Helix Rail Grinder

Rich I'm thinking of fibre optics dangling along side the rails that would give the spark effect. I like the idea of the LED's as well, maybe a combination of the two...
I'm a little way off from that part yet!

Rich - Just what I love to see, good modeling on a budget. That's a unique train and I love you didn't throw money at to get it done. Heck, it's almost could be called recycling, junk into something special. Way to go!

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! looks like I've gotta pick up some cheap equipment... but with my new job, it's the perfect project. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback. Here is where I am at right now...I have run the train a lot on my layout and on a friends layout. Things to change...I am removing the pad from the control car. It is mounted in the center and has repeatedly dropped down on one side on curves and flipped the car over. I am more than likely going to replace the entire car so am actively looking for one closer to the prototype. Both grinder cars have pads mounted on them but I moved them close to one of the trucks so the pad would track better. I need to add a lot more weight to the two grinder cars as they seem to dance about of their own volition....makes me crazy. And I have been exploring some lighting effects for the entire train....don't know if it will work but hey, it's a hobby. Oh and I am retiring the slug. It is also too light and whether I put it between the locos or behind them it to dances its way off of the tracks. Still a work in progress and still a lot of fun.....maybe I will make a smaller grinder next....
Rich

Back