Greetings from Jess Red Horse.

Jess Red Horse

Friendly Indian!
This is a long over due HOWDY too all my MRRing friends.:eek:

I'm sorry that I've been away from the boards for so long but with all I have to do before the nasty New England Winter sets in I'm surprised that I have time to blink:eek:.

I went to run my trains for the first time since I put in my elevated main street over a portion of my tracks and I've discovered that cleaning the tracks under the elevated road way is a real pain in the brass too get at:eek:.

I will now have to remove this nice section and have to remake it so that it can be removed for cleaning, there is a way to get at the trains when they derail but it is a tricky thing too do so now I've realized that I must now redesign this feature of my layout.

Well I sort of thought I'd have enough space to maintain the tracks by accessing the train cars from the side of the "road bridge" but I did not think it was going to cause this much trouble.

Heres a few pics of my raised Main street so that you can see what I'm trying too explain here.

BusandF3underroadwaybest.jpg

concreteroadnowhitelines.jpg

I've been trying too catch up on reading the posts here and have been answering some old PMs (sorry too those whom I have not responded too untill now).

Things at work have slowed down a lot since the tourists went back home until ski season but it is that time of year where I must get this house , our out building and the land ready for a New England Winter season, so much too do.

When the work is all done I'll then have time to turn my attention back to my layout, I still have some detailing to do on my tracks, I'm entertaining the idea of doing the balast on my tracks, I just think that tracks with balast look so much better and a little closer to real life.

I haven't been buying anything new for the layout in a while but I'm looking forward to adding some better details soon.

Oh, I almost forgot, I repainted the quarry in earth tones, no more Pep-Toe-bismo pink, as you recall I had my pipe stone quarry with the rocks a pink color, some called it a cotton candy pink and others thought it looked like I was mineing cake frosting LOL!

Before:
QuarryPicsLeftsideloadingbridge1.jpg

After:
EarthquarrywithstargateontruckAAAA.jpg

I really like the dino bone piles that are now at the bottom of the quarry.

Quarrybones1withreddumptrk.jpg

Well before I type a novel here I better attach some pics to this.

I have scratch built a Star Gate from the TV series for my layout,
StarGateintruckbed1.jpg

I just wanted to say hello and let my friends here know that I have not left the hobby, how could I, this is still the best darn stress fighter I could find, even my Doc is pleased with how well I've been managing my blood pressure, she asked if I was taking yoga or something and I told her all about my new hobby and she encouraged me to keep at it.

Be well my friends, and I will do my best to post more often.
Jess Red Horse.

Hey Jess, great to hear from you! (got the PM)
Layout's looking better all the time, love that Partridge bus!
I think you need to get a track cleaning car and just run it around now and then. Yeah, reaching under things is never much fun.
Funny, this hobby can lower your blood pressure but it can also raise it sometimes! LOL

Wow, that pit really does look better with the new color! Hope you can get the raised section worked out.

I will agree, the pit looks better, but I think there could be a big demand for bulk frosting.

Should have added a bakery to the layout :D

Welcome back though. And I hear you on getting ready for winter. Although I was lucky and that work has actually allowed some expansion on the layout construction.

Welcome back Jess, I always enjoy reading your posts. All of us make mistakes, but we learn from them and become better modelers in the process!

Nice to see you again, Jess, I second the idea of getting a track cleaning car rather trying to make the track removable.

The quarry looks a lot more like what I'd expect a quarry to look like now. :)

Ballasting the tracks will improve the appearance and realism of your layout a lot. The first thing I would do is get some railroad tie brown in a spray can, mask well, and respray the roadbed to get rid of the gray color. It looks like you have Bachmann E-Z track and painting it before ballasting will really help with the overall look.

It looks like you have a nasty kink in the curved rail just beyond the police car in the second picture. It's things like this you want look for and get fixed before you ballast. Your trains should be able to run 100% of the time without derailing before you ballast. Once your track is ballasted, it's almost impossible to fix track problems without tearing up a lot of work.

The quarry looks so much better now, Jess and I thought your Stargate was a really cool touch although how are you going to explain what it is to the wee people on your layout without compromising national security, lol!

Hello Jess,
Good to hear from you again, no need to apologize from my stantpoint we all have various things come up and your work takes precidence over other things. Glad to hear you're getting in a little time on the layout, it is relaxing but can be a bit frustrating too till you figure out how to handle the various situations.

Your quite creative and it shows so have fun.

Tak care,

Back