Have you actually ridden a narrow Gauge train?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

rgeiter

Conrail
Exactly why 4' 8 1/2 inches instead of something nice and even like 5' I cannot answer. I do not feel like doing all the calculations to find where the theoretical ideal would be. I'm guessing it is close. Plus with today's materials (steel vs iron etc.) it would be a different answer than it was back when the standard was set.
Rumor has it that 4’8 1/2” was the measurement between the wheels of a Roman chariot. Supposedly that became the “standard” wheel distance. I repeat rumor. I have never attempted to prove or disprove this rumor/ theory.

skyliner

Well, I didn't think these would come in use someday. A few pictures from the Maine Narrow Gauge RR Museum in Portland ME, taken when I was there in 2018:

DSC_4740.jpg

No. 1 is a 1949 GE 23-tonner.

DSC_4741.jpg

Track gauge here is 2'.

DSC_4742.jpg

Much of the equipment here is from the former Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes RR.

DSC_4739.jpg

Like a dollhouse version of a Pullman.

DSC_4736.jpg

Hi all.
Taken about 6 years ago on the Welsh Highland Railway between Caernarfon and Portmadog in North Wales.
Two 2 foot gauge 2-6-2 + 2-6-2 Beyer Garratt locomotives ex South Africa.
This line was rebuilt over several years by the Ffestiniog Railway after it was torn up in the 1930s.

IMG_0227.JPG

Porthmadog Harbour station with Garratt and Fairlie locos. Both 2 foot gauge.
The Farlie ( Double ended) locos run on the Ffestiniog line from Porthmadog to Blaneau Ffestiniog.
Note the difference in size between the two locos due to the limited loading gauge on the Ffestiniog line.

DSC00108.JPG

This line is only about 3 miles from my home and has a collection of many 2 foot gauge locos and has had in steam up to 20 locos on an open day.
This loco is a Mallet tank and has also visited the Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland lines where three types of articulated locoscould be seen running !
I saw this loco heading for Porthmadog one day near the supermarket I use in transit on a low-loader truck which was a surprise.

DSC00048.JPG

Colin.

boatwrench

The Swanton Pacific Railroad located in Swanton which is part way between San Francisco and Santa Cruz, CA was my favorite. The equipment was originally used to transport passengers between San Francisco's Ferry Building and Palace of Fine Arts during the 1918 Pan-Pacific Exposition.

Also have ridden the White Pass & Yukon and Durango & Southern,

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.