Have you actually ridden a narrow Gauge train?

Almost the entire (non-Shinkansen) JR system in Japan is "cape gauge" or 3' 6" gauge. Both passenger and freight. As I've ridden them a ton over the last 16 years, I guess I've ridden a lot of narrow gauge. The JR Shinkansen network was built to standard gauge and only serves the Shinkansen bullet trains. Most of the rest of the JR network is the narrow gauge. (I learned this past summer where we were there that there are small bits and pieces of JR lines at standard gauge for various reasons). The non-JR (private) railways in Japan are a mix of narrow gauge and standard gauge. One private railway we rode a lot was the Hankyu line in the greater Osaka/Kobe area and it is standard. We also rode the Keihan line to Kyoto and it was standard.

All of my European train riding has been standard gauge but I would love to someday do the narrow gauge in Switzerland.

As a kid we rode a steam train excursion in Arizona somewhere. I don't know where etc or if it was a narrow gauge but it might have been. If so, then I have ridden one in the US.

Here are some of the typical JR narrow gauge trains we rode this summer (amongst many others), or as freight locomotives. IMG_1856.jpgIMG_1649.jpgIMG_1988.jpgIMG_1975.jpgIMG_1924.jpg

The only Steam excursion train in AZ I can think of, is the Williams to South Rim (Grand Canyon).. I also don't know if it is narrow gauge.

This was not a Grand Canyon thing and was in the early early 70s. I'll have to ask my parents if they remember (of course, at their age, that is a loaded question)

I have, on the loop around the Railroad Museum in Golden, CO. Not as good as riding something like the Durango and Silverton, but it did give us a sense of what it was like, since it was an authentic engine and cars.

NP2626 said:
"I understand that 4 foot 8 and 1/2 inches is the standard and that it came from wagon wheel width. I would prefer that there was some scientific explanation for why 4' 8.5" became the standard and not the width of a wagon's wheels. Maybe someone has an explanation?"

Sorry - new here and not sure how to use "quote" properly.

There is a sort of "historical" version of how it came to be:

Initially, chariots and wagons were developed in number, presenting a need for a type of mass production. the "two horses" standard probably has a lot a validity, but essentially, in the absence of measuring tools such as we now have, "story sticks" were used. A story stick is simply a stick with the predetermined lengths marked out, enabling the same parts to be made to the same lengths over and over gain without any need for any measuring at all, just take the marks from the first successful prototype.

As the railroads began, the primary builders were the experts in carts and wagons, who used the same story sticks, which results in 4'8.5". Brunnel and a few others tried wider gauges, and the Russians used a wider gauge clear up to recent times, but since the English were the basis for American railroads, and we were then the builders for many others, "standard gauge" ended up at 4'8.5".

And that's the story I've heard. :)

I have, on the loop around the Railroad Museum in Golden, CO. Not as good as riding something like the Durango and Silverton, but it did give us a sense of what it was like, since it was an authentic engine and cars.
Colorado's Georgetown Loop is narrowgage (3 foot, IIRC). Short run tourist attraction, takes you over the high bridge that crosses I-70. It has been awhile since I was up there. Google Colorado Narrow Gage railroads.

I have ridden the EBT twice in the late 1970's, the Georgetown Loop, and the C&TS.

I also rode broad gauge trains (5'2.5") at least once a week in the late 70's while going to college.

Does this count? Seattle’s Woodland Park Zoo train back in the early 1960s. It was awesome.

View attachment 123774
Is it still there? I am finding many of the trains in parks, zoos, and other similar places are being taken out. The train at the Kansas State Fair ground is a tiny remembrance of its former glory. I am guessing at the next redesign it too will be gone.

I have been there many times. I used to ski a lot on the Purgatory mountain. I also fly fished the Animas river countless times and would take the train to various spots/stops along the way and walk in. I have not been back since the horrible copper mine spills that destroyed the river habitat. Of course there was no consequences to the perpetrators. That angered me so much. Anyhow I have enjoyed many trips to Durango and taken the full trips and 1/2 trips on the line to Silverton. I love that part of the country. I would fly in to Albuquerque NM and drive up to Durango. Wonderful drive! I have many pictures of of my trips some on 35mm and some on the early digital cameras. (remember the old Sony Mavica? 🤣 with the 3.5 floppy drives) Ah I will go back again someday or not. I have lived in 5 different states in my life thus far and have visited and spent time in all the states except Alaska. I am planning a trip there that will include riding the Alaskan rails and fishing of course. I even been to Hawaii 7 times and rode the RR around the Dole plantation a few times! I have been around in and out of the country. It's funny when I meet people that have never left their home town or state it blows my mind. Traveling is an education in itself in my opinion and it opens up your mind and soul to a lot of things the world has to offer. Anyways enough rambling. Ya if ya never been to Durango & Silverton.....I recommend it!

I have not been back since the horrible copper mine spills that destroyed the river habitat. Of course there was no consequences to the perpetrators.
Do you mean these guys?
According to the EPA, the spill occurred when one of its (the EPA's) teams was using heavy equipment to enter the Gold King Mine, a suspended mine near Durango. Instead of entering the mine and beginning the process of pumping and treating the contaminated water inside as planned, the team accidentally caused it to flow into the nearby Animas River.

Do you mean these guys?
According to the EPA, the spill occurred when one of its (the EPA's) teams was using heavy equipment to enter the Gold King Mine, a suspended mine near Durango. Instead of entering the mine and beginning the process of pumping and treating the contaminated water inside as planned, the team accidentally caused it to flow into the nearby Animas River.

Yup them jack holes pissed me off. It really devastated the river aquatic life there. A buddy of mine went there last year he said it was really bad. We always enjoyed the fly fishing there up until that happened. Some of the best trout fishing in the world at least in the top 10. Not anymore. It will take about 20 years to get back to what it was or longer. Fortunately I live near Battenkill River which also another top notch fly fishing river also in the top 10. I still go to the Davidson River every year down in NC too. I used to frequent the Red river in Arkansas as well.

Rode one when we were visiting Alaska. Stepped out on platform at rear of car to make some photos. I am terrified of heights. Made a few shots then as train started around a curve I happened to look down - saw nothing but space and some trees about a mile below. It was then I decided I had made enough photos.

Back