Helix Rail Grinder

Icheymon

New Guy
I had posted a couple of photos of this train in another thread and was asked to post a bit more detailed info. I did not want to hi-jack the thread with explanations...so here we go. I built this train sort of on a whim after seeing a LORAM grinder in action locally and finding photos on the internet. I liked how the Pandrol Jackson Grinders had some resemblance to a regular train unlike the LORAM units that looked like they were assembled by a drunken modeler. I realize in the real world function over form but the PJ trains looked good and I felt I could model them a bit easier. If you are a rivet counter you will not like this as I am an average modeler with average skills. And seeing how I am somewhat cheap I tried to build this without spending a fortune.

100_2884a.png

100_2885a.png

100_2886a.png

100_2887a.png

Locomotive HRGX 101- This is a Walthers Trainline model I bought at a train show for $20. I added an extended platform on the front similar to the ones seen on the Pandrol Jackson / Harsco units. I added a hose reel under the front of the platform and made two deck guns out of paperclips. I added a front entry door and relocated the headlight. Plumbing was ran up the rear, across the top and down to the two deck guns and the remote monitor beside the head light. I added an air conditioner unit and relocated the horns.

100_2889a.png

Slug HRGX 126- I bought a beat up Model Power ALCO at a train show for a dollar and built this slug out of it. The trucks are old metal side frame Athearn’s from a GP 9 that also became a slug. I realize the rail grinders in use now don’t have slugs but I found a photo of an old orange Pandrol Jackson unit and figured I needed one also. It has a dynamic brake on it as it was originally destined to work coal trains and I thought it looked cool so I left it on.

100_2890a.png

Locomotive HRGX 126- Once I put all four pads on the train it became very apparent that the single powered unit was going to need help. This is a Walthers Trainline model I also bought at a train show for $20. I cut the end of an old Spectrum body that was given to me and left the end grills and fan intact and now I have a “B” unit.

100_2891a.png

Water Tender Cars 901 & 907 - These are fire cars made by I think Model Power that my wife bought at a yard sale for a dollar each. I expanded the pump platforms and covered the pumps. I added fuel tanks to the top to supply the pump motors. I built cabinets under the running boards and added new roller bearing trucks. I need to add some piping and spray heads on the sides.

100_2892a.png

100_2898a.png

Control Car 321 – This is an Athearn unit that was given to me by a friend. I painted it silver as opposed to blue like the rest of the train. I added some air conditioners to the roof. A Walthers cleaning pad is mounted underneath and is able to be pinned in an up position for travel and dropped for grinding…er…cleaning. For some reason the decals keep coming off of this unit. Gremlins....

100_2893a.png

Power Car 951 – I bought this B unit at a train show for $5. It was painted in a couple of hues of orange for the Milwaukee Road so it went to the paint stripper. I added a raised roof section and put on a couple of fans and added grills on the body below. Two exhausts in the center of the roof for the generators and new bolsters and roller bearing trucks replaced the power trucks. A coat of blue for the body and black for the under body finished it up.

100_2895a.png

Rail Grinder Cars 500 & 501 – These two cars are originally LBF Skybox kits and at the price of about $26 each are the most expensive units on the entire train. I cut off the angled tops and added flat roofs with two fans on each end. I placed large mesh grills at each end of the units on the sides. I built a box out of styrene under the frame area and added castings to represent the assemblies that raise and lower the grinder heads on the outside. I am still working on the side screens that stop some of the firey spatter and I am trying to figure out how to light them for effect.

100_2894a.png

100_2896a.png

Supply Car 400 – This is an Athearn box car that was given to me by a friend. It had a poor paint job on it and I figured I could make use of it somehow. I had seen a cut down boxcar in a book of MOW units with a roll up door and built this one along the same lines. I added a crane because I thought it needed one and would look cool. The skids of barrels and other items represent lubricants and packaged grinder wheels. I have not seen one in use on a grinder train in any photos I have come across but it’s my train and I like it.

100_2897a.png

And last but not least......
Caboose 201 – This is a freebie from a junk box at a train show. I used photos of LORAM units as reference and added odds ‘n’ ends to the roof from my junk box and put more lights to the rear for safety. A Walthers cleaning pad has been added and side pieces with sensors are in the planning stages.

100_2899a.png

100_2900a.png

I must admit I thought I would never get this far on this project but overall have had a blast in the process. I hope to start adding weathering to the train soon. Other than my layout I think this had been the largest project I have tackled so far.
Hope you guys enjoy, Rich

That looks great!!! That caboose looks exactly like the Loram ballast cleaner ones!!!

The Loram rail grinders come around on our territory every so often, and let me tell you those guys on that thing are filthy all the time I guess they stay with the train for like 6 weeks at a time, but it looks like a miserable job!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I reamber when

Back in 1984. a rail grinder came through town.except it had 3 grinding cars. and just before the caboose it had a home built flat car with 2 water cannons pointing to each side of the track!!!!:cool:

Very nice Rich!
I did some work with Pandrol Jackson (now Harsco) a few years ago, I'll have to see if I can dig up the pics.
Great job on that caboose, I'll be doing one up as well.
Here's a couple shots of the light arrangement and roof details. (yup that's a BBQ up there!)
Never liked working with this train, no diner and no cook.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very impressed by the train. As for the grinding effect lights, ty to find yourself one of the arc welding lighting effect kits, and replace the blue and white bulbes with orange and yellow.

Guys thanks for the comments, its greatly appreciated...
And any help or suggestions for the lighting effects are more then welcome.

Rich

that is a kick ass setup. Would look great going around anyones home layout or a large club layout.

How well does it actually clean the tracks?

Steve, with four pads it cleans fairly well. I have ran it on two other layouts as a grinder and I had make a couple of passes on hard to reach areas, sort of like the real world. On well traveled or easy to reach track that is cleaned regularly one pass seems to do the trick. Definitely not a fast train but a fun train......

Back