Glue

Michael J

New model railroader
I have seen some comments that the old-type cement in a tube is not the best way to go. Are there any recommendations as to what might be better, and how it should be applied? Thank you.

Testors liquid plastic cement works fine on styrene as does Plastruct Plastic Weld which is also a liquid. Hold the 2 parts together and apply with a small brush along the joint - from the inside if possible. Liquid cements will not fill in any gaps like the old tube glue so a smooth fit is needed. Often a few strokes of a smooth file or sandpaper held on a wood block is all that is needed. I also lightly run a piece of 320 grit paper over the surfaces before glueing even if they fit well as I find it allows the liquid cement to act a bit faster than on a smooth molded surface. For small parts a fine micro brush is great for applying the cement.

I'll second Mike's recommendation. I have some plastic structures on my layout that I built with testors liquid glue 20 years ago that won't come apart, even if I want them to!

I like Faller Expert - more or less like any styrene solvent but comes in a nice bottle with very small and precise applicator tip. For me, dealing with model pieces, solvent, and a brush to apply it is probably a recipe for disaster :)

I bought a quart of MEK for a big project I was doing since buying enough hobby glue would have broken the budget. I still have about half of it left and it will probably last years. MEK substitute doesn't work as far as I know.

I worked with MEK for 10 years in aviation . I can't use it anymore, the fumes give me headaches

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much all of the solvent type cements can cause unhealthy reactions and should be used in a well ventilated area. I do have a bottle of MEK on hand for when I run out of the hobby cements but like Glen, I find it a bit less user friendly.

Lloyd Bridges in his MRR days...

43279d1323294098-yup-lte-down-again-glue.jpg

Now we know what was in the scuba tanks on his tv series Sea Hunt.

Another member of our club gave me a small bottle of methylene chloride solvent, which is what he uses. Any tips on using this? I am unfamiliar with it.

Another member of our club gave me a small bottle of methylene chloride solvent, which is what he uses. Any tips on using this? I am unfamiliar with it.
It's described as an accute inhalation hazard potentially causing nervous system problems......at least as bad as numerous other hobby chemicals. Sorry I did not see about how to use it.......other than......carefully.

Back