Here we go

roofintrash

After a 2 month room overhaul,the layout build has started. This is going to be a generic layout in anyplace USA. I like entirely too many different types of equipment/locations to try to be completely prototypical. I want to be able to let a mainline train run while I work the yard or branchline so continuous run is a must have. A lot of staging is also a requirement and that's where I'm starting. Room size is 12x24 with a 6x6 corner off limits. I decided to go with Railpro for control because,,,,,,,,just because. LOL Here's a plan of the staging level and the progress so far. Only 2 days in and I'm already grinning. All comments or criticism's welcome. Thanks for looking. Rick

Attachments

• staging 2 pic.jpg
    staging 2 pic.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCF0501.jpg
    DSCF0501.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 229
Looking like you're off to a good start. I can see a lot of possibilities here. My layout is built mainly for switching and a point to point, but with the use of hidden staging I can run trains continuosly while working industries or working in a yard. Looking forward to see what comes next.

Chet

Easements laid out and homasote just glued down. Now we wait.

Attachments

• DSCF0514.jpg
    DSCF0514.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0513.jpg
    DSCF0513.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 204
Looks good Rick. I see a couple of family members snuck into the picture. :)

I'm making progress on my basement, I'm just starting to lay down the insulation and OSB for the floor so I can put carpet down. I still have 2 more walls to paint clouds on, then I can start the benchwork. I'm 95% sold on Rail Pro also.

Joe

Thanks to all the rain here,Ive been able to knock out this first section of the layout. All busses,feeders,tortoises,and frogs wired. Switch panel for staging level in and wired. Grade started up to the main level. Time to hit the lumberyard and get back to some benchwork. It was nice to actually see a train move.
DSCF0521.jpgDSCF0522.jpgDSCF0523.jpgDSCF0516.jpg

i see RC planes so trains arent your only hobby

Yea,I'm into a few things. The layout room has been the R/C workshop for the last 20 or so years. Was heavy into R/C car racing for quite some time and still race now and then. Mostly 5th scale now. Planes are everything from park fliers to 25% gassers. I like to reload my own ammo and have a room dedicated to that and all the gun crap. I guess you could just say I'm a hobbiest. The trains have been stored in a closet since I bought this house 25yrs ago after the place I was renting went up in smoke. Thanks to a solid wood door the layout room survived with all the equipment. Just said screw it and moved everything to the back garage R/C wise,remodeled the room,and now it's layout time.

I got the benchwork built and up for the penninsula. Waiting on adjustable urethane feet for the legs before I can finalize those. One more section to go before I can start laying out the main to see if my grade calculations were right or wrong. 2% should give me a 12" separation between main and staging and the fingers are crossed. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF0525.jpg
    DSCF0525.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 189
Looks good, very nice benchwork. Great looking room for trains, following along. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the rest of the benchwork in and started laying out the second staging yard. Boy did this room get small quick. Going to try and get a bunch of mainline subroadbed cut today so I can move upward and onward. DSCF0526.jpgDSCF0528.jpg

Thanks guys. I have a feeling the progress will come to a serious slow down shortly. I drive a 40 ton articulated dump truck on a couple big building projects and the stupid amount of rain were getting here has killed my job. Just trying to take advantage of the down time as much as I can.

Hey Roof,

I hear ya. I live just north of the Indiana line and we have had the same weather....after it thoroughly soaked you first. The wet weather was a great time to say...darn... nothing to do but work on the layout. A serious slow down in progress on your layout is not always a bad thing. I find that I come up with neat ideas for my layout and I find a better way of doing things after reading what folks have posted here in the forum when nice weather (and my wife) dictate that there are other things that need to be done around the house. God help me if some idiot invents a way to cut grass during thunder storms.

You have a great start to what will be a very good layout. The pictures are great. And wow.. windows..you can see outside while working on he layout. I am jealous of your space as I am relegated to the basement for my layout.

Made a little progress today on sub roadbed for the rest of staging and started on the main. I'm splicing long sections together on the flat and am hoping it will help to keep it smooth and flowing as I raise it up.

Attachments

• DSCF0529.jpg
    DSCF0529.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF0530.jpg
    DSCF0530.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF0531.jpg
    DSCF0531.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 188
Just realized I never posted a main level trackplan. This is not even close to what it will end up being,as Ive already started tweaking things. The main yard and branch going to the peninsula will all be about the same level. The whole main will basically be a grade of 2% climbing from staging. I'm thinking a large refinery to the right of the yard, elevated a few inches for separation. Maybe a few background buildings needing a siding behind the yard also. On the peninsula I'm thinking a plastics plant and whatever I can squeeze in. I don't really like the tight radius turnback on the peninsula, so may use a wye after crossing the main and have a view divider down the middle. I know someone will say why such a big yard? Because I always wanted one!!! LOL I know it looks like a mess of track, but with the elevation changes I think it will look good. I'm open to any and all comments or criticisms,,,,,,,,,,,other than yard size lol
layout loose plan.jpg

Back