Fun Fare 5/9

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
A traveler on the Milwaukee Railroad was giving the dining-car waiter his order. "And for dessert," he said, "I'll have some offee and plum pudding."

"I'm sorry, sir," said the waiter. "We don't have any plum pudding."

"What!" cried the passenger. "You don't have any plum pudding? That's absurd. My man, I am one of your biggest customers. I ship hundreds of carloads of freight every month. And once, once! --when I travel on your line I cannot get what I want to eat. I'll take this up with management. I'll go to the top."

The steward, interceding, called the waiter aside. "When we stop in Milwaukee in a few minutes," he said, "we'll get a plum pudding. Tell the chef to make hard sauce and serve some of that good brandy with it." It was done. Just out of Milwaukee the waiter reappeared at the customer's side, smiling proudly.

"Well, sir," he said, "I'm happy to tell you that we have the plum pudding, and the chef has been working all the way on the sauce. He hopes you like it. And with it, with the compliments of the line, we would like to serve you this 50-year-old brady."

The waiter paused for the expected result. The customer paused, too, to digest this new developement. Then he threw his napkin on the table with a gesture of fiery defiance.

"The hell with it!" he said. "I'd rather be mad."

Back