From Toy to Show Peice - Caboose built by commitee

Well, the basement flooded this weekend. All my train stuff seems to have survived (knock on wood...). And in the aftermath of dealing with that, I also managed to get a little work done.

Started out by painting the inside of the caboose. I figured I would go with that 60's - 70's teal color. Seemed pretty fitting. Then I found some good clear plastic and glazed in some windows:
B84C5A19-8772-46AB-BA95-5B6453FFC12F_zpsty6i6qrn.jpg

It does make a big difference in the appearance:
7006FFF0-35D1-4FDD-AC24-A77866FB5DBE_zpsysiqwxei.jpg

Back on the platform and it already looks amazing better:
3CA72B97-BAB8-4CFF-8536-621167A4ECEC_zps4o8yxob2.jpg

The handrails will be next as soon as I can get the wire.
I checked outed ebay. What about something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/240-Head-Pi...703517?hash=item3d320cc81d:g:nKwAAOSwUKxYka3X

Here is my starting point:
824E6888-736F-418F-9918-08A0D2692654_zps98bdqaey.jpg

I figure: Cut off everything except the brake wheel stand. Rebuild the rest with the wire (once I get it).

Any tips on building ladders?

The pins would work. Brass wire also. Your work, your choice.
Ladder - I would use extra-long pieces and trim after soldering. Tape the rails to a board, solder the rungs, clip to size.
Then purchase chain to complete it.

A caboose of the 60's and 70's must have crash bars by RR rules - heavier 2x4 I-beams from deck to roof. The chain would fasten to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
eBay wire found and ordered. Started in on getting some work done.

Cut up one set of railings and started my first attempts at ladders.
51955646-DD1C-4459-85E5-8B94297E5366_zpsurvjlftc.jpg

The ladders and railings are going to take more work, but I also got some of the hand rails worked on. Turns out my Xacto knife is the perfect diameter to bending up the handrails.
D8E189D1-4B5C-422D-B14B-35B237F23DCD_zpsttglca3v.jpg

And with a little more work on the top, and brain power slowing fading away, one side is nearly ready:
59A9DCC1-3AF1-4CA8-B797-3A3AC350C59F_zpsixywu02x.jpg

Now I have to finish the other side and work on the railings.

Also, the ladders have to go somewhere. This toy model shows the landing pad for the ladders. I'll have to fabricate something with styrene.
11243_TQ.jpg

Sorry. Haven't gotten much work done on the caboose. I've got a really good excuse, though: I just brought this home from the hospital about two weeks ago:
787DF7DB-63F1-4498-B92D-17933FB623FB_zpsray0t2kd.jpg

We're finally starting to get some sleep patterns figured out, so work should resume shortly.

And we just boxed up the older boy's wooden Thomas trains, too. Gonna have to bust them back out soon enough. And you know what? I'm okay with that. :D

Those particular hobbies that you have shown us there are very time consuming and they are expensive to maintain as well!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! As you'll figure out, number 2 will be significantly different than number 1 was. All the tricks and techniques that worked for the first born will NOT work for the second! Good luck.

Hey congratulations!
I can just hear him yelling "no Dad, paint it Cascade Green, not red!"

Congrats! This should go into Recent Purchases (grin)

Yep, this should definitely be cross-posted in recent purchases.
Lovely child. Enjoy many of developing and programming.

Sorry. Haven't gotten much work done on the caboose. I've got a really good excuse, though: I just brought this home from the hospital about two weeks ago:

We're finally starting to get some sleep patterns figured out, so work should resume shortly.

And we just boxed up the older boy's wooden Thomas trains, too. Gonna have to bust them back out soon enough. And you know what? I'm okay with that. :D

Okay, between eating, sleeping, pooping, and spitting up... and dealing with the baby :)rolleyes:), I managed to get some work done on the caboose.

I finished up the cat walks, ladders and railings. Managed to get them all painted and soldered and glued into place. I am considering the basic construction done.

82AEEF5C-7770-49F6-AB59-84BD5E923FBB_zpsw83vdfqh.jpg

Now I have to think about the little nuances. Should the end railings be white? Paint the trim on the windows? Then I have to think about weathering...

Back