners-Lee ) with talk/text/and eMail - how could you not be happy?

I have always been of the happy mind set and approach each day with curiosity/gusto wondering what is gonna happen today. It seems that some of the other people get up with the ima pissed attitude that is always continuous of which they do not wish to change, so that must be their happy place.

Sure, I have been sad but always seem to get over that in a short time.

That make you happy? Did Me!

Later

Last edited:
Dave: I also been thunking on that question. Humans in general are born ( at least should be ) with a few traits, Eat, Drink, Sleep and Pro-create. The 1st two and the last one keeps one busy. How could they not be happy doing those four? Boy, People. People in general, not sure but probably not; and that depends on their general overall mind set.

So generally speaking, add simple communication ( Bell ) and people could find out easier with one-ringy-dingy, two-ringy-dingy of what other people thought, what they were doing and felt.

Next was mass one-way communications ( Farnsworth ), then you could click, click click ( or twist, twist twist ) see what other people were up to. You could easily tell what they were doing, but not how they felt. The producers/writers handled that with happy/sad/mad stuff on the set with props that your brain picked up, and you probably felt the same way without thinking about it.

Now day, mass two way communication ( Berners-Lee ) with talk/text/and eMail - how could you not be happy?

I have always been of the happy mind set and approach each day with curiosity/gusto wondering what is gonna happen today. It seems that some of the other people get up with the ima pissed attitude that is always continuous of which they do not wish to change, so that must be their happy place.

Sure, I have been sad but always seem to get over that in a short time.

That make you happy? Did Me!

Later
"General overall mindset". Nice phrase.

Going through a few old photos looking for clues, I think you are on to something...

Johnson 1935.png

These guys are horsing around and having a good time. This is a snow fence company (funny, snow fence still looks the same)

Walter, Janet 1935.png

The conductor and daughter, I believe, Walter and Janet in front of the Wyoming depot. All the Crex buildings are still there, as well as the outhouse in the background. Janet looks happy, Walter is trying to be serious, has some stuff on his mind. Janet is my great aunt, I believe. Many pictures of this depot on my layout thread. This picture taken about 1935. Wonder about the girl in the background.

Wyoming Delivery.png

Not exactly Amazon, but the packages got there. I LOVE the way they dressed for every day back then.

All these photographs from my Dads photo archives. I grew up about 3 miles from Wyoming MN but did most of my time in Forest Lake, which was 3 miles in the other direction from our house.

Dave LASM

Aerial View of Baltimore, MD (1973)
View attachment 173093
Louis -

The tall bldg in the foreground, apartments or office? We have a similarily shaped structure in St. Paul where they have picnic tables set up in the open space under the building and it's a nice arrangement. In that case, it is Section 8 housing.

The one in St. Paul also boasts some nice green space there, with some trees and lawn area about 150' wide circling the bldg.

By the way, I was in Junior High School when the picture was taken.

Dave LASM

The tall bldg in the foreground, apartments or office?
That is an office building.

They tore down much of the section 8 housing. One Highrise complex was several blocks east of the harbor, near little Italy. They looked like tall communist apartment buildings, ugly!

Section 8 is now spread throughout the metro area and beyond. The city had planned to tear down all the subsidized housing down. The federal courts stepped in and ordered them to halt until they built more. That has been slow going.

This is an example of the apartments they have been building all over downtown Baltimore.
1692646820287.png

No section 8 here.

Last edited:
World trade center they called it? What happened to that building I wonder.

Here is some of the new low income housing they are building in St. Paul, right next to a rather expensive 1 bedroom we rented not long ago...

Union Flats.png

Dave LASM

Drug traffickers often move in with legitimate low-income tenants. They pay well and or "make an offer you can't refuse" They were the reasoning behind tearing down Baltimore's low-income housing. Trying to get rid of them any other way is like playing "whack a mole"

National Beer Company on O'Donnell Street, Baltimore, MD
Photo by Bodine in 1949.
View attachment 173372
I love the tractor trailer depicted, also note all the cars very modern with no really old models in the pic.

From living in the cities for a few years, and most of my life living in very rural areas, you see a very different mix of autos. Lots of older cars/pickup trucks typically seen out in the sticks.

Dave LASM

I love the tractor trailer depicted, also note all the cars very modern with no really old models in the pic.

From living in the cities for a few years, and most of my life living in very rural areas, you see a very different mix of autos. Lots of older cars/pickup trucks typically seen out in the sticks.

Dave LASM
The National Brewing Company employees had good paying jobs.

Back