Front End Friday

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Espeefan

The Heavyweight Super Chief, 1937-ish:
IMG_1649.JPG

jmupton2000

John M Upton
The two scales and interests I do most of my modelling in, HO scale US and UK British Rail N scale.
20240126_131808.jpg

Cotton Belt/SSW's one and only GP7 304 (one of my first ever custom rebuild/repaint models I did in this scale and pride of the fleet) plus, newly arrived this morning Class 37 in BR Departmental Grey awaiting renumbering as 37262.

KriegslokBR52

Interesting front end. (Lol my first thought was something else, dirty mind I guess 🤣).. but what are those 2.. what look like tank heads all about? I have never seen that before. Are they water tanks?. boilers? Inquiring minds wanna know 🙂
You dirty man😆, yes this locomotive class was referred to as locomotive with breasts😃. These are air tanks. When the first of its class was built, it had no power reverse, or water heater. Once it was decided to fit the "Hippos" with these accessories, there was no space for air tanks and they were placed on the pilot deck and became instantly recognizeable as the I1 class feature. Here it is from the side:
IMG_20240116_174913944~2.jpg

dgrafix

You dirty man😆, yes this locomotive class was referred to as locomotive with breasts😃. These are air tanks. When the first of its class was built, it had no power reverse, or water heater. Once it was decided to fit the "Hippos" with these accessories, there was no space for air tanks and they were placed on the pilot deck and became instantly recognizeable as the I1 class feature. Here it is from the side:View attachment 180129
Interesting, thanks for the reply :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.