Glue

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Michael J

New model railroader
I have seen some comments that the old-type cement in a tube is not the best way to go. Are there any recommendations as to what might be better, and how it should be applied? Thank you.

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Testors liquid plastic cement works fine on styrene as does Plastruct Plastic Weld which is also a liquid. Hold the 2 parts together and apply with a small brush along the joint - from the inside if possible. Liquid cements will not fill in any gaps like the old tube glue so a smooth fit is needed. Often a few strokes of a smooth file or sandpaper held on a wood block is all that is needed. I also lightly run a piece of 320 grit paper over the surfaces before glueing even if they fit well as I find it allows the liquid cement to act a bit faster than on a smooth molded surface. For small parts a fine micro brush is great for applying the cement.

CNR Glen

I'll second Mike's recommendation. I have some plastic structures on my layout that I built with testors liquid glue 20 years ago that won't come apart, even if I want them to!

Vince-RA

I like Faller Expert - more or less like any styrene solvent but comes in a nice bottle with very small and precise applicator tip. For me, dealing with model pieces, solvent, and a brush to apply it is probably a recipe for disaster :)

kjd

Go make something!
I bought a quart of MEK for a big project I was doing since buying enough hobby glue would have broken the budget. I still have about half of it left and it will probably last years. MEK substitute doesn't work as far as I know.

CNR Glen

I worked with MEK for 10 years in aviation . I can't use it anymore, the fumes give me headaches

Last edited by a moderator:

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Pretty much all of the solvent type cements can cause unhealthy reactions and should be used in a well ventilated area. I do have a bottle of MEK on hand for when I run out of the hobby cements but like Glen, I find it a bit less user friendly.

Michael J

New model railroader
Another member of our club gave me a small bottle of methylene chloride solvent, which is what he uses. Any tips on using this? I am unfamiliar with it.

railfan

junk collector
Another member of our club gave me a small bottle of methylene chloride solvent, which is what he uses. Any tips on using this? I am unfamiliar with it.
It's described as an accute inhalation hazard potentially causing nervous system problems......at least as bad as numerous other hobby chemicals. Sorry I did not see about how to use it.......other than......carefully.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.