H20-44 by Atlas?

Well, Walthers could certainly stretch H10-44 frame by three feet, adjust the wheelbase, and change a few external details and produce an H20-44. Since Atlas currently makes no FM units, I think that would be a tough sell. Any reason you're thinking Atlas instead of Walthers?

Depends how many roads had them, how many were built, and so forth leading up to the big question: How many can they sell?

For this prototype, with less than 100 built, you'll be lucky to see one in brass. I doubt that the major plastic model manufacturers would be interested in doing something this obscure.

UP2CSX - You make a good point. Walthers would be a suitable candidate as well. I figured Atlas would be the natural candidate because they already make the early version of the H16-44, which has a very similar long hood to the H20-44, but the H10-44 would work as well.

Espeefan - Although only 100 were made, the Union Pacific, New York Central, Pennsylvania were among the owners. (Unfortunately, I fear there are too few people modeling these roads any longer to justify a modern plastic model). In comparison, there were only 177 Alco HH switchers built, but there were many more railroads that operated them.

I have collected a few undecorated Atlas H16-44 shells and frames along with an old Alco Models brass model for reference. Someday, I hope to have the time to kitbash a few H20-44's.

Espeefan - Although only 100 were made, the Union Pacific, New York Central, Pennsylvania were among the owners. (Unfortunately, I fear there are too few people modeling these roads any longer to justify a modern plastic model).

There might be more demand than the obvious. Those who model their own private roads such as myself have the freedom of a modeler's license to run anything that they like as long as it works for their timeframe and purpose. This often includes used equipment from the big roads when they dispose of it. These are the modellers who would willingly buy an Undec version.

Bachman has and still offers their 44 and 70 tonners prepainted but without a road name or number and they seem to be selling fairly well as long as you can live with the limited choices they offer.

So to get back to the original post, with enough requests and including Undecs in the finished product, an H20-44 could be a winner all around.

Sorry, I meant that Atlas makes no end cab FM units. The H14/16-44 from Atlas would require major retooling for an H20-44 since the frame is three feet too long and the body, except for some end details, bears no resemblance to an H20-44. Alan has a good point. Not only was this a low production unit but many were either repowered or scrapped fairly early in their lives compared to other switchers. To make matters worse, there's a lot of variation in car body styles depending on the year it was produced and for what railroad. That's makes the H20-44 a non-starter for a plastic model.

Mike, much as I'd like to see an H20-44 (being a UP fan), I don't think the 70 tonner comparison holds up as a business model. Even though both engines were produced during about the same time period, there were about 300 70 tonners built compared 96 H20-44's. The 70 tonner went through three phases but the body type was essentially similar for all 70 tonners, making it an easier model to produce. 70 tonners were used by over 25 Class 1 railroads and numerous shortlines and industries. I don't know the total number but there are a sizeable number of 70 tonners still at work today. The last H20-44 was retired about 1970 and only because the AC&Y and the N&W managed to keep FM locomotives running longer than other railroads. The 70 tonner is almost iconic as a small switcher and every railfan has seen one. The H20-44 was an oddity that hasn't been seen on the rails in almost 40 years and has none of the endearing qualities of things like UP turbines or Baldwin Centipedes. It was neither a switcher nor road engine but was sold as a transfer engine, a job that was taken over by Geeps early on. Other FM locomotives. like the Trainmaster, have a big following among railfans. The H20-44 just sort of slipped into oblivion.

Again, I'm trying to think like Atlas or Walthers. Is it worth it to produce and H20-44? Will we make money? Even the H10-44 made more sense for Walthers, since it was sold to 22 railroads and their "hometown" railroad, the MILW, was the second largest user. Do we retool it and make an engine that only sold to five railroads? I's like to see it done but I don't think I could make a business plan for it that made sense.

Also, the 70 tonner fits a niche, for those with shelf layouts or small industrial switching layouts. The HH has some historical significance. OTOH, there is no shortage of road switchers. It's an interesting looking prototype, but I don't think it would return the investment for Atlas or Walthers.

If you want to lobby someone, lobby Overland. They're more likely to be interested.

Jim I wasn't saying an H20-44 is as popular as a 70 tonner. My point was Bachman offers it in other than specific roadnames and that has to appeal to modellers looking for something other than the L&N and other roads they paint it for. If I were Atlas or anyone else and thinking of making a model I'd include Undecs in the survey as a way to encourage a broader range of buyers.

Mike, no argument there. As a matter of fact, I don't think Bachmann offers the 70 tonner in true undecorated form, e.g., unpainted plastic. They offer it in a lot of unlettered paint schemes that makes it easy of a guy who wants a few shortline engines to just add some decals instead of starting from ground zero with priming and painting. I think that's what both Atlas and Walthers are missing in terms of expanding their market for minority prototype models. Offer models in four or five basic paint schemes that mimic major roads but leave off the lettering. There are a lot more modelers who can do decaling than there are ones who have the equipment and skill to start from grey plastic. The true undecorated model still has a market but a painted but unlettered model greatly expands your market, as Bachmann has proved with their 44 and 70 tonner models.

Back