Help identify these reefers?

beiland

I was at a train show this past Sat and found these 2 reefers. They appear to be new cars, and I may want to use their bodies on my 'disguised pusher loco'

My question is who was the original maker??

DSCF7389.JPG

DSCF7388.JPG

Sure would love to power up those original trucks??

I don't quite understand why you don't just run a helper engine to the consist. The prototype roads did it all the time where necessary. Be that as it may, it is your railroad. If you really want to create a powered unit, check out NWSL's Stanton drive trucks. Not sure which wheelbase these milk tankers have, and what diameter the wheels are, but I believe NWSL has a model that would fit and work. I used one to power a gas/electric car, and it works well. Tractive force would depend on if you used two and added extra weight to the car.

THANK you very much Mike,...sounds like they fit the steam era very well !!

Wooden express reefers were a fixture of America's long-distance passenger trains from the late 1920s to the 60s. Hustling perishables to distant markets, they also carried mail, packages and nonperishable items. Easily identified by their unique shape and paint schemes, the cars also had heavy steel underframes, special trucks, brake gear, steam lines and signal equipment needed for passenger service. These Walthers models are faithful replicas of the General American Express Reefers seen on virtually every railroad, and look great running with streamlined or heavyweight cars. Factory assembled and finely detailed, each model features Pullman or GSC trucks as appropriate for each roadname. Also included is a complete set of add-on wire grab irons for modelers who demand ultimate realism.

Iced reefers were common on express and 'limited' passenger trains from the late 90's through to about the end of the Depression. They were always head-end cars, and trains carrying them in the consist were given priority over freight and regular passenger trains. Meat and silk were always prioritized, as was any perishable like fruits and produce, particularly if being delivered to 'high end' markets (wink wink).

Iced reefers were common on express and 'limited' passenger trains from the late 90's through to about the end of the Depression. They were always head-end cars, and trains carrying them in the consist were given priority over freight and regular passenger trains. Meat and silk were always prioritized, as was any perishable like fruits and produce, particularly if being delivered to 'high end' markets (wink wink).
I suspect you meant to say milk, not silk,...ha...ha

OK now I'm confused Those trucks are walthers GSC 920-2122 So my question is this Is the Walthers car based on Roundhouse ??

Because the H P Hood & Sons is probably a BevBel model I can't for sure find that road number but did find 5 others and I'm pretty sure they used Athearn/Roundhouse

The Soo Line is a Walthers car allmost sure

Regardless those are some fine models and don't need to be redone

They are from the same tooling I'm just saying the lettering for the H P Hood was done by Bevbel since that's all they ever did was imprint different cars and they got them mostly from Athearn Now whether they got tat car from Roundhouse or Walther's who knows
And it's quite clearly the Walthers model so I'm not sure what you're questioning here...

I'm aware of Bev-Bel, and they typically decorated Athearn or Roundhouse/MDC kits....

Now I have to figure out what diesel engine chassis I am going to hide inside these reefer bodies ?

The Proto 1000 C-Liner chassis is a prime candidate.
DSCF7340.JPG

DSCF7341.JPG

DSCF7343.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF7343.JPG
    DSCF7343.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 68

Back