helllllpppppp

nateL

Engineer
Okay so Im back again, this time...I need to know how to take the shell off my HO Athearn SD 60...I cant get it off so i dont really know where to start :confused: theres doesnt seem to be any screws except for the ones under the fuel tank but thats for the motor mount? Im wicked confused...

Please help!!

-Nate

You have to take the couplers off, and I think there are a pair of screws at the ends of the fuel tank. One of those screws is partly hidden by a piece of the fuel tank, so you'll probably have to remove the tank as well.

All of my Athearns you have to squeeze the sides of the shell to lift it off. Under your fuel tank is there 4 slots?

I have a thread where I changed out the decoder for a tsunami on an SD60i
I believe there was a screw under each truck.

Athearn RTR SD60 shells should only be held in by the coupler pockets. Chris Clune (who now runs ExactRail) did the tooling for these locos for Athearn and he did away with the annoying tabs.

The SD60i is held down by 2 screws. One under each truck next to the fuel tank. Here's a pic I took when I did a soundtraxx conversion. The stand off's that the screws use are next to the blue lines.
SD60iShelloff1.png

Ah, the Genesis locos are indeed a bit different. I almost destroyed my SD70 trying to take the shell off. With my SD70, there are no screws holding the shell in, but the shell is seperate from the walkway and the shell is held in with those annoying tabs.

All of my Athearns you have to squeeze the sides of the shell to lift it off. Under your fuel tank is there 4 slots?

If I take off the fuel tank, theres four screws...but the manual says its to hold in the motor mount...othere than that, theres no screw or any type of slot under the locomotive. Its baffleing me haha

-Nate

Athearn RTR SD60 shells should only be held in by the coupler pockets. Chris Clune (who now runs ExactRail) did the tooling for these locos for Athearn and he did away with the annoying tabs.

Really? Huh, I unscrewed the couplers the other day to see if that would work, but nothing happened...ill have to try again

-Nate

The SD60i is held down by 2 screws. One under each truck next to the fuel tank. Here's a pic I took when I did a soundtraxx conversion. The stand off's that the screws use are next to the blue lines.
SD60iShelloff1.png

Mine doesnt have those crews :confused:

[/IMG]
This is how mine is. One of the screws is partly obscured by a fuel line casting on the fuel tank, so I had to remove the tank to get at it.

Back