Here we go

Got the rest of staging done and the reverse loop. Gotta love the auto reverser. Painless is the best word to describe it. I got a nice bit of subroadbed cut for the main so it's going to be nice to start working on visible portions of the layout.
DSCF0534.jpgDSCF0535.jpgDSCF0537.jpg

The rain finally stopped around here so back to work I went. Still managed to get the grade on the peninsula in and started gluing cork and track down. So far it looks like I actually got the level separation where I wanted it so that's a sigh of relief.DSCF0538.jpgDSCF0541.jpgDSCF0544.jpg

Looking good, my favourite part of the hobby is the track on cork on wood phase.
Well okay maybe running that first train over it is.

Like the way things are coming together. It is a lot more fun working on visible portions of the layout and trying to visualize how scenery could be.

Thanks for the updates, waiting for more.

Chet

Looks really good! Like others, I envy the space. I'll be following along, looking forward to seeing the progress!

It's been a while since Ive updated this as work has really cramped my mrr time. Ive gotten the main level benchwork done for the outer walls and the 1 1/2 turn helix in. Started laying out the yard ladders to see if it will fit like I'm hoping. So far so good with a few tweaks along the way. Can't wait till I can actually take a trip around the whole room.
DSCF0553.jpgDSCF0555.jpgDSCF0554.jpgDSCF0552.jpg

Ha , haaa, my PEOPLE! I too am 'going big' in the basement, cleaning out and prepping the room for the layout has been a JOB! Not quite there with the room, it's BIG 30x30 feet. 'Drywall phase' is in effect! Shelf along three walls with a connecting bench is the plan, holes in the middle for access.

With the holiday weekend came time to make a little more progress on the layout. I finally got the entire main in and operational. It was so nice to actually see a train go all the way around the room. My 3 axle diesels will pull 18 cars up the grades without a struggle. It looks like it's time to start building some structures so I can get going on the branch line that will be the main focus of this layout. Here's a couple crappy pics but just had to share some happiness.
DSCF0559.jpgDSCF0558.jpgDSCF0557.jpg

Looking good Rick. Must make you feel real good to see trains moving on the layout. Congrats. appl.gif

I started my layout handlaying code 70 track and turnouts. Although my layout is point to point, I have hidden staging tracks which will allow continuous running. The hidden track is flex track and when I finally saw a train complete the trip, over three years after starting work on the layout, it was time to celebrate.

Looking good Rick. Must make you feel real good to see trains moving on the layout. Congrats. View attachment 52320

I started my layout handlaying code 70 track and turnouts. Although my layout is point to point, I have hidden staging tracks which will allow continuous running. The hidden track is flex track and when I finally saw a train complete the trip, over three years after starting work on the layout, it was time to celebrate.

That IS most awesome! I will feel real lucky to be a year from idea to reality! THREE years!?!,

"YOU da Man!"
imageskid.jpg

Yes, three years, but that was to be able to operate using the hidden staging tracks that allow the continuous running. It takes a bit longer to hand lay rail and build my own turnouts. Also I was working to have industries fit into a given spot. I would either build a kit or scratchbuild an industry or building to fit into a space that was available. I found out the hard way that I didn't just want to have a siding and try to stick a building at the siding sometime down the road. I ended up having to tear out a lot of hand laid track because I didn't plan properly.

I did a lot of switching in the towns that were built before the hidden staging tracks were completed. Kept me busy during the planning stages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Rick. Must make you feel real good to see trains moving on the layout. Congrats. View attachment 52320

Yea,it was nice to see a train run without having to back up. So far,everything has pretty much gone as planned and that's scaring me. I need to get off my butt and start assembling structures before I get too froggy on the branch line so there aren't any of those "oh sh** realizations. I just ordered a couple of bridges for the narrow portion of the layout so I can dabble on some scenery if I get burnt out on the other facets. I will say I'm tired of soldering feeders. Only about 500 to go. lol

Yes, three years, but that was to be able to operate using the hidden staging tracks that allow the continuous running. It takes a bit longer to hand lay rail and build my own turnouts. Also I was working to have industries fit into a given spot. I would either build a kit or scratchbuild an industry or building to fit into a space that was available. I found out the hard way that I didn't just want to have a siding and try to stick a building at the siding sometime down the road. I ended up having to tear out a lot of hand laid track because I didn't plan properly.

I did a lot of switching in the towns that were built before the hidden staging tracks were completed. Kept me busy during the planning stages.

I will have far more table than I will be needing at first. Planning track in very small bites. All flex save the 'set' curves and all atlas manual switches for starters.

I need to learn many, many things connected to track laying such as how much room is required for different things before I start getting to much down and have to pull it up because of inexperience. No point in detailed planning when I don't know the parameters! I have no idea what will work and what would be a waste of time to try! Thinking I could do 'this, 'this' and 'this' and finding out the too hard way it is a no-go!

I know I can SCRAM it but that is time away from the 'hands on' time I need to accumulate and takes away the 'mystery' of 'discovery'! LOL!

(oh, THAT'S where the line goes!)

It's been a while since Ive updated this as work has really killed my time. Got the winter layoff a few days before the holidays so I should make a little progress.

I built the first bridge for the branch line and it turned out decent. There will be a open deck girder bridge behind it for the main.

DSCF0561.jpgDSCF0564.jpg

I also got off my butt and finished up the control panels for the upper yard. I'm tired of wiring for sure.
DSCF0565.jpgDSCF0568.jpg

I'm sure I'll be making headway and posting more updates shortly.

Back